fitting alternator to rear of engine

williams

anyone fitted thier alternator to rear of engine? seen a few 200sx's with this done?

gunna have a try next week at doing it.

using electric PAS and water pump so got plenty room.

vss irvine

btcc engines had it down there, but chassis may get in the way.

use a small daihatsu 40 amp alternator may make it easier

williams

i'll have a look int that. hoping it will give me more room for turbo elbow and intercooler pipes.

williams

I have read on the sr20 forum that people have used all standard parts. only fwd sr20 I found info on was the nx. So not sure how much room there is for it on the rear of the block in the pulsar bay. Guna get over the garage next week to have a go at fitting it to the rear.

williams

i want to try get it on the rear, want all the wiring hidden aswell as im making a new loom for it. will see how i get on on monday with fitting it to the rear, engine isnt in the car though so wont know how much room i have for it.

Couldn't find a link buut I'm pretty sure the guys name is Andreas Miko, he's on SR20forum and SR20-forum. Really good guy to deal with, can be a bit slow responding to messages though.

WEEGAZ22

Whats the reason for relocation? bigger turbo getting in the way? putting more weight behind the front axle line?

williams

Getting rid of all the shit in the engine bay, using megasquirt ecu and rewiring the whole car so won't have all the fuse and relay boxes nissan have scatterd everywhere. Want it on the rear to tidy it up and make more room for downpipe and intercooler pipes. Using a shorter rad aso that I can have the intercooler inlets coming into the engine bay either side of the rad in the space at the front on the eng bay, moving it to the rear will give me a bit more room. And will save have IC pipes all over the place as it will be a lot simpler pipe run.

Jon Olds

When (if) I get around to dumping the turbo on mine and fitting a supercharger, then this is of big interest. I have a 2cv alternator on the shelf to be borrowed for dummy fits if its any help

williams

I'll just try with my pulsar alt, as engine is already out car and alternator is already off. What PAS pump will you use? I've got a 106 gti one to go on.

Jon Olds

I have a 106 half built competition car with power steering, and think the setup is a bit heavy. An all electric setup would be my preference. May be a big chop around under the dash though

Jon Olds

Sorry, weight. Flippin thing must be between 3 and 5kg. And awkward to mount. I have cut a hole thro the dash to mount it in the passenger footwell

williams

Are there any other cars that use a smaller PAS pump as standard? Only reason I'm usin 106 pump is I had it lying about.