Carbon canister

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
There’s a breather hose that runs from the tank to the carbon canister to allow the tank to breath and the carbon canister filters out the petrol fumes

To those that have removed the carbon canister what did you do with the above breather hose, I removed the canister about a year ago but wasn't sure what to do with this hose so I put a bolt in the end for the time being and completely forgot about it

O

Odin

I blocked off one of them and just left the other running into the chassis.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Odin said:
I blocked off one of them and just left the other running into the chassis.

Rob
Thats what I did first time round but didn't fancy a chassis full of fuel fumes so I blocked it..........

suppose I could put a small filter on the end of it and tuck it in the wheel arch somewhere

O

Odin

stevepudney said:
That's what I did first time round but didn't fancy a chassis full of fuel fumes so I blocked it..........

suppose I could put a small filter on the end of it and tuck it in the wheel arch somewhere

The end of the chassis rail is open to the elements so I doubt that their would be any build up at all, The air will just flow through the front and out any holes in the chassis rails ;-) .

I'll be leaving it as is :thumbsup:.

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got a cheapy fuel filter on the end by the PO but I was thinking of stripping it back to the fuel tank for neatness. IIRC Ross did this... or was it you Rob?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yeah I suppose if you were worried about fumes or the smell of fuel getting into the cab you could take the pipe back to the tank and have a filter on it or feed it back into the chassis rail back there

After I had removed the canister I joined the pipe that comes from the fuel tank to the one that vents to the chassis rail, not had any problems so far...

youngsyp

I just disconnected the hose from the tank to the underbody pipe, at the pipe end and secured it there.
When I replace my fuel pump, I'll remove the hose at the tank end and tidy it up further, possibly blanking it off, depending on any other tank breathers I can find.

Swampy,

The carbon cannister and related pipe work isn't needed on the GTiR and just takes up space. Plus, getting rid of it removes a bit more weight from the front of the car !!

steve963

i just removed mine, i got one of the 2 fuel pipes and connected it to the t bar on the pipe which goes into the chassis

So ive sort of got a loop from the tank with a t into the chassis

think it`ll be ok?

youngsyp

Not sure where you mean bud. Where in the chassis ?

You can remove all the canister components fairly easily, bar the vacuum pipe (the pipe with the smallest diameter). You can just put a bolt, with silicon sealant round it, into that.
That's everything including: the canister, bracket, pipe to metal breather pipe under the car, metal breather pipe under the car (looks like a fuel pipe but, if you remove the plastic guard, you'll see it just vents to atmosphere !), pipe from metal pipe, from fuel tank, 'T' piece, pipe to valve in inner wing and the inner wing valve.
I think that's pretty much all the whole system !

steve963

will have to look again, as I thought the 2 pipes which come from under the car were from the fuel tank, i joined these 2 together via the t piece and the t went into the chassis rail

O

Odin

steve963 said:
will have to look again, as I thought the 2 pipes which come from under the car were from the fuel tank, i joined these 2 together via the t piece and the t went into the chassis rail
Their is 3 pipes from the fuel tank, One is the main fuel line that brings fuel to the engine, The second one is the fuel return line back to the tank, And last but not least you have the tank breather which goes to the carbon canister and the chassis rail.

Rob

steve963

is the 4th pipe you can see going under the car the one youngsyp mentions which stops under the car? or have i made a mess of it

i think 3 pipes are together as they go under the car and there is one more to the left,

O

Odin

steve963 said:
is the 4th pipe you can see going under the car the one youngsyp mentions which stops under the car? or have i made a mess of it

i think 3 pipes are together as they go under the car and there is one more to the left,
Maybe my memory is going as I can't remember a 4th pipe, I just remember the 3 pipes plus two brake lines :? .

When I removed mine, I just joined the one from the tank to the hose that came from the bottom of the canister into the chassis rail ;-) .

I wouldn't like to join two hoses that both go to the tank together because the tank then has no where to breath.

Rob

youngsyp

steve963 said:

That's the one bud. If you go under the car and remove the plastic guard, covering the pipes at the engine bay end, you'll see you can remove that fourth pipe, and its bracket !

*EDIT*

Just to add to this, follow the metal pipe under the car, that goes from the carbon cannister, to the fuel tank (the tank breather). Disconnect the rubber pipe from this metal pipe, as it goes up and to the top of the tank.
This will mean that the tank is breathing under the car, and not into the engine bay !

Last edited:
O

Odin

youngsyp said:
That's the one bud. If you go under the car and remove the plastic guard, covering the pipes at the engine bay end, you'll see you can remove that fourth pipe, and its bracket !
I can't rememer my car having this 4th pipe :? :? .

Rob