bov noise

B

boozyboo

right, i have heard 2 types of dump valves.
1, goes ..Wooop TISSSSSSSSS
thats like the commen one.
2, then theres 1 thats hard to explain. it kind of whistle/flutters
i want the second one but would not know what to ask for.
i apologise if its been asked before, i did search, but couldnt find the relivent thread.
HELP
Cheers lads

EVOBAD

the one your after is a blo off valve blitz-hks turbosmart etc iv got a blitz s-sound forsale if intresed only 4months old

stumo

get a screamer pipe......you'll be spurting allover the place.........and esp at Maccy D's

GTIR-LOZ

the first one is a dumpvalve noise and the second is prob when the dumpvalve is removed and the air then returns through the airfilter causing that sound,8) do a search on utube for wastegate flutter/chatter and you should hear it, usually you are ok with roller bearing turbos as the bearings are much better than the standard but its not advised with the standard turbo

B

boozyboo

cheers for all your replies.
TRIP. you got it spot on with the lancia, dats the noise i want. whats it called? would i get one for an R?

MarkTurbo

Theres no such thing as wastegate chatter for f**ks sake :doh:

GTIR-LOZ said:
usually you are ok with roller bearing turbos as the bearings are much better than the standard but its not advised with the standard turbo
Whys that then? This is where that old wives tale comes out about running a turbo with no dump valve will cut the life expectancy of the turbo in half :yawn: Dont believe every thing you read/hear ;-)

Trip

boozyboo said:
TRIP. you got it spot on with the lancia, dats the noise i want. whats it called? would i get one for an R?
I really don't know. That lancia is my competitor and even if i ask the owner i will never get any details whats under that bonnet.
Incidentally mine does that type of sound but very very faintly(running on standard boost), I don't know if its coming from the actuator(HKS) or the BOV which i don't know the make.

My BOV is showing in this pic
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/Trip_gtir/DSCF0033.jpg

Last edited:

youngsyp

boozyboo said:
whats it called?
It's called compressor surge.

It's caused by the under pressure charge, between the turbo and throttle plates, being forced back through the turbine blades, once the throttles are shut. You can get the sound by either not having a BOV at all or, having a BOV with a high pressure spring, that only opens at high boost.

If you have an HKS SSQV, with the adjuster bolt on the rear, you can achieve the sound by winding the bolt all the way in.

As for accelerating turbo bearing wear, that seems to be a grey area. Most of the serious Evo guys run without a BOV and don't seem to suffer from premature turbo failure. As Markturbo has said, this appears to be an old wives tail !

The only tangible downside to getting this sound is that at its extreme, it could be stalling the turbine wheel, and therefore, compressor wheel. So, you will get an increase in spool up time and therefore, lag.

B

boozyboo

thanks again for all your help, im getting me 1st R in a couple of weeks, shes silver, so il have a play around with a few bovs and see if i can get it right, without sharfting my car. lol.
trip.. thats the same one i had on my charade gtti but it didnt make the flutter, mind you, it was only 997cc an 160bhp.

fubar.. i will be driving a r mate. not a chaved up corsa.lol but thanks anyway..
k9ng... i looked on poo-bay but coulnt find an arc. where did you get yours. cheers buddy.

lewis

GTIR-LOZ

if you read my post again mark it says do a search on you tube for it as thats what you can find it under, above that i put what actually happens i.e the air returning through turbo to airfilter i agree its not wastegate chatter !

i thought the standard thrust bearings would not be able to cope thats all i heard:roll:

P

pulsarboby

boozyboo said:
thanks again for all your help, im getting me 1st R in a couple of weeks, shes silver, so il have a play around with a few bovs and see if i can get it right, without sharfting my car. lol.
trip.. thats the same one i had on my charade gtti but it didnt make the flutter, mind you, it was only 997cc an 160bhp.

fubar.. i will be driving a r mate. not a chaved up corsa.lol but thanks anyway..
k9ng... i looked on poo-bay but coulnt find an arc. where did you get yours. cheers buddy.

lewis
think the car already has a dv on it lewis, not sure what make though!
once ive tuned it up & serviced it il let you know what the dv sounds like;-)
am phoning dvla today to see what i need to do regarding transferring the private plate, then il crack on and get the car mot'd etc next week for you.