Gunge in Forge Seperator Can

olliecast

Hi All,
I ended up cleaning out my forge seperator can last year as it started leaking gunge from the pipe usually connected to the inlet (now just vents to atmostphere).
This is how i`ve got it plumbed:

the top left just vents to atmostphere
the top right goes to the rocker cover
the one at 3 o`clock goes to the sump return.

Its now returned with all its gunginess again! i found this out as it starts putting small amounts of spunk under the filler cap when its full. When its clear, under the filler cap is fine.

There also alot of water in the pipes and it p*ssess out the sump return one when undone from the can.

Here`s a pic of the rocker cover -> catch can with the gunge:

and the gunge:

what do you think it is??

I use a tiny amount of water but only have to top up prob once a year.

Engine temps are fine and the car seems to drive very well.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
ollie

P

pulsarboby

what you have done is remove the oil water seperator (oe black can) that is not an oil catch can!`
a few people have done this and you will end up with water mixing with oil through condensation.

i left my oe one in place on the other engine and never had a prob with the oil catch can filling with gunge so it maybe better that you reinstall that and plumb in the catchcan so the pipe that originally comes off rocker cover that goes to induction pipe instead runs to catchcan and other side of it breathes to atmosphere.

also the prob will always be worst in winter when more condensation forms due to the difference in temperatures

olliecast

Hmmm, interesting.

I thought the forge unit replaced the standard oil seperator aswell.

Could i not block off the sump return (engine side) and connect the return on the forge tank to a clear bottle, then empty as necessary?

Now does the standard seperator do the water then yet the forge doesn`t?

Cheers,
ollie

what you have done is remove the oil water seperator (oe black can) that is not an oil catch can!`
a few people have done this and you will end up with water mixing with oil through condensation.

i left my oe one in place on the other engine and never had a prob with the oil catch can filling with gunge so it maybe better that you reinstall that and plumb in the catchcan so the pipe that originally comes off rocker cover that goes to induction pipe instead runs to catchcan and other side of it breathes to atmosphere.

also the prob will always be worst in winter when more condensation forms due to the difference in temperatures

P

pulsarboby

you cant block the sump return off or it wont be able to breath and you run a risk of blowing oil seals etc, especially if you have any sump pressure

not sure how it works tbh, the only thing i can assume is that because its located next to ex manifold the heat could evaporate the condensation! ive never took one apart before but would imagine theres some sort of gauze in there which traps the water/oil 'globlets' like that word:lol: then the water could evaporate allowing the thinner oil to pass through.

an oil catchcan is what it is, its not designed to seperate water from oil, its just a tin with 2 pipes which holds the oil on piston blowby so it will merely clog up when it comes into contact with water or condensation

olliecast

just bothers me that the return to the sump was nigh on blocked anyway with the gloopy shite.

Could i run a small filter on the sump return for it to breathe, then connect the clear bottle to the return of the forge seperator? The reason is i don`t want all of the crap going down the sump return and into my engine,

cheers,
ollie

olliecast

Possible.

Ollie - have you been using the car for short distances? So the car just about reaches warm then you've reached your destination and turn it off?
yeah last few weeks i`ve used it for work ~3 miles as i`ve been too lazy to get the bike out.

Shall i just flush it, refit then carry on then (mabe going for a good drive aswell?)

Cheers,
ollie

CanadianR

is this similar to how you can have a wet spot on the ground at the end of the exhaust? I always have liquid dripping (clear) while I walk to the car in the morning after it has been warming up before driving away.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My guess is the main culprit will be condensation. My catch tank vents to atmosphere and has all sorts of gunge and water in it whilst the oil is fine.

When I came back from being away I had some oil in the boot that had been used to fill the car at the service and the closed and left in the back for 2 years as a top up. When I came to top the car up I realised the oil had gone milky and I was topping up with bad oil. I decided to drop the lot after that!

olliecast

cheers for the input guys.
I`ve took it off, cleaned it all out with the pipes and wil give it a nice warm run on sat if its nice weather,

thanks again,
ollie