Blow through setups

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Not sure yet....but probably just supply

The ageing OEM Z32MAF as a unit seems to rely on the internal mastic type seals surrounding the sensor, plug and lid and even when new have been shown to leak, especially when being used under boost pressures it wasn't designed to withstand.
On these units the sensor would be sealed into position this will seal the MAF unit completely, the lid as on the OEM MAF would then held in place by the sealant filling the box. The OEM lid could be re-used or if your concerned about the look an alloy lid could be fabbed up and again sealed into position.
That's what I already said (well sort of LOL) I just forgot about the O ring..........

P

pulsarboby

i would use potting compost as itll make the torque grow very quickly:)

P

pulsarboby

nah its not really is it
best i dont give up the day job:lol:

Trip

Its not an Z32 maf though. Probabably the best solution is as stated above, Potting compound.

RO_SUNNY

Hi mates.

So....basicly what I did is took out the plastic lid from the z32 filled all the void spaces in there with a 2 parts composite (that when it hardens it's stronger then plastic), put the lid back on and then just sealed the lid with the same composite.

Results:

I also did the same thing with the plug.

If this doesn't hold it into position without leaking I don't know something else which will hold it, besides the aluminium maf housing:D:D:D:d

Trip

Personally, I would have preferred a low viscosity liquid type substance which will fill any possible space inside and harden like resin. What is the material you are using ?

johnny gtir

i know this is a old thread but can anybody make these like the picture on page one good welds and shiny not even to use as blow by yet just wanting to finish off engine bay with shiny bits price please

Surely the ECU takes into account lag. As standard it knows where the sensor is and will have lag accounted for?
What i mean is.... when it detects the airflow at a certain point, it knows it will take so many engine cycles before that point actually gets into the engine, at which point it will adjust the fueling then. So by moving the sensor closer to the intake, the ECU will be making changes a little too late.?
Its the same for when using a wide-band in the exhaust system when re-mapping.

Also, it's before the turbo for a reason; When the ECU calculates the air, it does it at a known air pressure (atmospheric) and works its calcs out from there. if your changing this pressure (under boost) then the calculations will be wrong.
Someone correct me if im wrong.....lol, I'm just looking at it from a technical point of view.
Mine you some of said you have done it and it worked... but was that because it was mapped for this change?

Trip

Surely the ECU takes into account lag. As standard it knows where the sensor is and will have lag accounted for?
What i mean is.... when it detects the airflow at a certain point, it knows it will take so many engine cycles before that point actually gets into the engine, at which point it will adjust the fueling then. So by moving the sensor closer to the intake, the ECU will be making changes a little too late.?
Its the same for when using a wide-band in the exhaust system when re-mapping.
So when installing a front mount IC with a very long pipe run, will the ECU be too early ?

The MAF reads airflow and not pressure so if air is sucked in or blown through, it will sense the same flow.

So when installing a front mount IC with a very long pipe run, will the ECU be too early ?
Yes I think it would mate..... thats why they say that any modification you make from standard it is advised you get a re-map. I don't tune cars so can't say for sure but I bet even changing the exhaust and air filter will have effects on the ECU (even if they are so slight it may not matter).

The MAF reads airflow and not pressure so if air is sucked in or blown through, it will sense the same flow
Yes it uses air flow to calculate the mass of air entering the engine.... in combustion, your trying to achieve the right mix or air/fuel.... so you need to know the mass or air entering the engine. Part of the calculation requires the pressure of the air (which is know at atmospheric). If you put the sensor after the turbo, then it will detect the same air 'flow' yes, but that flow is under more pressure than at atmospheric pressure and so would give the wrong reading for the actual mass.....
Make sense?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think the ECU is that smart to be honest.

The MAF just reads the volume of air going though it, which the ECU uses to calculate how much fuel to add. - I'm pretty sure on these cars it doesn't even take into acount the temperature. The standard MAF won't work in a blow-by configuration anyway because it relies on turbulance to get an accurate reading, and relies on the air being at atmospheric pressure; that's why it needs be be a Z32 or similar.

Perhaps the TPS is what tells the ECU that it's time to check the airflow and adjust the mixture accordingly?