Getting 20degrees regardless of whether the tps is plugged in or not?

Matt

Hi all.
Just got my pulsar back on the road & it's been running really well however I've had multiple attempts at setting my ignition timing & basically my timing is stuck at 20 degrees advance regardless of what I do with the tps plug.
What am I missing?
Thanks

Last edited:

BMCC

You have got the car up to temp, turned the ignition off, pulled the tps plug and restarted the car before touching the distributor? what procedure are you using?

Can also be done with nissan datascan via laptop.

Matt

Yeah that's the method I've been using. what would you expect the ignition timing to be roughly on idle with the tps plugged in etc? Haven't got anything to Plug into it with at the min.
Also am I right in saying it's the last mark on the pulley (nearest the front of the car)

Thanks

BMCC

With the TPS plugged in you will never know what the base ignition is as the ECU will be altering the ignition point to maintain a stable idle.

As far as I can remember and I had a quick look in the workshop manual (but can't find the page) 20 deg is the last mark on the crankshaft pulley (The first mark from the firewall) make sure you clean the pulley so you can see all the marks. To advance the ignition you rotate the distributor towards the firewall.

I'd advise getting something like datascan as it makes working on these cars a bit easier.

Matt

I've spent some time on this now & although I'd still like to plug in to it to double check I'm confident the timing is correct now.
Thanks for your help