Discrete audio system setup (post pics of yours)

Perrin21

I have the following on my shortlist

Alpine CDA9887R CD Head Unit
Alpine KTX100EQ Imprint Software & Mic (Setup)
Alpine SPX17REF Components in the front

Considering AlpineSPX13REF Rear speakers in rear door cards.

However i am looking for a discrete rear speaker solution. Can anyone suggest or post pics of theirs. I dont want speakers on my parcel shelf (It looks tacky) Any other ideas welcome. Im also not looking for anything heavy like a big sub. Ive thought about a small one in the tool box but nothing in your face. Id love to see other people pics of their systems and how well they work in the pulsar. I understand hifi isnt top of everyones priority in the pulsar and i do have a noisy exhaust but its still nice to listen to a CD every now and then, or know i could if i wanted lol. Can speakers be installed in the back of the car, in the rear doorcards etc? The system should wind up being 85% invisible once installed. The only thing on show will be the Head unit.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The only think discrete about mine is that the front speakers are in the doors so you can't see them.

I'd suggest you want to do a stealth install on you rear speakers. - Hang them below the parcel shelf and cover the top with new speaker fabric so that they can't ben seen by looking through the window.

The stereo was important to my wife, so I spent a bit of time on it but I didn't worry about making it all hidden or installing amps etc. - It's just a Sony Gigapanel (i.e. with 1Gb of onboard memory for MP3s) with Pioneer speakers in the doors and parcel shelf. I've put quite a bit of Dynamat in to try to keep the exhaust noise out and the distortion down.
There's also a stacker for long journeys, but that's not usually left in the car.

Perrin21

The only think discrete about mine is that the front speakers are in the doors so you can't see them.

I'd suggest you want to do a stealth install on you rear speakers. - Hang them below the parcel shelf and cover the top with new speaker fabric so that they can't ben seen by looking through the window.

The stereo was important to my wife, so I spent a bit of time on it but I didn't worry about making it all hidden or installing amps etc. - It's just a Sony Gigapanel (i.e. with 1Gb of onboard memory for MP3s) with Pioneer speakers in the doors and parcel shelf. I've put quite a bit of Dynamat in to try to keep the exhaust noise out and the distortion down.
There's also a stacker for long journeys, but that's not usually left in the car.
Yeh i thought about building a stealth shelf, but its not stealth enough when the boot is open. I hate speakers in parcel shelves. Besides, the 3 piece parcel shelf rattles alot anyway. I have enough doubts about the sonic ability of a 20 year old nissan sunny anyway lol. Id like to install in the rear door cards if possible out of sight. Going for the OEM look.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't know if it's the original spot, but I've also got speakers installed over the rear shock mounts (effectively where the shelf rests); they're not wired-up because I've only got four channels and have the ones in the shelf already. Plus they're pretty small.

They do get in the way sitting in the rear shelf... that's got dynamat on it too, which seems to stop it rattling. ;-)

Perrin21

I don't know if it's the original spot, but I've also got speakers installed over the rear shock mounts (effectively where the shelf rests); they're not wired-up because I've only got four channels and have the ones in the shelf already. Plus they're pretty small.

They do get in the way sitting in the rear shelf... that's got dynamat on it too, which seems to stop it rattling. ;-)
Could you take a photo of the ones over the shock mounts for me.

geoff pine

I would think its the oe placement as mine are still there and work !!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Wow, even the head unit is hidden; that beats just hiding the speakers. Anyone would think this was a hillclimb car that didn't need a stereo! ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What size are they? I don't know if this helps you gauge the size of the space in the door:

Obviously that fits behind the standard door card without any issues.

Perrin21

What size are they? I don't know if this helps you gauge the size of the space in the door:

Obviously that fits behind the standard door card without any issues.
They are 6.5 inch. im guessing its the depth that could be an issue. The Alpine site says Woofer Mounting Depth (mm): 65mm

Last edited:

iomegalinux

i installed CDT 6.5 in front,
http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/cl_series/cl_61cv.htm
i'm pretty sure it's that model. it's not a perfect fit, but it work.
but they really need to be driven by and amplifier, so i put a rockford fosgate amp, in the rear left panel. no one can even think it's there.
if you want i can try to take picture.
but in the back i was too lazy, i went the easy way on the shelf. 6x9
next l'll go for a 8inch sub when i'll find a good deal with the enclosure.
someting like a bazooka
http://www.bazooka.com/products/mob...-BT-Series-8-inch-100-watt-Amplified-Tube-P38
but i would love something more discrete

Perrin21

i installed CDT 6.5 in front,
http://www.cdtaudio.com/series/cl_series/cl_61cv.htm
i'm pretty sure it's that model. it's not a perfect fit, but it work.
but they really need to be driven by and amplifier, so i put a rockford fosgate amp, in the rear left panel. no one can even think it's there.
if you want i can try to take picture.
but in the back i was too lazy, i went the easy way on the shelf. 6x9
next l'll go for a 8inch sub when i'll find a good deal with the enclosure.
someting like a bazooka
http://www.bazooka.com/products/mob...-BT-Series-8-inch-100-watt-Amplified-Tube-P38
but i would love something more discrete
Which part isnt a perfect fit?

iomegalinux

the hole was too small, i had to enlarge it, also screw hole was not align, so i had to drill new hole, maybe a 6" would have fit better.
of maybe mine are bigger than normal, i don't know.

Garef

I don't know if this will be of any help, but it's just my opinion and this forum is full of them.

I was in the same situation when putting an audio system in my R. I was told to forget about rear speakers and just put the money towards better components and run them off of an amp. That's exactly what i did and it was for sure a good idea. I was told that you want the sound coming from in front of you and not from the rear, which is why when we go to concerts we stand facing the music and not with our backs to the stage. Also you have to take into account how often you are going to have passengers and even if you do, who cares about them, it's your car and your in the front. I have never put 6x9's or any rear speakers in my car, or any other friends cars since and nobody has complained or noticed a difference, and like I said, it sounds better because there is no sound coming from the rear to compete with the front speakers.

I've added this pic to show how I installed my components 5, 1/4 inch, they were a tad small for the holes and had to make surrounds as you can see. I also added the tweeters to the plastic pieces behind the wing mirrors. This was about as standard as I could get it to look. I know it looks like you can see the woofer part at the bottom really easily, but I'm sure I had the flash on, because they really aren't as clear to see as it may seem. I'm sure I also sprayed the surrounds black to make it less obvious.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r48/marethgunro/GTI-R/IMG_7053.jpg

Last piece of info, I tried forever to think of a way to add a small sub to the boot and make it look clean, but I couldn't because of the blasted floor of the boot being not flat, I eventually lost patience and threw in a box and a sub, which to this day still looks like sh*t but it does the job.

Sorry for babbling but hope this helps.

Perrin21

My problem so far is trying to find a location for the crossovers in the door. How do I remove the back of the mirror to drill the hole for the tweeter

Perrin21

ok decided to put the crossovers on the inside of the door on the outer skin. I've wrapped them in their bags but half way through the install it started raining, I was surprised just how much rain was running inside the door, is this normal or have my door seals gone?. I've wrapped the bass driver in the plastic speaker surround that was inside my door, however I'm concerned this will ruin the sound. What's your opinion? Of course I'd get no sound if it was soaked, just seems a bit extreme.