1 bar = engine rebuild

mohsan

Had my car turnt up to 1 bar from Interpro (tuner) with a dastek unichip to manage it. How long is my turbo expected to last? Can the engine handle it.
I mean the mods have been carried out properly,resulting in 279bhp 271ftlb,what i would like to know is whether the car could take that without me having to go for a engine rebuild!
As i was told not long ago that i will have a engine rebuild for turning the boost up.
I thought it was quite sensible not exceeding 1 bar,but if it means a engine rebuild then thats not sensible at all

Moved to Tuning - FAST GUY

paz

Your engine is more than capable of taking 1 bar unless its shagged anyway. Things you need to watch out for are your clutch going eventually, and depending on the condition of your turbo maybe that as well.

But, the turbo is worse case scenario, loads of people on here run 1 bar on a standard tubby and don't seem to have many problems other than the standard clutch going faster than it would on standard boost.

Paz

S

SimonGTT

How long we talking with the Standard clutch? i had to uprate the clutch on me 5 within like 2 months of turning the boost up! and that was 2 months from having a brand new standard clutch fitted!!

paz

SimonGTT said:
How long we talking with the Standard clutch? i had to uprate the clutch on me 5 within like 2 months of turning the boost up! and that was 2 months from having a brand new standard clutch fitted!!
From what I can gather there's no set time as to how long the standard clutch will last. I assume its down to how you drive the car and how you control the uprated boost..... I'd imagine in general a car with a boost controller like the profec b would last longer on a standard clutch than one with a bleed valve running a constantly higher boost (i.e. can't be turned up and down) but thats just an informed guess :lol:

As you say yours went after a couple of months but a friend of mine ran 280brake for years on a standard clutch with no problems (and no, he didn't drive it like a mincer :lol: lol) ;)

Paz

A

Anonymous

the standard turbo can pump out around about 30 pound. if not more.

not too sure on how long that would hold up tho.

its worth a shot. 30 pound feels great.

B

Brett G

Mohsan, I'm doing the same on standard internals as soon as I raise the cash and when my engine/gearbox was out recently I had a new uprated clutch put in to cope with the power increase. I'm hoping the engine will be fine for a while, although I'm sure any extra stress/strain on the engine will ultimately shorten its life!! :cry:

Mr GTiR

SimonGTT said:
how long is a piece of string?

i have had my car running on 1.0 and 1.2 bar for 2 years and it took me that time to shag the clutch and blow the turbo up! But i do drive the car hard :twisted:

The turbo and clutch WILL go but how long it will take is just a matter of time and how they have been treated in the past :wink:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
For that extra piece of mind (and to make sure the engine is getting enough fuel :) ) you could uprate the std fuel pump to the Walbro GSS341.

mohsan

turbo

im sure then the turbos must go even on the standard cars!
In that case i shouldnt really be worrying.
SO ok im gona need a clutch sooner or later, organic AP OR HELIX?
Anything i can do to prevent turbo going?

mohsan

ap or helix clutch,not happy

how can one be happy with a car thats not going to last,i mean the turbo goes,that aint good!
The fact that it goes on standard cars is another thing which aint good,how much am i looking at for engine rebuild when im due,or a new turbo?
feel like selling my black beauty
I will get a turbo timer and i will keep my services up to date and regular,thanks.

O

Odin

Re: ap or helix clutch,not happy

mohsan said:
how can one be happy with a car thats not going to last,i mean the turbo goes,that aint good!
The fact that it goes on standard cars is another thing which aint good,how much am i looking at for engine rebuild when im due,or a new turbo?
I will get a turbo timer and i will keep my services up to date and regular,thanks.
If you can't afford to repair it don't mod it simple really :wink: :roll: .

If you keep it standard it will last a long time and not give you any bother
as long as you keep it serviced that is :idea: .

I'v seen pulsar's with over 100k on one engine so there not unreliable.

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Re: ap or helix clutch,not happy

mohsan said:
It's a fact of life, like any other mechanical device, a turbo will fail eventually, wether at standard boost or not. If you're realy that worried either turn the boost down or buy a car that runs more power as standard :? There's no point having a Gtir if you're not enjoying running it because you're constantly worried that it'll blow up.
I've got two potenetially major problems on my car at the moment which will lead to a rebuild if they go, but I 'm off the opinion, so what and take it drag racing :p

M

memski

My turbo lasted a whole year of daily (ab)use at 1.4bar, even held boost until the day I removed it (*wipes tear from eye). Shit loads of smoke and fuck loads of shaft play though :p 1bar is for fags anyway :D :twisted: *runs and hides.... :wink:

J

J-GTi-R

1bar is for fags anyway
PMSL :lol: :lol:

What do you mean how much will a rebuild cost when it's due? Why do you think you'll have to rebuild the engine at some point? Certainly at 1 bar if the car is set up properly and you service it regularly, the car will rust away to nothing before the engine goes. Again with the turbo, yes it will go at some point, but you're talking potentially every 100k miles or even more, so it's not like you're forking out big money every 6 months.

It sounds like some Max Plonker reader has been whispering in your ear, telling you porkies about how GTi-Rs always go wrong.

Mr GTiR

memski said:
even held boost until the day I removed it (*wipes tear from eye). s**t loads of smoke and f*** loads of shaft play though :p 1bar is for fags anyway :D :twisted:
yep mine was the same, the only reason i took the tubby off is cos it was blowing too much oil out of the exhaust but was still holding boost at 1.2 bar :p

1bar is for fags anyway - dam right Memski, i'm with you on this :twisted:

G

Grezza

Any Boost limits are for fags... :shock:

I was running my car for a year and a half with pipe off & runnung full boost. :D

I didnt know this till my engine and turbo went.

It was great fun while it lasted, now I'm £5,000 poorer :(
But I be getting my car back soon after two year spent on my drive :lol:

O

Odin

J-GTi-R said:
It sounds like some Max Plonker reader has been whispering in your ear, telling you porkies about how GTi-Rs always go wrong.
Yeah there does seem to be this myth going around that are car's are
made of chocalate :evil: , That's the trouble when you get people buying
them who can't really afford to do the mods probaly it blows up and suddenly all R are 5hit and unreliable and we get a bad name :evil: :roll: .

rob

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah there does seem to be this myth going around that are car's are
made of chocalate , That's the trouble when you get people buying
them who can't really afford to do the mods probaly it blows up and suddenly all R are 5hit and unreliable and we get a bad name .
There certainly is. Someone I know who loves GTi-Rs once asked me how many times I've rebuilt the gearbox, but when I said never and I'm not having any problems with it, they looked shocked. They do own a 106 GTi and read Max Poofta though... :roll: :roll: