Heat Wrap, Whice one?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just recently I’ve been in discussion with a friend about heat wrapping.

The argument against heat wrap is that the heat has no way of radiating out of the pipework and cooling as it usually would. There are only two other directions it can go, down the exhaust and up it back into the head.
As heat doesn’t follow flow as gas does, there is an equal amount heading back into the head where many people have suffered with burnt valve seats, guides and in some cases cracks between the ports.
On turbo cars there’s even more heat due to the nature of the charger and it’s kept very close to the head. Also the pipe material comes under tremendous strain as it’s exposed to extremes of temperatures
The main consensus is to wrap or blanket the turbo and then leave the downpipe free.

gtirx2

That's 15m of wrap? Holly guacamole; DEI recommend a 1/4" overlap on their product so I would have thought 15m was enough to do a V8 manifold!
Lol i know i did put it on a bit heavy and have overlapped more than once in places.
Trouble is due to the shape of the manifold it is nearly impossible to cover it all without over lapping it.
I also did not want any open areas left on the manifold as it can apparently cause hot spots which can crack cast manifolds and even in extreme cases catch the wrapping on fire!?
I do not know how much of the above is true so i just wrapped it best i could.