17s and handling

ashills

Do 17s really muck the handling up that much as im feed up trying to find the wheels i want in 16s at reasonable money

geetee

Got 17's on mine - love the handling. But never driven an R on anything else. :?

I think it makes the ride harsher and a bit more skittery cos you haven't got the flex in the sidewall...

Can't see any other reason as the rolling diameter is the same.

But then I'm sure a decent set of dampers will sort that.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

JIMMYBACK

if u get a heavy set of wheels it will effect the braking deffo....... i know i had a set of 17" wolfrace urban racer 5 on mine very nice to look at but acceleration and braking were shite :shock:

geetee

That's utter horse-shite.

If you get the right profile tyres for your 17's to keep the rolling diameter the same - how can it have any affect on acceleration and braking?

ooh look ... there's me old wife... I bet she has a tale to tell too :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

chrisniss91

The best tyre size and wheel for me was my 15's

I have 16''s and mattgtir did have 17''s i dont notice any difference at all.

G

GTiRsalter

i have put me 14" wheels on as i needed to change the tires on my 17" wheel and it is much more fun with the 14" wheels.

You dont have to fight with the steering wheel down bumpy country roads at speed like i do with my big wheels.

Plus i get a more progressive slide/drift with the small wheels at slower speeds.

Dont really want to put my 17" wheels back on but the standard wheels look crap and i wonna put my big discs back on.

ian.

kyepan

size isn't really the issue, its the unsprung weight of the car. thats the weight of the wheel, hub,brakes etc, essentially everything after the suspension, .

If the unsprung weight is heavier it will affect the following

acceleration - more mass to rotate, so more energy needed to rotate it.
braking - more mass rotating, more energy needed to slow it down.
turning the wheel - like spinning top/gyroscope the less mass the easier it is to change direction
cornering - the suspension has to push a heavier mass back down onto the road, that takes more time in comparison, so the wheel is in contact with the road for less time producing more less.

in short, if you can get a 17" wheel that weighs the same or less than your 16's it will make no difference at all.

If you get some heavy as feck deep dish bling alloys, which I doubt you will, your r will do all the things our car does a little slower and more sluggishly.

i had two sets of 15"s one set of oz polaris and one set of enkei magnesium rims. 9.8 and 4.9 kilos each. when i put the enkeis on it transformed the handelling of the car in all the areas i mentioed above. so i am a bit biased towards light weight wheels.

hope this helps.

JB

J

jasegould

I went to Santa pod with my mate and his R, I was running big blinging heavy 17's and he was running the standard rims...both exactly the same power. He had me off the line every time (couldve been my driving tho :lol: ) but Id just about catch him up towards the end, but never did beat him...I put it down to the wheels?? :?

Jay

K

KRS

Yes.

Wheels will make a huge diffrence off the line.

Once your rolling, acceleration will not be effected as much because of rolling momentum

But the brakes will...

J

J-GTi-R

If you get the right profile tyres for your 17's to keep the rolling diameter the same - how can it have any affect on acceleration and braking?

ooh look ... there's me old wife... I bet she has a tale to tell too
Ok smartarse, you can't actually get a 17 tyre profile that will make the rolling radius anywhere near the standard 14's or even a set of 15's with 195-50-15s on them. When I parked my car next to my brother's his 17s made my 15s look like shopping trolley wheels...

... so tell your wife to get back into the kitchen where she belongs... :lol: :lol:

Keira

16's on 40's will give you just the same radius as standard but then you have the problem of rubber band tyres and sh!tty english roads.

JIMMYBACK

kyepan said:
size isn't really the issue, its the unsprung weight of the car. thats the weight of the wheel, hub,brakes etc, essentially everything after the suspension, .

If the unsprung weight is heavier it will affect the following

acceleration - more mass to rotate, so more energy needed to rotate it.
braking - more mass rotating, more energy needed to slow it down.
turning the wheel - like spinning top/gyroscope the less mass the easier it is to change direction
cornering - the suspension has to push a heavier mass back down onto the road, that takes more time in comparison, so the wheel is in contact with the road for less time producing more less.

in short, if you can get a 17" wheel that weighs the same or less than your 16's it will make no difference at all.

If you get some heavy as feck deep dish bling alloys, which I doubt you will, your r will do all the things our car does a little slower and more sluggishly.

i had two sets of 15"s one set of oz polaris and one set of enkei magnesium rims. 9.8 and 4.9 kilos each. when i put the enkeis on it transformed the handelling of the car in all the areas i mentioed above. so i am a bit biased towards light weight wheels.

hope this helps.

JB
thanks kyepan.................geetee please take note this man know wot hes talking about :D

A

Anonymous

also, even if a 15 and 17 had the same weight, and same rolling radius, there would be a difference in performance due to most of the weight being further away from the centre of the wheel on the 17

as well as being harder to turn, the larger wheel will have a greater gyroscopic effect making it tramline more.

the best way i can explain gyroscopic effect, is if you pick up a bike wheel by both sides of the hub/spindle, then spin it and try to tun it you can feel the wheel pulling your hand.

having said all this, i have 17's, but i can get away with telling people i need them to fit over my 6 pots. but in all truth i would probably have them any way, even if i did have standard brakes

skiddusmarkus

I think standard wheel/tyres are 195x55x14 which will have a rolling radius of approx 179cm.If you fit 205x40x17 they will have a rolling radius of approx 187cm so approx 5% greater.So 17" circumfrance has to travel further per revolution which will also slow you down if all things remain constant.

GINGA

Look at a R on 17's (monster truck) then look at a R on 15's with basically the same suspension then try telling me theres no difference in rolling radius :roll:
I've driven my R back to back with 17's and the standard 14's and can say without any doubt the smaller wheels were far nicer to drive on 8)
Then we can get onto big brakes everybody raves about them etc but have you felt the weigh of them my hi specs (325mm) weighed 11kg a side :shock: and were so much heavier than the standards, when I fitted them I noticed one thing straight away yeh the brakes were better but now the car crashed over bumps etc so much worse than before :( all that extra unsprung weight due to the extra weight from the wheels and brakes had a drastic effect on the way the car drove :(

topcat

size

my other half said.. size does matter ;-)

ohh and the wheels.. keep them the same weight and rolling diameter as the originals.. :D i thank you.

geetee

I can't believe this has run to 2 pages.

Yes a 205/40/ZR17 gives a 4.6% increase in diameter.

Yes this screws your speedo by 4.6%

Yes the car handles differently on 17's than 14's

Yes the weight of the wheels matters as it's unsprung weight.

I was just saying from my own personal experience, with no prejudice to anybody else etc...

My R with 17's that weigh less than the original 14's (with tyres attached in both cases) handles fine.

I'll just shut up now. Don't fucking ask me a thing.

skiddusmarkus

Different wheels are going to make a difference.A mate has got 17" Leagues on his and they're lighter than my 15" SuperT's(both with tyres on).Brand of tyres does too,some have thicker sidewalls and more tread so are heavier.This is probably why your experience is different to others.
I think so many people answered because you said someone elses opinion was bulls**t.

geetee

Hmm... fair point.... but actually I said it was horse shit.... :lol:

I think the point is - yes 17's will alter your handling. Particularly if you go for bling heavy wheels.

The 5% or so increase in rolling circumference will make a difference to acceleration and brakeing as there is more leverage being applied in both cases.

And on a totally sidetracked post above - yes much heavier brake kits will make your suspension much crashier. :?

But if you want to fit bling heavy wheels and heavier brake kit then get your suspension changed to deal with it. Don't just moan that it makes the car feel and handle like shit and that no-one should do it "cos it's crap man innit".

I know I shouldn't hit Submit on this because I will get another torrent of abuse - as unlike everyone else on here I don't know what I'm talking about :?

If you all know fucking everything why be on here asking questions????

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

gtiroz

Administrator
Staff member
just for the info:
to keep the factory rolling radius (285-290mm) with larger wheels - the tyres you need are:

15" - 195/50 (ideal) or 205/45
16" - 205/40 (rare size, low profile)
17" - 205/35 (very rare size, very low profile)

and just as a thought:
if someone has never experienced the 'R with anything other than 1 size (ie. 17s)
then how can that person really know how they compare to other sizes,
and therefore have a real-world basis for commenting on the attributes of the setup in comparison...
(ie. they might think they're good, but their idea of good may be far from what is possible)