Heat Wrap, Whice one?

billy187

Right ive just had a full custom exhaust made up along with a downpipe and elbow for my 3071r. Its not been fitted yet so thought it might be a good idea to get it all heat wrapped? dont want to go all out and spend £200 on a roll, just something cheap and chearfull :lol:

What have you lot used and would recommend? Some links would be great....

Cheers

Billy

R

riske

Pm me how much your exhaust system cost to make dude.

Ebay heat wrap is ok for what you want to do

billy187

will get a pic up later on...

anyone actually got a link for me for some heat wrap that they have used and recommend then? :)

Braveheart

cheers thanks for that, any ideas on how many rolls of that id need to cover a full exhaust and downpipe...
Why do the full system..... Just lag the manifold and downpipe. If you get a jacket for the turbo and elbow, even better. There is little to no benefit in lagging the rest.

Last edited:

billy187

Heres a couple of pics of the custom exhaust that a few people asked for: the back box is an apexi n1 and its been made to exit the opposite side to normal.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Why do the full system..... Just lag the manifold and downpipe.
So how much tape do you need for that? I was thinking of doing the manifold; that makes more sense to me than lagging the intercooler pipework (especially as so much is covered by silicone already).

antgtir

Im with Braveheart on this one, absolutely no point imo in lagging the whole exhaust, ou want the heat to escape the exhaust not be retained. Its only really the hot parts under the bonnet you want to lag i.e. reduce under bonnet temps.

Ant.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
My bad - I just meant approximately how much lagging does it take to cover the manifold?
I might be tempted to do the downpipe if I had some left over, but I'd probably leave it alone if I don't.
5m, 7m, 10m?

dobby

Im with Braveheart on this one, absolutely no point imo in lagging the whole exhaust, ou want the heat to escape the exhaust not be retained. Its only really the hot parts under the bonnet you want to lag i.e. reduce under bonnet temps.

Ant.
I disagree. You want the exhaust to stay hot so it is easier to push out. Cold air is heavier. It may not cause much back pressure but in theory it will.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
When you look at the size bore on some of these exhaust systems, that's probably a moot point. You're quite right though dobby - push the gas out the back as quickly as possible; however you still want the pressure drop after the turbo.

I was also thinking that if you lag the manifold (and maybe the downpipe), you keep them both hotter (as they can't cool through radiant heat) so you'll have a better post-cylinder burn-off... and lower emissions? Will the lambda sensor give a slightly different reading?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Ok - one more question... it's still on topic, so I'm not really hijacking the thread.
Do you need the spray to go over the top, or will it be fine as it is? I don't see fibreglass rotting; it's not organic. However, I don't want to go to the effort and have it all go to crap because I didn't coat the wrap with some spray when I was done.

gtirx2

My bad - I just meant approximately how much lagging does it take to cover the manifold?
I might be tempted to do the downpipe if I had some left over, but I'd probably leave it alone if I don't.
5m, 7m, 10m?
I used this stuff from rally design...

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=261_262&products_id=1599

I used nearly all of it bar 5-10inchs that was left over.

I also used some of there locking wire...

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=261_266&products_id=1614

When i did mine i removed all the heat shield mounting points off the manifold and also cut out the webbing between the 1/2-3/4 cylinders.

As you can see i have gone over board with the wire but i did not want it coming off as i have heared it does go hard and cracks off in the end.

red reading

no it's not,thats why i did'nt buy that system ,you bought it off "the lamb" or whatever he's called R.c developments were supposed to have made that system

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I used this stuff from rally design...

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=261_262&products_id=1599

I used nearly all of it bar 5-10inchs that was left over.
That's 15m of wrap? Holly guacamole; DEI recommend a 1/4" overlap on their product so I would have thought 15m was enough to do a V8 manifold!

When i did mine i removed all the heat shield mounting points off the manifold and also cut out the webbing between the 1/2-3/4 cylinders.
<snip>

As you can see i have gone over board with the wire but i did not want it coming off as i have heared it does go hard and cracks off in the end.
I was thinking of trying to do it fubar andy style, and not take the manifold off the engine... I might re-think that one though; it all depends how much grief the exaust bolts give me.

I guess if I've got any left-over then I'll do the downpipe... or maybe I'll start lagging the intercooler. - I have a theory; there's no point lagging the pipework before the intercooler. The air has already come through the hot turbo, and the pipework may actually help it radiate some of the heat back. However, after the intercooler, I don't want it to heat back up again; so that's the bit I'd lag.

Crazy? Maybe. Or maybe it's crazy enough that it just might work!

PS - Thanks for the information!