17s and handling

J

J-GTi-R

Good point Shalom.

Ok, from experience going from stock 14s with 185/60/14 to 15s with 195/50/15s I did notice the ride got crashier and the car tended to tramline and follow the bumps on the road more (the latter probably because of the extra width). This was going to Compomotive MOs, which are very, very strong, being a rally wheel, but also pretty heavy as a result. Grip increased 10-fold, but I was going from completely knackered Falkens to Toyo Proxes.

When I put on the Wilwood 4-pot kit I didn't notive any difference in handling, but then the extra weight of the big disks was cancelled out by going from a cast caliper to an alloy caliper.

skiddusmarkus

Getee-picky git :wink: .

I'd be interested to see what the standard wheels,brake setup(discs,calipers and pads) and struts weigh compared to the aftermarket stuff we all love.
Anyone with unfitted aftermarket brakes,suspension or wheels,can you post the weight on a thread I'll stickify in Tuning?Ta muchly.

kyepan

That would make interesting reading definitly, cause it would be interestin if you could end up with a bigger wheel and disc, but cause of the lighter caliper and wheels it ends up the same or lighter overall.

Do u think nad has weighed the standard disc's and calipers?

If we could get weights for the following calipers that would be ace!
Does anyone know which of the after market ones come with alloy calipers?

AP - they must do
Hispec- ?
Willwood - ?
Brembo - ?
r33 caliper conversion - not likely
any other makes..

If anyone knows the weight of any of these calipers or any others, and rough weights/size of the discs that you have..

kyepan

Wilwood’s Billet Dynalite caliper weighs 2.5 pounds - is that the one they now use in the rally designs kit, it used to be the midilite but cant see that on the willwood site.

Thats 1.13 kilos, standards calipers are 4.5kgs (thanks skiddus) so thats 3.37 kgs to spend on discs before you break even... less mounting bits and bobs.

AP's seem to weigh about 2-2.5 kgs for 4 pot and 3-3.7kgs for six pot. so thats a 1-2.5kgs saving

HISPEC monster 4's are 2.2kgs.. (billet4's weigh 1.7kgs) monster6 caliper not listed. which probably what goes on our brake kits, if i'm guessing correctly. once again roughly 2.5kgs saved.

before fitting monster discs that is.

so the general saving is between 1-2.5kgs.. anyone know if that will make a real difference?

geetee

HAHA... so now you start to see my point muahhahahaha :wink:

You're still losing the extra sidewall flex of the 14's though.

And adding the tramlining of the wider rubber.

Can't win eh :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

geetee

I'm sorry... I have to do this

jimmybackb wrote:
thanks kyepan.................geetee please take note this man know wot hes talking about
kyepan more recently wrote
so the general saving is between 1-2.5kgs.. anyone know if that will make a real difference?
Night Jimbob
Night Granma

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

J

J-GTi-R

:lol: :lol: you ain't proved nothing, my handling definitely got worse with the 15s as it would skip over the rougher corners rather than absorb the bumps and grip, so the car felt a lot more unsettled. On smooth roundabouts I could add about another 10mph onto my cornering speed though.

geetee

I'm not trying to prove anything :lol:

As I said, larger wheels will affect your handling but to what degree and in what way is dependant on a lot of factors - not just the size.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah I know, it's all some weird black art trying to figure all that out. Still, I recon chrome 19in spinners would look well bling on an 'R, everyone should get them... :lol: :lol: :lol:

kyepan

reason i said that "anyone know if this will make a difference" was that 5kgs lighter wheels definitly makes a difference to the feel and handelling, but i'm not so sure 1-2.5 of non rotating caliper will be so noticable. Fact is, i understand the general principle of the math, but wouldn't be able to translate that into an assesment of how it affects the car in real terms - lap times. everything is should, would, could, might..its a guesstimate

put it this way though geetee , if you keep the same disc size and wheel size, but loose 5-7kgs of weight per corner by changing the wheels and calipers, it cant be a bad thing can it? 20-28kgs reduced unsprung weight.

hope anyone interested enjoyed readin how much all the calipers and bits weigh..

JB

geetee

Can we cut the weight bits out and save them to a new thread somewhere?

Then sacrificially burn the rest of this thread....... as an example of how things can dissappear up their own arse!! :lol:

Perhaps then the forum gods can smile upon us again and we shall be happy and our threads will be helpful and conscise. (And devoid of ego :oops: )

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

ashills

sorted now fellas im getting a set of 17s for the road and keeping my 15s to put some toyo semi slicks on for the drag strip/track

cheers for the very long replys LOL