glass or poly windows

dencon

Have removed inner door skin, and the heavy bit, the door beam.
removed glass which is quite thin. Weighed this at spot on 3kg.
Consulted plastic moulding firm on local estate who stated that 4mm poly has a weight of 4.8kg per sq m. As front window is about 1/2m, or 2.4kgs the saving is minute. Can anyone agree or disagree with accurate weighings. cheers den.

dencon

I find that difficult to believe. Is there anyone with an unfitted front pollicarbonate 4mm thick window that they can kindly accurately weigh. I can,t justify spending all that money if the saving is only going to be .6 of a kg per front window.cheers den.

dencon

Many thanks for offer to weigh polly. If you could weigh the four windows only please as I have my four out against wall. Boot glass is not out as am using Phils grp one.den.

bracpan

I think the rear window ill be the biggest saving as putting the normal glass back as I had to added weight bacj in again.
Good luck
Phil

dencon

I intend to use polly for your bootlid, but am doubtfull of any great savings on side windows until I get some accurate weights. The glass seams to be quite thin. cheers den.

vss irvine

i weighed my windows

these are 4mm bronze polycarb plastics 4 performance kit (no sliders)

DROP GLASS 2.05KG EACH

SIDE GLASS 1.1KG EACH

REAR HATCH (PRE FORMED) 2.5KG

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How Much lighter is the Glass from the RB Model?
I'm quoting savings over my RB model glass, which according to FAST weighed the same as any other glass. Possibly NME RB glass was lighter, but my RB had full weight glass.

Simon, mine isn't too bad for scratching. Although I tend to not use my windows too much.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't have thought the glass in the RB model was any different if it was sold as a road car; I can see that it might have been different in cars that were never road registered like the NME shells.