Cams

steve963

what sort of cams will give a lumpy tickover with massive top end power and revs

I want an engine which is lumpy but revs ferociously at the top end:roll:

O

Odin

steve963 said:
what sort of cams will give a lumpy tickover with massive top end power and revs

I want an engine which is lumpy but revs ferociously at the top end:roll:

Chuck some 280's in there that should do the job ;-) .

Rob

P

pulsarboby

my 278 pipers make for a lumpy tickover if thats what floats your boat lol
but after 2k rpm the power really does kick in right through to the rev limiter.

but youll only get the best from the cams if youve had the headwork done to get the best of them.
what im saying is if for example, if your still running a standard turbo elbow and unported head then its a waste of money just slapping a set of cams in there.
its all or nothing, half a job is useless

Mr GTiR

Odin said:
Chuck some 280's in there that should do the job ;-)
:shock: , I'm on either 270 or 272 and they are lumpy, can't imagine what 280 would be like :twisted:

Also, as well as having a fully ported head, if you don't have a BIG turbo then your just watsing your money as you will never get the most out of those cams.

P

pulsarboby

would have to be inclined to disagree there, as you cant get rid of the gases fast enough due to restrictions, standard cams will be an improvement if you use vernier pulleys and know how to dial them in correctly. theres a lot more to it than just sticking a set of cams on and away you go.
it will be of some improvement but i would not bother fitting them unless your gonna do the job properly tbh

O

Odin

Mr GTiR said:
:shock: , I'm on either 270 or 272 and they are lumpy, can't imagine what 280 would be like :twisted:

Well all he said was lumpy, I didn't say they'd be any good did I :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

steve963

sounds like a lot of cash, will have to look into it a bit more, but want some brutal top end power, with real free revving , lol

steve963

when you say head posting is that just the ports, do any of you have valves cut?, as I bet just the ports is alot cheaper

P

pulsarboby

you can have valve seats recut and angled! but i just went and had the head ported and gasflowed.
theres very good people and very bad people to carry out this work, if you want it done then i can recommend someone who does it properly but are always very busy!
your looking at between 350-400 to have head ported n gasflowed and thats with you removing valves yourself and giving him just the bare head.
down to you to do all the lapping in of valves and refitting, shimming etc.

if your going for a highlift cam then you will also need stronger valve springs as the standard ones will bounce and youll end up throwing all the rockers.

so its not a cheap job. its cheaper to rebuild an entire bottom end than have head work done properly!

Mr GTiR

steve963 said:
but want some brutal top end power, with real free revving , lol
If you want something that is free revving then you need the bottm end lightened and balanced with a lightweight flywheel.

Having a head ported and gasflowed just means you can flow more volume of air NOT rev it longer or harder.

If your having the head done then get the valves triple cut and get some bronze exhaust valve guides.

O

Odin

Those lumpy cams will get those 15 year old chavet's nickers wet quicker than a big Mc and Fry's :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

And I'm sure once you tell the lads in the pub they will be creaming their pants and running to the toilet to beat a quick one off :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

steve963

Odin said:
Those lumpy cams will get those 15 year old chavet's nickers wet quicker than a big Mc and Fry's :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Damn i`ve been rumbled:oops:

Keira

put a remote switch on one of the spark plug leads, you could have it running lumpy at will then :lol:

how high exactly do you intend to rev to and why ?

steve963

Dont think ive explained very well, I think im after more of a steep power curve, or what sort of cams give more top end power rather than low down

O

Odin

steve963 said:
Dont think ive explained very well, I think im after more of a steep power curve, or what sort of cams give more top end power rather than low down

To be honest you don't want to be producing all that power so far up the rev range with a standard engine, Unless you've had a rebuild with all the balancing work and matching head work I don't see the point, And I doubt very much that your engine would last long.

If you want a bit more power and keep the engine with in it's safe operating range then bung a set of HKS 264's in it.

Rob

Jonesy

Is it worth fitting uprated valve springs and guides when re-building the head. What does this improve, or prevent from happening.
Are the springs only worth getting for high reving engines.

O

Odin

Jonesy said:
Is it worth fitting uprated valve springs and guides when re-building the head. What does this improve, or prevent from happening.
Are the springs only worth getting for high reving engines.
A good engine builder will check the condition of your springs before re using them, Mine where fine for the rev range I plan on using.

For a high reving engine then you would need better springs I'm sure, Their are a few options to choose from.

Rob

steve963

Odin said:
To be honest you don't want to be producing all that power so far up the rev range with a standard engine, Unless you've had a rebuild with all the balancing work and matching head work I don't see the point, And I doubt very much that your engine would last long.

If you want a bit more power and keep the engine with in it's safe operating range then bung a set of HKS 264's in it.

Rob
point taken