will using 17" wheels damage the gearbox

gtirmouse

i think whoever told u that is talking bollox! and obviously doesnt know anything about how mechanical parts work, i worked for a british touring car team they use 17s and use a lsd g box no probs there - and its all the same principles :roll:

kyepan

yer but the 17" wheels your touring car team uses are probably billet aluminum or magnesium.. and weigh about 5kgs.. that not very much. plus you will probably do a couple of hundred miles in the car before it is rebuilt or stripped etc.. it would be dangerous to compare a touring car and an H reg 13 year old road car.

all these deep dish pretty boy alloys weigh like 10-15 kilos maybe more, and thats without the tyre.. (superlegeras, ssr, etc excepted )

When a wheel is spinning at god knows what rpm, it will have enertia (weight) proportional to its mass and velocity, triple the mass and you triple the enertia..

I once worked it out on a piece of paper, and it was somthing like an extra 2000n of mass you have to stop for an extra five kilos of weight on each wheel. all that mass is going through your transmission.

www.wheelweights.net

gtir303

dont want to cause a fight but some of us have to run 17" wheels cause of the size of the brakes i have , i was trashing boxes when i had 15" wheels iand i dont always drive like a c**t either before anyone sez anything

A

Anonymous

You talk to 16 year olds on the internet in the early hours of the morning eh ? :lol:

GINGA

I do drive like a cnut with extremely heavy wheels 17" and haven't had any gearbox related problems yet (finds wood) the gearbox is more likely to die from a bad gearchange or dodgy clutch than 17" wheels

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GINGA said:
I do drive like a cnut with extremely heavy wheels 17" and haven't had any gearbox related problems yet (finds wood) the gearbox is more likely to die from a bad gearchange or dodgy clutch than 17" wheels

A little luck, mileage and maintenance come into it too...

Remember, I was driving along at 90mph in 5th gear, put my foot down, hit about 110/120mph then all of a suddden I stripped the teeth of the 5th gear cog... Just had it mapped to 1.4bar 4 days prior...

Rishi

gtirmouse

yer but the 17" wheels your touring car team uses are probably billet aluminum or magnesium.. and weigh about 5kgs
yer u would think so wouldnt u but have just weighed a wheel (without tyre) and it weighs 13 kilos - o.z racing, race equivelent of super t's single nut fitment.

oh and they are just cast aluminium, not billet or magnesium (rules say ur not allowed to & all cars must run the same wheels)

A

Anonymous

A YEAR AND A HALF ON 17s AND PUSHING 365 PONIES AND NO PROBS WITH THE GEARBOX BUT THATS NOT TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE CLUTCH"