Engine noise! Bloody thing

stee

Right turbo is fitted and all is good that side of things now, but when i last drove the car it had a slight noise coming from the engine on steady throttle, it sounded like pinkin so i assumed it was the burning of the oil causing it! But i have been out in it today after fitting another turbo and the noise is still there.
It seems to happen when the engine is warm, and from around 2500-3000rpm the rattling noise starts, it gets louder and faster all the way up the rev range, it sounds to me like timing chain or something, ive heard my fair share of big end knocks nd my noise is nothing like that. The noise is more of a rattling noise, not knocking or tapping, any1 got a clue?

pulsar_stu

Take the rocker cover off and see if there's anything noticeable in there.
Might be the timing chain hitting against the timing chain guide.
When diid you last change the oil? Might be worth dropping it out and seeing if there's any mettal in it with a magnet?

stee

i changed the oil in it yesterday, and i was thinking bout taking the rocker cover off because thats where it sounds like its coming from, if i have the car sitting at tick over and just blip the throttle a little bit you can hear the noise its making, metalic rattling sound but not rattling all the time, just when i blip the throttle and also on boost all the way up the rev range, no noise doesnt really happen when lightly accelerating. think im going to fix it and sell it and get some more pennies to but a good one with uprated internals

stee

yes it still has the tmic on but its not coming from there, ive already checked lol, ill take the rocker cover off next weekend to see if i can see anything suspicious

stee

Saying that my power steering pump is leaking and whilst it was sat on my drive it lost all fluid, do you think it could be the pump damaged with it being ran without fluid in?

danr

you could take belt off pump and water pump and run for a couple seconds, rev to see if noise has gone.
BUT remember youre disconnecting water pump - just my caveat emptor etc.!!
or put a long screwdriver on it, handle to ear and listen, bit tight down there though ..

from around 2500-3000rpm the rattling noise starts, it gets louder and faster all the way up the rev range, it sounds to me like timing chain or something, ive heard my fair share of big end knocks nd my noise is nothing like that. The noise is more of a rattling noise, not knocking or tapping, any1 got a clue?
Sorry to say this but this is exactgly the same symptoms mine had and I thought it wasn't the big end. I took engine apart and it was the big end.....

lakeview

id agree it does sound like mine did when i spun a bearing,the noise it made when mine went sounded nothing like the noise of other cars that the bearings have gone in.possibly due to timing chain rather the belts

rob

lakeview

mine was a sort of ticking noise bit like when you put lolly sticks in your bike spokes when you are a kid(if kids still do that nowdays anyway) totally different noise to the other cars ive had.

rob

lakeview

yes totally knackered my crank,mine was a norris design engine with a nice knife-edged crank.turned out it was going to be cheaper to buy a new rebuilt bottom end rather than to rebuild the one i had.would be worth dropping the sump to check if all is ok

rob

stee

Was hoping your wer goung to say that i was ok lol i'll take the sump off at the weekend and see what the damage is, i hope to god it isnt damaged, i havnt ran it very long after the noise started and its not that loud, but taking the big end caps off will be the true way of finding out

My crank was ok mate when my bearing had gone. I had just taken the white metal off the bearing and got down to the copper but it handn't spun at all. I got the crank journal checked and it was fine. After I rebuilt it all it's still going fine today and will hopefully stay that way.
Like lakeview said; mine didn't sound like a big end at all but it was. Just tell yourself it is the big end and crack on with it mate, prepare for the worst then any other outcome is a bonus.

stee

Lmao well hope mine isnt goosed but with my luck i'll probz come accross some naughty damage along the line somewhere, i love pulsars but the reliabiliy seems to be non existant lol