carbotech XP8 's ebc Yellowstuff

ChrisS

Im about to order some new pads, anyone have direct experience using both of these pads at all?? The Carbotechs were my origional choice but are working out at close to £240 for a set for my caliper which I havent really got at the mo. Yellowstuffs ive read through a fair few reviews, mostly quite positive but with the odd bad experience cropping up now and again. I believe that the compound was changed within the last year or so and is supposed to be much better than it was. Cost wise is probably half of the carbotech's.

Car is mainly street driven and drags, though planning on a couple of track days next year. 380bhpish with tarox 6pots.

Trondelond

I haven't got the broadest experience, but I've had yellowstuff on my R. And they were decent for day to day driving. But everything is. For track use, they were OK I guess, but they soon started chipping, and bits of the pad just fell off. I'll never get another set at least.
Using DS2500 on my Honda at the moment, and these are a vast improvement. Will probably use these for my rears next year, along with the DS2500 that came with my AP front brakes.

Nasher

I use the xp8s all round. I have APs on the front and standard brake setup on the back. I have done 7 or 8 trackdays this year and I can't fault them at all. Im not easy on the brakes, and they take it all day long on track. I highly recommend using motul RBF600 brake fluid aswell

Trondelond

I use the xp8s all round. I have APs on the front and standard brake setup on the back. I have done 7 or 8 trackdays this year and I can't fault them at all. Im not easy on the brakes, and they take it all day long on track. I highly recommend using motul RBF600 brake fluid aswell
Completely OT, but what front calipers are you using, and disc size? Are you using a valve to balance the brake power,? And how do you like the setup? I haven't tried mine yet, so I'm curious. :)

ChrisS

Ive got some motul RBF600 on order at the mo. How much do the XP8 cost for the AP caliper?

ChrisS

I haven't got the broadest experience, but I've had yellowstuff on my R. And they were decent for day to day driving. But everything is. For track use, they were OK I guess, but they soon started chipping, and bits of the pad just fell off. I'll never get another set at least.
Using DS2500 on my Honda at the moment, and these are a vast improvement. Will probably use these for my rears next year, along with the DS2500 that came with my AP front brakes.
How long since you used the yellowstuff? From what i can see they changed the pad compound middle of last year time.

Nasher

I use the 4 pot CP5100 caliper, with 295x25 discs. I do not have a valve to balance the brake power. That has not been an issue. The setup is great, as I said I can brake hard all day long on track with no probelms. The feel is nice and boy does it stop. I run with Kumho v70A's which help alot. ENJOY!

Trondelond

I use the 4 pot CP5100 caliper, with 295x25 discs. I do not have a valve to balance the brake power. That has not been an issue. The setup is great, as I said I can brake hard all day long on track with no probelms. The feel is nice and boy does it stop. I run with Kumho v70A's which help alot. ENJOY!
That's the same setup as I'll be running, can't wait now! :D Does the ABS still work? I'm choosing not to use the AP brakes during winter, in case ABS ceases to function. That's one thing I'd like to have on icy conditions. :)

How long since you used the yellowstuff? From what i can see they changed the pad compound middle of last year time.
It's about two and a half years since I used them, so they may have changed it then. :)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Carbotech's are the better pad all round. Yellowstuff have got better over the years but you really do pay for what you get.

Yellowstuff are more of your budget/entry level pad compared to others. Your major issue is the pad compound not being able to cope with extreme temps and driving.

To keep it short and sweet, if you want ultimate pads then Carbo's are the way forwards; if you want best of both worlds then DS2500's or Mintex pads would be a good choice and if money is a major issue then Yellowstuff would be the obvious choice.

They are less aggressive on yours discs than other brands, but if you are heavy on the brakes you might find than the softer compound with Yellowstuff's will wear down much quicker than you anticipated.

Quite honestly the best thing you need to do is have a set of pads for the road and a set of pads for the track.

Last edited:

ChrisS

£69.99 V £240 !!! Will prob go with the yellows for now and get a set of the carbo's next year if/when i get on track.

Nasher

That's the same setup as I'll be running, can't wait now! :D Does the ABS still work? I'm choosing not to use the AP brakes during winter, in case ABS ceases to function. That's one thing I'd like to have on icy conditions. :)

I dont run with ABS so cant comment. Im sure I would in Norway though!

MarkTurbo

Does the ABS still work? I'm choosing not to use the AP brakes during winter, in case ABS ceases to function. That's one thing I'd like to have on icy conditions. :)
I've got AP's on my car and the abs still works ok ;-)

The only time i remove the fuse to get rid of it is on dry trackdays, with all the wet weather in this country at the moment and using R888's its definatly needed on the road!

Trondelond

I've got AP's on my car and the abs still works ok ;-)

The only time i remove the fuse to get rid of it is on dry trackdays, with all the wet weather in this country at the moment and using R888's its definatly needed on the road!
I just realised that it won't help as I've only got one set of wheels that will fit over the brakes, and they've got fresh toyos on. :| So I'll just have to wait. I'll have to start fiddling with my 3071 instead to keep myself busy. :)