clutch help needed

Dave_R

hi guys hoping you can help me out. Bought my first R about 4 weeks ago now and has been an absolute pleasure to drive :) untill yesterday :cry: was driving fine for about half an hour then i came to a stop at some traffic lights and noticed that it wouldnt engage first easily and crunched when it went it, managed to get it to my works car park staying out of first gear as much as poosible. Went to work and finished a few hours later got in the car pressed the clutch and there was a real horrible wine so took my foot of the clutch and left it a minute and tried again only this time the clutch pedal took all my strength to push it to the floor and wouldnt go in any gear at all? me and a mate have had a brief look and nothing seems to be leaking but the fork seems a little loose? not sure if this makes a difference but have just fitted a new downpipe and the dreaded studs wouldnt come out so had to drill them out and use some brute force so im wondering if that may have caused something to break or come loose? going to try drop the gear box next week but wondered if anyone had any ideas of what it could be? any help would be much appreciated

antopulsar

if you do a search on here mate there is loads of info about this could be one of millions of things lol

(use keywords and select problem solving narrows the results down)

Tim

I'd doubt it will be the hydraulics, sounds more mechanical to me..

But as your taking the box off anyway, i'd just wait and see rather than taking guesses :)

P

pulsarboby

sounds to me as though the drive plate itself has started to break up (hence the racket), or could possibly be the pressure plate!
you wont know for sure till youve dropped it and inspected

Dave_R

well me and a few mates were thinking about taking the box of and looking but we havent done it before, we have a how to guide but was wondering how much of a pain it will be on a driveway with no ramps? we have a 3 tonne engine hoist and a few other bits. What kind of problems would i encounter? Have been quoted £500 by a local garage to fix it but they are saying the whole engine will have to be dropped? hence the £500 quote. At the moment i really cant afford to spare the money :cry:

GTiR-Aholic

What area you in mate? I've done it about 6 times now on my four R's and I must admit it's a pain in the arse but can be done with the engine in situe.. saying that I've got a ramp and although people have done it without, I'd never like to attempt it on a driveway.. but if you do.. then make sure you follow the guide on taking the box off WITHOUT having to remove the transfer.. because with the box and transfer bolted together... it's fuckin heavy!!!

I had a similar problem where the flywheel bolts snapped off the crank, but then if it was that it wouldn't start so I agree with what bobs said.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
This sounds familiar...
I'd guess, as Bob suggested; the friction material has come off the drive plate and the whole thing is jammed. In my case a piece was actually wedged under the release fingers on the pressure plate so I couldn't get the clutch to release.
No matter what it turns-out to be, I think you need to drop the box and pull it off the engine. - Could be as cheap and simple as the release bearing has let go... but my money is on the drive plate (mine came out in about four pieces).

Dave_R

cheers for all the help guys, hoping to get started on it in the next few weeks as im missing not having my R on the road :(

Engine out chap, so much easier, once its out on the floor you can see everything then. Fitting a new downpipe will have sod all to do with it, but im sure once you get the box off all will become clear. One thing i learnt though, if you haven't got the right tool, don't try and improvise, just go and buy the correct one, i had a nightmare with some bolts and ended up having to cut them off and replace them because i tried to cut corners. I still have various tools and that left from when i did mine so wouldn't mind helping if u wanted. Me you and smo are all on the island so not far from each-other lol.

Last edited: