Bumpsteer kit rose joint specs

youngsyp

Hi,
I've had one of Gordon Kay's bumpsteer kits fitted for about 6 months and the rosejoints have now worn out. So, I'm after replacing them. Does anyone know the specs for these? I'm pretty sure they are GASXW14x1.5 but, I need to confirm this before I buy them. I've tried to contact Gordon but, haven't had any response to date.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

Paul

youngsyp

Dooie Pop Pop said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 6 months :shock: did you have the rubber boots fitted?
Yep, it's probably a bit less than 6 months as they were fitted at the end of July and they've been like it for a while. It's either that or, they are lose within the sleeve that connects them to the steering rod. I'm pretty sure it's the rose joints though as, it's like they were when my Powerstation kit chucked it in!
They've worn the inside front of my front tyres to sh!t :shock: . That's why I need to get them sorted quickly !!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Was that a "yes" you did have the rubber boot/covers fitted to them, if so did you pack them with grease to keep all the dirt out.

C

chris-b

alright youngsyp- how it going.... gonna have to meet up- as havent seen your R yet!
wondered what happened too you. havent seen you on here for ages!
do you live near some one that has a mint red golf rallye?

chris

Dooie Pop Pop

youngsyp said:
Dooie Pop Pop said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 6 months :shock: did you have the rubber boots fitted?
Yep, it's probably a bit less than 6 months as they were fitted at the end of July and they've been like it for a while. It's either that or, they are lose within the sleeve that connects them to the steering rod. I'm pretty sure it's the rose joints though as, it's like they were when my Powerstation kit chucked it in!
They've worn the inside front of my front tyres to sh!t :shock: . That's why I need to get them sorted quickly !!
iirc they slagged off gordons kit didn' t they? iv had mine on with the boots for a good 6 months with no problems :?

youngsyp

chris-b said:
alright youngsyp- how it going.... gonna have to meet up- as havent seen your R yet!
wondered what happened too you. havent seen you on here for ages!
do you live near some one that has a mint red golf rallye?

chris
Hello mate. I've been around just not on here much. No, I haven't seen a Rallye around, at least not near me. We'll defo have to meet up as I don't see many R's around. I did see one going Through Upminster last Friday. I was filling up at the Shell !

I bit the bullitt and had a look under the car last night. The one that is worn is the N/S, I could move the spherical joint with my fingers with no effort whatsoever. And yes, I did have the boots on but, didn't pack them with grease. From what I can see, the boots aren't doing much apart from keeping any water and dirt that does get through, in the boot. I also remember having difficulty doing the nut up that secures the joint with the boot on. The top of the boot kept twisting and tried to rip. Any suggestions for this ?
The part number is FLURO GASW14x1.5. These are mild steel joints and I will be replacing them with GASXW14x1.5 which are chromoly and cheaper ?! These are £27.14 each + vat from autosport-bearings.co.uk. I shall then get the alignment set up at Elite as last time, the car was transformed, handling wise!

Cheers

Paul

Keira

youngsyp said:
I did have the boots on but, didn't pack them with grease.
Paul
:(

think theres your answer matey, any grit and s h i t that got past the boot is going straight to the bearing, it would've stuck to the grease if there was any there

youngsyp

Just to update this as mine have worn out again, despite using grease filled boots :roll:

I contacted the supply I get these from direct, namely www.autosport-bearings.co.uk They have advised me to use GASXW14 x 1.5MS for this application as these are specifically designed for the job, where as, the GASXW14 x 1.5 aren't.

The MS spec rose joints have a zero tolerance on the fit and are motorsport parts. They cost £30.09 each + vat. The standard boots, RDDS 8, will still work with these.

You will have to call them for these as they are not available on the site, from what I can see.

They did mention a spacer to use, basically to make the boot get a better seal but, i don't think we have the clearances to be able to utilise it !

Cheers

Paul

S

Stoned

Cheers for the heads up mate. I've had my kit from gordon on there 5 weeks and already it has a little play in it :shock:

Not overly impressed. Rubber boots are now fitted and packed with grease in the hope this helps them last. However 6 months is rubbish for something that costs £120. Makes you realise the Nissan OE track ends are actually well made!

youngsyp

Yeah, it's not good mate. I've gone through 1 x Powerstation kit and am on my 3rd change of rose joints from Gordons kit. All in the space of about a year :shock: :cry:

Hopefully, these new ones will be up to the job. I'm gonna have to order a set soon so, I'll post up and let everyone know !

00sid

hello, do these bearings (rod ends ) fit the powerstation kit, could do with getting a new set myself.

cheers. :)

boucherie

ive got one of gordons kits waiting to be fitted, wheres the best place to buy a set fo the rubber boots from and roughly how much are they as i want to prolong the life of the joints as much as possible, but at least we now know what to fit and where to go when they do eventually perish!

Nad

youngsyp said:
Yeah, it's not good mate. I've gone through 1 x Powerstation kit and am on my 3rd change of rose joints from Gordons kit. All in the space of about a year :shock: :cry:

Hopefully, these new ones will be up to the job. I'm gonna have to order a set soon so, I'll post up and let everyone know !
At the end of the Day Gordon tried saving everyone money. He doesnt use his car every day so not had an issue. I suppose its on the road use and research that helps product development. Knowing this now hopefully he can redevelop his kit to suit.

Nad

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
youngsyp

Have you fitted the new GASXW14 x 1.5MS rod end bearings yet??

I assume those who have the Gordon Kay rod ends can use tapered insert part.

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
youngsyp

Have you fitted the new GASXW14 x 1.5MS rod end bearings yet??

I assume those who have the Gordon Kay rod ends can use tapered insert part.
No, I haven't used them yet but, will be very soon as my last lot are now knocking !

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about the tapered insert part ? But, you can use the GASXW14 x 1.5MS in the Gordon Kay threaded sleeve.

youngsyp

00sid said:
hello, do these bearings (rod ends ) fit the powerstation kit, could do with getting a new set myself.

cheers.
I think you can but, don't quote me on that ! If you can, you will need to drill out the pin out that secures the rose joint within the threaded sleeve. Then just screw in the new rose joint !

boucherie said:
ive got one of gordons kits waiting to be fitted, wheres the best place to buy a set fo the rubber boots from and roughly how much are they as i want to prolong the life of the joints as much as possible, but at least we now know what to fit and where to go when they do eventually perish!
You can get them from the same place as the rose joints, www.autosport-bearings.co.uk They are part no RDDS 8 and cost £2.53 + vat each. However, I think they require a minimum of £15 per order !

Cheers

Paul

C

c11gtr

just a note there is no pin holding the rose joint to the sleve they just screw on some of the first ones had thread lock on so you may head to heat the sleve up to get them out. my own units have been on over a year noe with no boots and have done 4 track days and used most weekends had them checked sat and no play in them. ????

youngsyp

c11gtr said:
my own units have been on over a year noe with no boots and have done 4 track days and used most weekends had them checked sat and no play in them. ????
You have either been extremely fortunate or, I have been extremely unfortunate :!: I've gone through 2 sets without boots (1x Powerstation and 1x Gordon's kit) and 2 sets with boots (my own sourced replacements) :shock: Am I doing something wrong :?: