Connecting AEM UEGO to Nistune

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Having some bloody issues trying to get my wideband to connect to to my ECU :hide:

Has anyone connected, themselves, their AEM wideband to their Nistune unit?

Currently the AEM site says I should use a 9 pin RS-323 plug (see below), but my laptop doesn't have that, only a 15 pin unit.

I have a 15 pin D-connector (see below), however can I use the 15 pin unit if I have the correct info on how to wire up my AEM correctly?

On the ECU itself, it doesn't give me the option to connect via a RS-323 port only via USB, which seem to be a DLP-IO8-G connection (see below) that people are using.

All very confusing to start off with, but the more I look at it, I get the feeling that I'm going to have to get hold of a DLP-IO8-G connector and if so has anyone got any wiring details on how to wire my wideband in to the DLP-IO8-G?

Cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Andy, are you sure that 15-pin port you're looking at isn't for a video card? - If so it's never going to work.

I think if you've got a USB connector, use that; you may need to emulate a COM port in software for the AEM kit to work if that's the only port it recognised.

Is that DLP-IO8-G connector just a way of converting "Consult" to USB? - If so, can you just use a USB Consult cable?

Fusion Ed

If your laptop has 15pin that's VGA out, you wont be using that! The DLP-IO8-G is just an 8ch analogue to digital converter. When you plug it in, it will show up as a com port (after installing drivers). You just need to launch nistune and tell nistune via the configuration page what com port the DLP is connected to. Nistune then takes CH1 on the DLP and uses this as the wideband input. You will need to connect ground and the 0-5v out of the wideband into the DLP to get a reliable signal.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Jim and I are gonna knock our heads together on Sunday and see what's going on...

Tbh I've been so concentrated on getting the car running that's I've not really been thinking about this properly and the 15 pin unit is more towards video than signals from a AFR to a ECU...

Tomorrow is going to be a massive learning curve and I'm going to need my mapping head on to understand what's going on.

Hopefully this should be a simply fix and I should stop looking at other forums that give me misleading information...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
For info, took a look at Andy's car today, 1 step back followed by 2 forward. It's idling now but without an AFR reading to the Nistune we quit whilst we were ahead.

Andy, as you know and others have said the VGA port will never work as a serial port. As we discussed the 0-5v AFR signal would need an A2DC to interpret it.

I did a quick search now and just found the AEM AFR gauge has a serial connector output on the blue wire. This is designed to communicate with the AEM ECU. If the Nistune can read this value it's a neat solution.

Type this into google:

AEM UEGO to serial nistune

There is lots of information. Here's a video to explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=29iB2XY-ep4

Here is the info from the AEM website:

http://forum.nistune.com/download/file.php?id=207

IIRC, you have already purchased a 9pin connector so you will need a serial to USB converter.

Something like this is cheap :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-T...ting_Parallel_Serial_PS_2&hash=item35afe482d1

The A2DC is an alternative solution that is proven and may not be expensive either (Thanks Ed).

Some people seem to have issues with the serial comms route but serial comms has never been perfect.

Last edited:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
The A2DC is an alternative solution that is proven and may not be expensive either (Thanks Ed).

Some people seem to have issues with the serial comms route but serial comms has never been perfect.
That's spot on, I'll arrange that for this week, cheers!

Fusion Ed

FWIW. I no longer bother with wideband going into nistune. I did for a bit, more so when I did lots of road mapping but not any more.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Nowadays do you just use an external AFR on a rolling road to check the actual performance against the logged AFR at that time?