ARP rod bots

hi guys..
I want upgrade my engine,but I don't want remove all..
I want change only engine bearing with acl race series..
but it is possible install on the R the ARP rod bolts without remove the crank,rods and the pistons from the block?
attend your reply
thanks
bye
Andrea

noriek2003

no, you wont get the old ones out, i though about it and semi tried on a scrap engine but it was a waste of time tbh

nismoboy

no, you wont get the old ones out, i though about it and semi tried on a scrap engine but it was a waste of time tbh

Ive done it, but i had to file a small piece out on the underside of the block , theres a small ally piece where the larger sump bolts to if i remember correctly it sticks out and obstrucks you and all i did was file this back a bit so i could get the last main bearing in on . The rods are easy, just undo and relpace bearings and rod bolts as u go and the mains will just slide back over the crank, Its a fiddley job and very awkward when laying on your back, but if you paitient and handy with the tools it can be done.

thanks a lot for your reply
can you do an how to guide with pics about change rod bolt when rods are in the engine?
thanks
bye
Andrea

Trondelond

here's a pic from the underside of the rods - maybe that will help. Both sumps are removed here, so this is what you'll be looking at :

That last "cover" comes off easily as well, but I'd think you will have to be pretty skilled and patient (or both) if you're going to do that with the engine in place. Not to mention the amounts of lactic acid in your arms. :D I think I'd flip the car over instead.

noriek2003

nismoboy said:
The rods are easy, just undo and relpace bearings and rod bolts as u go
how did you get the standard rod bolts out ?

i had to beat them out of the rod i took out with a large hammer which is when i gave up the idea :lol:

red reading

you'd could get them out and replace them one at a time,but you risk buggering up the crank shells and bending the big end caps doing it specially using a big hammer.

so as keiron says not a good idea to do it this way!

P

pulsarboby

you'd could get them out and replace them one at a time,but you risk buggering up the crank shells and bending the big end caps doing it specially using a big hammer.

so as keiron says not a good idea to do it this way!

as danny said, you can only do one at a time with a bullnosed centre punch and a big club hammer.

i agree 'not worth the risk of marking the crank as the shock could crack it' then you would have wished you had left the original bolts in there lol

nismoboy

how did you get the standard rod bolts out ?

i had to beat them out of the rod i took out with a large hammer which is when i gave up the idea :lol:
i un did the rod caps and put 2 nuts on the rod bolt threads then used a socked and rachet to turn the bolt very slightly moving the bolt in a left to right action while pushing, miine came out bar one and all i did was
use a set of mole grips and grip the body of the rod with one end and the bottom of the rod bolt with the other, they are tight but will squeeze out.

Last edited:

noriek2003

cool to hear how you managed it.

Getting the arps in is easy so i knew it would be doable if you could get the old ones out in a semi sensible way, i just couldn't be bothered after beating the cr@p out of one...lol

some heat on the rod could possibly make them easier to twist out