Cylinder head cooling, thermostats and expansion tanks: Discussion...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I butchered one of phil's bonnets and stuck a small gt4 vent in it. (about the only I could find to fit between the ridges on the bonnet) I've put it abover the turbo area on the theory that some of the air coming in the from hits the turbo/engine and tries going up, so it now has an escape route. Also at idle you can see the heat haze coming out of the vent.

red reading

I would'nt bother with waterless coolent,there are ways suggested that will give more benefit,your issue is air movement...like the ducting and fan ideas

pulsarmoley

Has anybody ever seen/made a radiator/IC setup that is side by side so the I/C is not blocking the airflow to the rad? Or would this idea not be worth it?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm tempted to say it wouldn't be worth doing unless you had a much thicker core as you'd be halving the frontal area of them going that way. Plus then you need to make up new pipe work for both of them.

pulsarmoley

Yeah thicker cores but maybe not that much thicker as airflow would be improved? It may also allow more area to fit a front mount oil cooler?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My lorry has it for the auxiliary engine. They're sideways on to the airflow with a big fan blowing over them all the time.

pulsarmoley

If more surface area is required for a side by side setup could both radiator and I/C be mounted at an angle like formula one cars? Would the oil cooler affect the brake cooling or are the brake ducts not that efficient?

Last edited:

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
That would depend where and on the aiflow to them, There is a practical limit to the speed the air can flow through the core and there for positioning can be moved away from the front of the car.

The best point maybe to move the radiator to the rear of the car as you will benefit from that by increaseing the amount of coolent in the system and you could also duct the air to and from the unit via the side and rear window.....rules permitting .

Jon Olds

My mk1 golf grass racer is prime for a rear rad. Nice big cold airbox in its place....Got the rear air scoops made already as step 1.
The Pulsar rally car? Packaging nightmare.
Saw a few scandivanian rallyx cars with a rad horizontal in the boot floor. Liked the idea.
Flat front rallycrossers is sensible, with all that crap flying around and cars nose to tail
Disadvantages of rear radiators (as I see it) . Weight. water is heavy. Hot water through car (scrutineers..) Getting it bled.
Must get it done/completed......

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What about the reverse vent like Geoff has? Without a top-mount there's no need to scoop air in and down over the top and back of the engine; with a reverse vent it's more like a venturi pulling air up from the front of the engine (and logically through the radiator and intercooler cores).

Combine that with the fan suggestion maybe?

keastygtir

How about sealing the front under the car with an under tray with ducts pushing air up to the rad/cooler?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
From what I've read somewhere ages ago, you can end up messing under bonnet air flow and raising under bonnet temps if you block off the wrong areas.

Jon Olds

Run a full width sumpguard so no air is getting in the bottom. Like the idea of a reverse vent. Oil cooler is sitting at 30 degrees up there now. Will try this. Some ducting into the IC is probably essential in spite of wht I said earlier about damage. If I make if in softish plastic it should be crashable.

Jon Olds

Good suggestion. I have some industrial 5" stuff, soft in front crushable. I could make some short sections and bundle it, facing forward. It would look bizarre, but who cares.