Clutch experiences with 3071@1.6 bar

Trondelond

Ok, another clutch thread. I've done a fair bit of searching, and it seems that the only two options I can find are the RPS streetmax and OS Giken.

I'm planning on running my 3071 at 1.6 bar, and at the moment I've got an ACT 6-puck job with a heavy duty pressure plate.
This setup has now broken my clutch pedal bracket twice(!), so I'm really not looking for something that gives me as hard a pedal feel as the ACT. The bad press of the RPS is somewhat offputting, and the OS Giken isn't excactly cheap.
I would probably use the OS Giken with their release bearing, to make the pedal lighter, but I think there was some issue with the hardness of the metal used for the bearing..?

So - have anyone got any fresh new experiences with clutches? I suppose the Helix one won't cope with the torque (how much torque will 1.6 bar produce anyway?). If I can't find any sensible options, perhaps I'll look into fitting a smaller clutch cylinder instead.

And if anyone have a pristine 3071 and/or OS Giken for sale, lemme know! :D

MarkTurbo

My Ap racing paddle clutch is holding 1.7 bar despite only being officially rated at 284 ft/lbs, I've got a feeling that rating is a bit on the conservative side though as I know other people that have run that sort of boost on the same clutch.

When I fitted the turbo I was expecting to have to swap clutches for something a bit more heavy duty but its never slipped once. I removed it a few days ago as my box is off at the moment to measure the thickness and its only lost 0.4mm so is still way above the minimum thickness and its had 50-60 6000rpm launches.

Trondelond

Do you know what clamping force the pressure plate has? I suppose even an organic clutch could hold 700lb-ft, if the pressure plate was strong enough. :) You'd probably have to use both feet to operate it, though..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The RPS max street (organic) has broken my clutch fork twice now and it's pretty stiff, so it sounds like you might want to avoid that one.

Trondelond

Unfortunately ACT seems to list the percentagewise increase in clamping force, which doesn't really help unless someone has the OE clamping force handy.

So the RPS is the same as ACT it seems. The ACT is a fine clutch so far, I'm just sick of getting the bracket welded together. No fun when it snaps in the middle of rush traffic either.

But I've just paid for an OS Giken now, so it'll be fun to see how it works. :)

By all means - keep the experiences coming still.

MarkTurbo

Just to save any confusion that isn't the right cover plate, just noticed its only got 6 mounting bolt holes not 9. The correct one is CP4150-9 but I can't find any information on that one.

I was thinking of trying 2 bar once I put my box back in but think I'm already pushing it a bit on a standard gearset!

johnsy

iv had the os giken s/single and a 6puk RPS strretmax,

found them both to be very good clutches although one of th springs in the os giken snapped causing major vibration and eventually the cover plate fell off! the giken had a vry light pedal feel compared to rps.

I also destroyed a reinforced clutch fork with the RPS,the fork lasted about 5000 mile, cant fault the clutch though its never slipped and the puk is nigh on bomb proof,very little ware

if you have the dosh osgiken, you can also get rebuild kits for them so there servicable.

Trondelond

the giken had a vry light pedal feel compared to rps.
That´s pretty much all I care about now, that´s why I bought the OS Giken off Billy187 today. :) And they are serviceable, I suppose. Service parts cost as much as other brands´ complete clutches, so I guess it sort of works. :D

skiddusmarkus

GT3071 on 1.45 bar(394bhp/350lbft) with a Helix organic and heavy duty cover.Its been fine so far but won't be launching it until next spring when I start going to York raceway.

williams

iv had the os giken s/single and a 6puk RPS strretmax,

found them both to be very good clutches although one of th springs in the os giken snapped causing major vibration and eventually the cover plate fell off! the giken had a vry light pedal feel compared to rps.

I also destroyed a reinforced clutch fork with the RPS,the fork lasted about 5000 mile, cant fault the clutch though its never slipped and the puk is nigh on bomb proof,very little ware

if you have the dosh osgiken, you can also get rebuild kits for them so there servicable.
johnny was saying to me your fork had been reinforced in the wrong place though?

red reading

the ones i do have a plate over the front of the pivot and a spine up the back, That's where they break and you can't get any meat added anywhere else of benefit without it hitting things like the clutch cover plate.

Trondelond

GT3071 on 1.45 bar(394bhp/350lbft) with a Helix organic and heavy duty cover.Its been fine so far but won't be launching it until next spring when I start going to York raceway.
I guess that's the main issue we have here : "It's been fine so far". :) As I really didn't want to slap a clutch in, and _hope_ all would be well. Just wonder what the Giken will be like driving around town.