2 things to ask

Cathode

No.1: is this ok to buy or do i really want to get an original Nissan part?

No.2: i plan to run my R between 350 and 400 somewhere so i'd like to get some cooler spark plugs.
Would heat 8 be enough?

Many thanks

Billy

astarozna

By the looks of it that's ok to buy, someone will correct me if i'm wrong, have on experience with them i'm running map
That's what most people run NGK Bcr8es

geoff pine

I remember looking at the price off a new z32 some years ago it was around £300 this is brand new ! and not a Nissan original . Possibly a Chinese copy if no one on here pops up to say yes I've bought one and its fine i think its a case of buyer beware .

geoff pine

Just had quick look on e-bay you can buy the same one in another advert for £26. 98!! yet second had Nissan one are going for upwards of £120 or more .

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've compared both the internals of a genuine Nissan Z32 and the Chinese knock off and I'd NEVER run a knock off again!

The parts inside the cheap one was laughable and highly suspect on its quality, durability and also accuracy...

I'd buy direct from Nissan to ensure I bough the a quality item, rather than having something shipped from "CHIYNA" and the cheap sensor broken or damaged as its bounced around the world in transit!

Also what ECU are you going to be using, it might be worth looking to see if you can use a MAF from a R35, something my Nistune would allow. However I'll be going to a map sensor when mine comes back on the road with a different ECU, something you might want to consider?

Cathode

I had thought it may be a case of poor quality. Why else would it be way cheaper than an original. Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate your input as people who have been there and done that. OEM is really the only way forward.

ECU wise it has a chipped unit by A1 that was bought from none other than Bobby from GTI-R-us by the previous owner some years back. It's mapped upto 1.2 bar according to the receipt.

zia

I had thought it may be a case of poor quality. Why else would it be way cheaper than an original. Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate your input as people who have been there and done that. OEM is really the only way forward.

ECU wise it has a chipped unit by A1 that was bought from none other than Bobby from GTI-R-us by the previous owner some years back. It's mapped upto 1.2 bar according to the receipt.
No idea what A1 is but doesn't sound very reliable,or customizable...id been concerned using it for 400bhp.

zia

Cathode

No idea either. I doubt they are a reputable or a big company, but the car ran well prior to rebuild. It was a drag slag. Running @ about 330 according to a dyno print out. I understand what you're saying Zia, I never intended to run 400 on this particular ECU. But I'd imagine a Z32 MAF is one of the steps that can get me closer to that goal.

I'm going to get it booked down at abbey in Oxsted to see what's what. If it needs an ECU change I'm sure mark will sort me out.

Last edited:

Cathode

@ Geoff : I'd also seen the OEM Z32 MAF sensors for the price you stated. Hence why I posted up to see if this offering is too good to be true. I guess it's stil a case of you get what you pay for.

keastygtir

@ Geoff : I'd also seen the OEM Z32 MAF sensors for the price you stated. Hence why I posted up to see if this offering is too good to be true. I guess it's stil a case of you get what you pay for.
have a look a the R35 one as this can work very well with Nistune. Check with Edward Ralph for more information.

Cathode

I feel ill ! I always do after spending quite a lot of money. Just purchased an Apexi powerFC v-con pro with the commander specifically for the SR20DET. It's used and has come off a Pulsar.

Anyway , EDIT : 3 things to ask. So the third thing is, now having purchased said item, what does this mean in terms of the AFM? should i just stick with the standard one? Should i get a better one? Do i need one at all with the Apexi?

opinions are what i'm after so please fire away!

zia

The apexi carn't do map + throttle based load mapping so you will still need a afm.but should allow you to use either z32 or r35 etc

Zia

Cathode

Thanks for this Zia. Just a question of what to choose. I imagine the options are better than standard

splmum

z32 us the usual upgrade, but, now the R35 is becoming popular as it has higher resolution readings, better for your air intake.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Good thing with the PFC is it has a base map and you can select the MAF through the commander. I'd just start with standard and take it to the tuner to sort out if you're unsure. It also has a boost controller built in which is a good safety mechanism for over boost issues.

The issue with the Chinese copies is the calibration is different to standard so at best would need to be mapped around and at worst will fail in a way that causes the engine to run lean or rich.

Cathode

Campbell, thank you for reacting to this post. I knew none of these things so this is very helpful. I'm going to purchase and instruction manual for it as mine came without. Hopefully it'll have some more in depth info on the how, what, when and why.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I think I have a pdf of the manual for the PFC on the home PC. If I can't see a link on the internet I will dig it out.

Edit: All the links on the internet seem to be dead, I'll look later

Last edited: