Clutch release bearing

Hardy172cup

I'm going to be doing an engine swap in my GTI-R soon and I I thought I would change the clutch release bearing when the engine is out because the clutch is a bit noisy when you release the clutch pedal.

Where is the best place to get one from? I have found this one on eBay but it's from oz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-3050...Bearing-SR20DET-GTiR-Pulsar-N14-/150951745678

Does anyone know if Nissan still stock the release bearing for our cars? And does anyone have the part number for the release bearing?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Yes nissan stock it, and they are about £35.
It is a gtir specific bearing to the sunny/pulsar,

a release bearing will only be noisey when you push the pedal down .

Hardy172cup

Ahhh... Maybe it's not the release bearing then, I thought I would just try swapping it wile the engine was out but maybe the noise is more of an internal gearbox issue?

The noise goes away when you press the pedal but comes back when you release the pedal, it's kind of a hard noise to describe its like the sound of something turning under friction? My mums old GTI-R made the same noise and I used to have a Honda trx450R quad that made a similar noise when you released the clutch leaver

I know the car has been fitted with an uprated clutch of some sort but no idea what make it is because it was in the car when I bought it.
the car drives fine so I will probably just leave it as it is and if the gearbox decides to die on me I'll just swap it for another one.

red reading

That will be the gearbox input shaft bearings making the noise with your foot off the clutch but not moving, be warned if you leave them they will fail and will ruin the gearbox and possible the clutch as well.

Hardy172cup

Thanks for the advice, the guy I'm getting the engine from has a gearbox for sale too, I might see if he will do some kind of deal on the engine and box. It's money I did t realy want to have to spend but seeing as I'm having the engine out I may aswell swap the box at the same time. It will be easier that way and at least then I won't have to worry about the box letting go