Bad clutch judder from standstill with heavy clutch pedal.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm assuming these are related, but in the last week or so I've developed bad clutch judder when pulling away normally in 1st and reversing. If I give it more revs it settles down. Changing gear seems fine and there's no apparant clutch slip. Now I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but I think the clutch pedal is abit stiffer too. I have an RPS clutch so it's stiff anyway, but I think more so now.

I'm thinking possibly my uprated clutch fork might be on it's way out or possibly the clutch release bearing is knackered.

Anyone else any other suggestions? I could only find one thread and the guy never let on if and what had sorted it for him.

red reading

Organic plate? if so the material has become baked and hard on the plate or oil contamination (gearbox bearing seal) carl.

will especially be a symptom for you as the amount of standing starts the car has done, clutch forks etc won't cause those issue

CruiseGTi-R

My other car's clutch does this ever since I tried a launch :doh:, was also told its the plate material gone hard/glazed. Judders a bit pulling away unless I give it a bit more throttle.

I'm pulling my RPS from the R (done about 2k), swapping to something lighter, bear it in mind if you want a replacement.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Organic plate? if so the material has become baked and hard on the plate or oil contamination (gearbox bearing seal) carl.

will especially be a symptom for you as the amount of standing starts the car has done, clutch forks etc won't cause those issue
Yes it's the organic one. It hasn't had any abuse this year, would that rule out baking? Oil, could be I guess. Could crankshaft rear oil seal be a culprit too? (although I think gearbox is more likely)

I have considered going to a lighter clutch. Is a helix organic OK for 400ish if I manage to get a remap.

skiddusmarkus

Thats what I've got Carl(with heavy duty cover) with just under 400 and its been great but I haven't done any standing starts since the remap so will have to see.Will probably be going to the last York meet in october and find out then.

red reading

not really carl,just slipping the clutch in traffic after the abuse could finish it off, as for crank seal it would have to be a big leak to get to the clutch as it will have to be sprayed all round the bell housing, where as the gearbox seal it will just run along the shaft and it only need be a tiny bit, i should'nt think a helix will fair any better either as it is still organic (mine started to judder after abuse running 400 + and then sliped if launched hard, was fine after it cooled down but just juddered and the paddle was'nt happy at all that i fitted after launching the car), i have a complete os giken if interested.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think the OS Giken might be overkill for me. (well at the moment anyway) as my RPS has still never seen anywhere near the rated 450lbft.

Will the judder do any damage if I left it for a while?

red reading

well yes and no, depends how bad. it's is shock loading the geartrain to and extent, and the giken is not that expensive pm me if you want to know more.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Leaky slave cylinder dumping brake fluid on it? I think that's what did for mine when it came apart.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I had those symptoms, simply it was warped.

It just started happening one day after it had been sat in the garage. I had the flywheel skimmed and it went away.

I was using a RPS Max Street clutch.

Simplez

danr

can you try slipping the clutch for a few seconds in high gear to clean?
i have a leaky slave cylinder, which i think is causing judder on mine (slight). i can see a very faint trail of fluid on front of bell housing. so i guess this is causing a slow return of piston, thus judder
next job, yawn ...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I had a very quick look at my slave yesterday and there's no signs of a leak. The piston rod is out along way and flapping around like a dick at a dogging session. There's quite abit of free play in the fork, so unless I have two problems then I think the (uprated:doh:) fork maybe goosed.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That's what I was thinking.:cry:
Time to sell the old peice of shit:twisted:..........................or just get it sorted and carry on:-D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'll have to drive it away from the house to do that. I'm scared the judder might make it fall to bits first and it'll be stuck on my drive:doh:

johnsy

i had a judder that got progressively got worse turned out one of the springs had snapped and over the period of about 150 miles it loosened all the pressure plates bolts till it basically just fell apart

the aftermath

Iv currently got the RPS streetmax (puk stlye) fitted and thats developed a kinda noise on initial engagement into 1st, hard to describe the noise more a wherrring than a judder and that happened after the last trip to york 10 launches, when it eventually needs changing im going to have new friction material fitted and see how that goes,

johnsy

fooking impressive though, in all fairness it was a used clutch but i destroyed it in one day round cadwell park, just got me home