High Boost ignition systems

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Has anybody else run into problems boosting above 1.6 - 1.7 bar with (3071R Turbo) the standard Pulsar ignition system.

If so what did you do to get round it ??

Steve

mattygti-r

was talking to dooie about this the other day , dont believe he does have an issue uses the standard nissan system

you can always buy a hks amp for it anyways

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
mattygti-r said:
was talking to dooie about this the other day , dont believe he does have an issue uses the standard nissan system

you can always buy a hks amp for it anyways
Well, bearing in mind I've just had a mapping session with Ed, and using the standard coil with Denso IK27 plugs set at 7 thou, at around the 1.6 bar mark we got slight misfires in the higher rev/peak torque range, we think it's the standard (14 year old, designed for under 1 bar) Nissan ignition system spark not strong enough. Ed mentioned that Stu's car did the same thing after 1.6 bar.

I did have the MSD Blaster coil fitted last time Ed mapped my car but that did the same sort of thing only it was far worse and we had complete spark blow out in the same sort of place. At the time we thought it was due to the Nissan system not being strong enough to saturate the SS Blaster coil and thus the coil not producing a significantly stronger than standard spark and in order to work efficiently it needs one of the series 6 MSD Ignition boxes http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_4_6200.htm

Anyway despite the fact I have changed back to the standard coil, I was thinking as I already have a MSD Blaster coil I would get the matching above MSD Ignition controller box. Has anyone else here used it ?? as all the reviews and forums I've read have said they had good results.

Thoughts anyone ?

Steve

mad max

hi i have the msd blaster coil fitted and running 1.7 bar with no probs ,ok its not pushing out over 400 bhp but that is due to another prob which is being fixed next week (i hope)

ashills

steve at 1.6 bar i used to run .6 gap on teh plugs and they were fine might be worth a try as unless u have a fault u should be ok

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yeah, I had the SS Blaster coil when I had the Power FC and the smaller turbo (GT28RS) and ran a max of 1.8 bar without a problem. I think that becuase I have upgraded to the 3071R and it runs that much more air that it blows out the weaker spark at higher boost.
In fact nearly all the people I know that swapped over to using just the Blaster coil on it's own have now swapped back due to misfire at high boost problems. It needs it's Ignition power pack thing as I mentioned above to work 100%.

Steve

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
ashills said:
steve at 1.6 bar i used to run .6 gap on teh plugs and they were fine might be worth a try as unless u have a fault u should be ok
Yeah I might try that, although at the moment I'm running about 1.55 bar and it's ok.

Would like to see what happens when you do use the complete MSD kit though :-D .

What doe's Loui run ??

F

Fusion Ed

I have had lots of pulsars begin to get unreliable at 1.6 bar+ @ 11.9-12 afr. You can cure the missfire and run higher boost if you lean it out as the spark required to ignite this is less. (fuel is an insulator)..

Steve as I said if you get a driver that will correctly saturate the blaster coil then it will be a non issue, and you wont have to run silly close gaps that ultimately can cause a non fire due to other reasons....

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fusion Ed said:
Steve as I said if you get a driver that will correctly saturate the blaster coil then it will be a non issue, and you wont have to run silly close gaps that ultimately can cause a non fire due to other reasons....
I plan on getting the MSD 6A control box and the air temp sensor Omex use then make another appointment, so we can get rid of that MAF sensor and wind the boost up a little more :-D

Steve

F

Fusion Ed

Sounds fun ;) May need to at some date arrange a Fusion battle of the best of all the 400bhp+ pulsars haha!!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
stevepudney said:
I plan on getting the MSD 6A control box and the air temp sensor Omex use then make another appointment, so we can get rid of that MAF sensor and wind the boost up a little more :-D

Steve

Spoke to Ed on the PM's an so i've just ordered that same MSD 6A Ignition System to work with my MSD SS Blaster Coil... :-D

Rishi

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I sent the details to the person mapping my car and he said he used the very same system in a 2.2L T88 MR2 they look after... Works very well apparently... :-D

Rishi