Bleeding brakes

nismoboy

Just fitted my AP 4 pot brakes, replaced the fluid and fitted braided lines.
I bled the brakes in this order Rear left, rear right, front left, front right. I went to test them tonight and when I put my foot on the brakes the pedal goes flat to the floor and you have to pump it to get them to work. Is there something I've done wrong :?: Do you have to have the ignition on when you bleed them :?: Any ideas :idea:
I've seached previous post and can't find anything that helps :(

A

Anonymous

nismoboy said:
Just fitted my AP 4 pot brakes, replaced the fluid and fitted braided lines.
I bled the brakes in this order Rear left, rear right, front left, front right. I went to test them tonight and when I put my foot on the brakes the pedal goes flat to the floor and you have to pump it to get them to work. Is there something I've done wrong :?: Do you have to have the ignition on when you bleed them :?: Any ideas :idea:
I've seached previous post and can't find anything that helps :(
that's not the order iirc.try refining your search as i'm almost positive it's been mentioned before but i think it's front left,rear right,front right then rear left.

remember i only think that's the order.make sure that your tube is immersed into the fluid and it's not touching the side of the jar or whatever recepticle you're using :wink:

http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/view...ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bleeding+brakes

it was in routine maintenance and servicing :wink:

try that 1 :wink:

S

Stoned

Start from furthest away and work in. I had exactly the same problem but it really was just air in the system. Also make sure you have your ignition on if you have ABS or you will never get it all out.

nismoboy

I've searched the forum and found a post that said this was the order to bleed the brakes, left rear,right front,right rear,left front, does this sound right :?:

A

Anonymous

nismoboy said:
I've searched the forum and found a post that said this was the order to bleed the brakes, left rear,right front,right rear,left front, does this sound right :?:
fast guy quotes that from the link above,so i'd say def :D

O

Odin

I just did mine starting at the furthest away and working closer :wink: , Oh I have AP's to and i never had the ignition on ether :lol: :wink: .

And they work very well indeed 8) :wink: .

rob

nismoboy

i bled them twice today how u all described too and they are much better, they work but there still not right. The pedal is still spongy?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did you bleed both sides of the AP calipers as you may have air trapped in them. Did you keep topping the reservoir up when bleeding?

S

Stoned

Just do what I did and get them good enough to drive, then take your car to the garage and they will do it properly with their suction bleed system. End result is perfect brake pedal again

nismoboy

Stoned said:
Just do what I did and get them good enough to drive, then take your car to the garage and they will do it properly with their suction bleed system. End result is perfect brake pedal again
i think thats the best option. ive bled them and now they work a bit so i`ll get it booked in somewhere and get then done properly with a suction bleed sytem. cheers nis.

zia

garage and they will do it properly with their suction bleed system
you sure it not the pressure bleed system your on about?. where they connect big box containing, remote resiour with fluid and attachment to the master cylindar with fluid pipe, air pressure guage and controller, and they turn it on and one person can therefore bleed the brakes?
i have ap's and never had any problem's at all.

zia

S

Stoned

No. I mean a system where it literally sucks the fluid through the system from each bleed nipple :)

nismoboy

The ap`s have 2 bleed niples on each caliper, do u bleed both nipples at the same time or individulally? as i bled the 2 nipples one at a time so this could be why there still spongy.

S

Stoned

Only garages as far as I know, and considering my local garage did it on mine for £15 including the fluid you know it makes sense

Of course you can get Gunsons ezebleed kits from Halfords for about £15 which work the other way round by pressurising the master cylinder and pushing the fluid through. But unless they have changes their designs since I bought mine a year ago, you will find none of the supplied brake cylinder caps fit the Pulsar reservoir

nismoboy

nismoboy said:
The ap`s have 2 bleed niples on each caliper, do u bleed both nipples at the same time or individulally? as i bled the 2 nipples one at a time so this could be why there still spongy.
??

S

Stoned

Bleeding them one at a time is fine. Do the inner one first I think then the outer one.

nismoboy

Stoned said:
Bleeding them one at a time is fine. Do the inner one first I think then the outer one.

cheers, im gonna try bleeding them again today, then if it still dosent work i`ll book it in somewhere.

nismoboy

sorted the brakes! the problem was, the engine had to be running! when i bled them with just the ignition on they went hard,but then as soon as i turned the engine on they went soft, So i just bled them with the engine running and now its fine :) .