clutch master cylinder gone!

guider

im gutted only had the car 2 weeks and its just gone on me. i was 5 mins from my house, about to take my r to racing line in halifax for it to be checked out on the rollers. the clutch has hit the floor then this terrible whine when it crawls along. the pedal is covered in oil! should i order all my parts from nissan also were can i get a braided clutch hose. any body fancy doing the job for me.? based in the north west, lancs area. i will pay you obviously.
i hope someone can help thanks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't order the parts from Nissan - it's cheaper to just buy OEM ones from someone else (like Blueprint) as there's no real difference.
eBay can put you onto some cheap clutch hoses, or you can try 'Hose Solutions' - they're a forum sponsor!

Never changed the master cylinder, but if you've got someone who knows what they're doing I might be able to lend a hand. I think the big problem is getting access to it, but it's a pretty simple device; a hydrualic cylinder and piston with an adjuster on the end of it.
People say it's a pain to bleed aftewards, but I never had any problems with the slave cylinder; I just opened the valve and let gravity to the work.

pulsar craig

save some money and do it yourself it a fairly easy job, just the access to it thats the problem, abit of patience and a pack of plasters at the ready and you`ll be well away

guider

i hope tour right craig.went to the local garage today and asked how much to do the job. he said 4 hour labour @ £45

Last edited:

pulsar craig

i did this exact job a couple of months back, and its very diy-able, think you`ll need a 6mm allen key to remove the bolts on the plenium cover, once thats off its not to bad just the usual tools sockets, spanners ect, theres a how to on here somewhere, have a look

guider

thanks mate. i have read the how to guide and thers a few bits that putting me off but hey i we will see:der:

guider

got my parts now so im gonna have a crack at weekend. i started the r up today and ther was a loud whineing noise on tick over. this noise i noticed a couple of days before the cylinder went. the noise went after about 10secs on start up. when the cylinder went the noise was right back for good. im hoping this noise will vanish once the new master cylinder has been fitted. can anyone shed some light on this?

Tim

Clutch hydraulics is a closed system so i doubt it's making noises at start up ... could be a dry belt or alternator?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You've probably got clutch fluid on the power steering belt.
If the cylinder has been spraying fluid out (because the seals are gone), then it's quite possible it's coated the belt with oil. - I'd just give it a wipe and maybe tighten it a touch.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Get a propper brake spanner to undo the hydraulic line. (10 or 11mm I think) Mine was going nowhere with a normal spanner.

Tim

Definatley a worthwhile investment .. i managed to round one of the brake nipples off using a spanner.

10mm is what you need :)

guider

my braided clutch hose came today.im thinking of fitting it when i change the master if i can cram it all in to 1 day! ha ha ha, is this job simpler than the master change?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's quite easy - it just goes on the end of the steel line at the right side of the engine bay... across the top of the gearbox (attached to the bracket)... then onto the slave cylinder with a banjo bolt.
Bleed it out by letting gravity take the fluid through the system.

I say that, but those fittings might be pretty tight after almost 20 years.

guider

i changed the master cylinder today with my m8. it took 3 hours without dropping the engine thank god. only thing is when i came to bleed it through ,the slave cylinder started pissing out oil! fook sake! thanks to all those people who give me advice.

guider

tell me about it! hope its sorted once i fit that! my m8 is concerned about the location of the clutch fork when he took the slave off. he said it seems too deppressed in the box. not quite sure if hes right though