Coilovers

O

Odin

So far all I can say is that the 7kg springs on the front seem to be fine to me :wink: , But I have got the shock set on the softest setting.

I agree the 6kg springs on the rear seem far to hard to me, So I'll get a new set of five's for the rear and move the six's to the front :wink: As theyb can be changed around 8) .

I will also mail K-sport and see what rang of springs the shocks can work with :wink: ,You never know maybe they can work with 4kg springs on the rear.

rob

bracpan

Yes 6 on the front and 5 to 4 on the back would be mutch better.
As you say make sure that the shocks can deal with that rate.
Good Luck
Phil

Leeann

Hey thanks for your help guys.

I just dont no what to go for, as I dont want it to be to hard.

I also have some whiteline stuff fitted like the anti roll bar n bushes if that makes a difference to what suspension would be better :?:

Cheers Leeann

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
bracpan said:
As Jgti-r says his Whiteline are hard....and I know that the Whiteline spring rates are no was near the 5Kg to 7 Kg.
My personal opinion are that 7 - 5kg spring rate is WAY to high for a normal road car :cry: .(would be ok on a smooth race track)
One of the best handling cars on the road are Lotus and they never ever fit hard springs, they sort the suspension out in other ways, like roll bars, camber, shocks, anti swat and dive etc.
Just fitting hard springs is not the answer to getting your car to Handle.
Its a mind boggling science, read books by Alan Staniforth this will explain it in full detail....does your brain in to. :roll:
I know this all sounds bad news but like everything else it takes time to get right, been working on mine for all of this season to get it right.
I have beating cars like 911 RS's BMW M3.s, Evo's, Scooby's and numorus TVR's this year on the track and still only have a normal untuned engine. So I think i am getting there now. :lol:
If mine was just a road car i would use the Teins with the normal springs they supply, they are pleny hard enough, or even Koni inserts and Whiteline springs. Then fit all the handling kit, poly bushes etc. This would be a great road package. Also a resonably ride to.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Phil
PS I am an old bu gger been racing for over 20 years so have made plenty of mistakes myself in that time. Its all a bit of trial and error.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Everything he says to the letter. It saved me getting on my soap box as usual. :lol: :lol: 8)
Most springs out there are too stiff for road cars unless you are blessed with race track like smooth roads that never see rain.
Phil, do you think beating all these posh cars has got something to do with driver ability and 20 years of experience :wink: :lol:

I believe Lotus use(d) soft springs with relativley stiff rebound on the dampers to provide roll and suppleness but with good control.

Can you PM or post your Ride height and damper settings for wet and dry running? What camber and toe are you using too? I've been doing a lot of work recently on fiddling with ride heights to give the best compromise between roads and weather. I'm running around 330mm front and 335mm rear at the mo. Damper settings are around 10 front and rear but the dampers are getting very worn so this is much higher than when they were first fitted. (Nearer 5 then) I'm still playing with dampers so this is far from my final setup.

Cheers,
Jim

Cris

I have a strong memory of reading that Lotus don't like LSDs either certainly I can;t think of any Lotuses (Lotii???) with LSDs. Perhaps one of the Elise/Exige variants had them.

Otherwise I agree with the comments about too hard suspension. Anything can be made to handle well on a smooth track by stiffeneing the suspension. Look at go karts!