2 things to ask

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Here is the FC commander manual for the RX7. 95% is the same and any questions for what you need are easy to answer.

The PFC manual I recall said disconnect battery, swap ECU, reconnect battery, not very helpful.

The sensor page and options page is where you will spend most of your time

Attachments

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
No problem, it will give you a feel for all the options.

PFC is quite an old design nowadays. 15 years ago there was a lively modding community with Datalogit that opens up all the hidden features and allows you to self map more easily.

The standard options will take it to 480 hp and by re-calibrating a larger MAF it will go to 600hp. I did all my own mapping from scratch with the PFC as I learnt different strategies to tuning the car for performance and daily running/economy 365 days a year.

What turbo/injectors will you be you running

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Good news, I've found the SR20DET manual.
Bad news, it's in Japanese and at 2.5Mb the site says it's too big to upload.
If you want it let me know

Cathode

I'll be running 550 Evo injectors and a Garrett 2871R. the current chipped ECU I have is mapped upto 1.2 bar hooked up to a blitz boost controller. But I think it'd be wise to just run standard boost pressure on a fresh rebuild while running in.

If there is a way to send the file, the wife speaks and can read Japanese. So, she'll have to translate.

Cathode

Actually Campbell, I'll have a look through the PFC manual you posted up previously first. I'm sure that'll more than likely fill in most of the blanks foe me :)

Cathode

So, if I bought the R35 MAF, does the MAF connector from the Pulsar plug straight into it without any buggering about whatsoever? None at all? I know I shouldn’t dare to think that it wouldn’t but maybe just maybe, someone will quote me happy.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hi Cathode, I doubt that it will be plug and play, the z32 I used required the loom to be cut and the new plug soldered in. Not a big job but something to consider.

Good idea to run standard boost whilst running in and sorting out flaws in the map.

Cathode

As I suspected! But as you say , not a big job. I’m no stranger to a bit of soldering so no probs. Thanks for the heads up Campbell. Much appreciated. If I don’t hear from you before hand, merry Christmas to you and yours.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I also bought the R35 maf, but never found away to wire it up correctly, plus I needed to weld in a mounting for it which was a nightmare.

I may still opt to attempt this next year if I can find out some more information on the wiring for the R35 maf.

However I might just opt for the Haltec system and run a MAP and Audi R8 coils instead!

Cathode

Yowser! Haltech? As in the whole ECU set up? Sorry if I sound green here. Plus R8 coils? Learn something new every day. Is there any write ups about this anywhere?

Cathode

Is the Z32 MAF a straight plug in? I mean just the connection I know it’d need mapping but straight plug compatibility with the pulsar connector?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Yowser! Haltech? As in the whole ECU set up? Sorry if I sound green here. Plus R8 coils? Learn something new every day. Is there any write ups about this anywhere?

Yeah I use the Nistune system, but I've had a few issues with it in the past and I'd rather upgrade to something more modern that can watch for knock better, allow better sensor feedback, boost control and they offer a simple RNN14 connector plug which makes things much easier.

Plus I can run the R8 coils with it, but I need to look into this in greater detail as I've only seen a few basic guides and videos so far.

Mighty Car Mods launched a video on this Dec 2019 which mentioned about the R8 coils which I had no idea about!

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've compared both the internals of a genuine Nissan Z32 and the Chinese knock off and I'd NEVER run a knock off again!

The parts inside the cheap one was laughable and highly suspect on its quality, durability and also accuracy...

I'd buy direct from Nissan to ensure I bough the a quality item, rather than having something shipped from "CHIYNA" and the cheap sensor broken or damaged as its bounced around the world in transit!

Also what ECU are you going to be using, it might be worth looking to see if you can use a MAF from a R35, something my Nistune would allow. However I'll be going to a map sensor when mine comes back on the road with a different ECU, something you might want to consider?

Just to add to this, I found the photos I was on about today by accident (when you end up clearing old external hard drives!)

I though it would be good to add these photos anyway so there is a photo record of genuine Z32 and fake one!

FAKE ----------------- GENUINE
20150314_135541~2.jpg20150314_135559~2.jpg

FAKE ----------------- GENUINE
20150314_135618~2.jpg20150314_135721~2.jpg20150314_135753~2.jpg

Last edited: