Carbon canister

youngsyp

steve963 said:
is there something to stop petrol coming out of the breather at the tank end, if I remove all the pipe?
Nope, just as there isn't, if you don't remove the pipe !

I've not had any issue with mine in the time that I've had it. Plus, the only time fuel would be near the breather outlet of the tank, would be if you've too much fuel in the tank. Again, this can't happen as, it would come back up the filler neck !

steve963

nice one, ill check it out tonight and tidy it all up

the amount of unnecessary stuff on these engines

want my engine bay like that guys RS2000, !! (in my dreams)

steve963

Here is what i did with the 2 pipes, think this will be ok

one connects to the T on the other which goes into the chassis rail

youngsyp

It will be ok, as long as that is a 1 way valve it connects to.

Why not just bin the surplus pipes ? You don't need then and it will mean a more tidy engine bay !

The only ones you will retain (unless you can get to behind the plenum and remove them altogether ?!)are a 1 large and 1 small vac pipe that come from the plenum area. You can either connect these together or, better still, block them both off !

steve963

if its not a 1 way valve, i guess ill get a pressurised tank!

Can get to behind the plenum as engines out, might use the vac pipes for something else, are all the pipes coming from the air box the same vacume strength etc?

youngsyp

steve963 said:
if its not a 1 way valve, i guess ill get a pressurised tank!

Can get to behind the plenum as engines out, might use the vac pipes for something else, are all the pipes coming from the air box the same vacume strength etc?
I'd let the tank 'breath' at the tank end. That's what I did with mine !

As for the 'air box', not sure what you mean ?! Do you mean the vac distribution block on the back of the engine ?
If so, all vacuum pipes should show the same vacuum !

steve963

yeah I mean the thing with the 3 vac pipes on it as there all different sizes, (and there is a metal vac pipe for steering or brakes)

I`ll get to work on removing those pipes then!

antgtir

Just devils advocate, if you dont need the canister or its not necessary to have one, why would Nissan install one at an extra cost to themselves?

Just think that there must be some reason for it being there and not as described by you guys, what do you think?

Ant.

youngsyp

antgtir said:
Just devils advocate, if you dont need the canister or its not necessary to have one, why would Nissan install one at an extra cost to themselves?

Ant.
Because they needed it in Japan to meet part of their emissions laws ! ;-)

As the car's in the UK, it's no longer required !

antgtir

Maybe ive got the wrong end of the stick, but why if its only acting as a filter for the ventilation of the fuel tank would it effect the emissions?

Is it because it cleans the pressurised air inside the head of the car? therefore generally cleaning the working air within the engine? i think im clicking now lol :lol:

So in theory by removing this canister because of the nature of our emissions laws it removes any unwanted additional pressure in the head?

Ant.

Keira

the carbon canister is there to collect fuel vapour from the tank to reduce hydrocarbons that would otherwise be absorbed into the atmosphere. The vapour is stored in the canister and through a small orifice is constantly drawn into the inlet when the engine is running, as revs increase another valve opens and more vapour is drawn into the engine.

Last edited:

youngsyp

antgtir said:
Maybe ive got the wrong end of the stick, but why if its only acting as a filter for the ventilation of the fuel tank would it effect the emissions?

Is it because it cleans the pressurised air inside the head of the car? therefore generally cleaning the working air within the engine? i think im clicking now lol :lol:

So in theory by removing this canister because of the nature of our emissions laws it removes any unwanted additional pressure in the head?

Ant.
I didn't get into the specifics of why the Japanese laws required the carbon cannister, as I didn't want to know. I just know that's why it's there.

And as far as I'm aware, the removal of the canister is just to clean up the engine bay, in cosmetic terms, nothing else.
It might help idle if the one way valve in the inner wing isn't working properly though, I guess.

My philosophy is if it's not needed, bin it. That's why I also removed the old crankcase and PCV breather system, amongst other things !

youngsyp

diesel weasel said:
the carbon canister is there to collect fuel vapour from the tank to reduce hydrocarbons that would otherwise be absorbed into the atmosphere. The vapour is stored in the canister and through a small constantly orifice is constantly drawn into the inlet when the engine is running, as revs increase another valve opens and more vapour is drawn into the engine.
Thank you Mr Weasel ! ;-)

antgtir

So if the carbon canister is knackered i.e. old and decrepped lol or the valve on the inlet side is stuck, would this potentially effect your final emissions i.e. hydrocarbon count?

Ant.

P.s. thanks for the help :lol:

J

jpward

One think to also note from Carbon canisters is that these also act a bit like the canister on a respirator.

Over time these will fail to work effectively and any hard knocks or indeed water ingress will cause them to be non effective as the carbon hardens into a lump and won't absorb the vapour as intended.

That leads me to believe after 10+ years these are not doing much anymore and once you have safely dealt with the tank vapour hose then it's for the bin!

Keira

antgtir said:
So if the carbon canister is knackered i.e. old and decrepped lol or the valve on the inlet side is stuck, would this potentially effect your final emissions i.e. hydrocarbon count?

Ant.

P.s. thanks for the help :lol:
yes

Animaldaz

so nearly everytime i fill up my fuel tank, when i take the cap off there is a large vacuum in the tank, more hissing then iv experienced with other cars, so does that mean my tanks not breathing? ie blockage somewere or cannister not working right? I guess i should bin the cannister to see if it cures the problem. Do people still get a vacuum in the tank when the cannister is removed? a small vacuum is to be expected but this seems alot and it may be affecting the fuel delivery.

youngsyp

Animaldaz said:
so nearly everytime i fill up my fuel tank, when i take the cap off there is a large vacuum in the tank, more hissing then iv experienced with other cars, so does that mean my tanks not breathing? ie blockage somewere or cannister not working right? I guess i should bin the cannister to see if it cures the problem. Do people still get a vacuum in the tank when the cannister is removed? a small vacuum is to be expected but this seems alot and it may be affecting the fuel delivery.
This is completely normal and will not change if you remove your carbon cannister !