will using 17" wheels damage the gearbox

JIMMYBACK

ive just been told using 17" wheels on my pulsar will damage the gearbox? is this true are am i just being fed crap :D

C

Cashpoint

yes and no larger wheels will put more strain on the gear box so a box on the way out will fail quicker in the same way as increasing the boost on a turbo will decrease it's life. My old R's box fail 8 month after going from std 14 to 17" Kahns' but my R had 145000 miles on the clock when the 17 went on and had been running 1bar for at least 3 years.

GINGA

Another old wifes tale i'm afraid :roll: loads of people run 17's and even 18's without any problems :wink: just put what wheels you want on it and stop worrying about the gearbox it ain't anywhere near as bad as its made out to be.

Shaun

GINGA said:
Another old wifes tale i'm afraid :roll: loads of people run 17's and even 18's without any problems :wink: just put what wheels you want on it and stop worrying about the gearbox it ain't anywhere near as bad as its made out to be.
:D Well said mate :!: About time someone cut through sumo the bull :!:

ashills

think its down to people treating them like dickheads that killed quite a few, if u launch it like a rally car its gonna break
and u never know what life teh cars had in japan so that could explain alot of teh failures

J

jasegould

ive just been told using 17" wheels on my pulsar will fcuk up the gearbox?
Get a big stik and twat whoever said that :roll:

True there may be an incy wincy poncy little bit more stress on the box but nothing as much as raising the boost to one bar etc

A

Anonymous

Get a big stik and t**t whoever said that
It was the majority of people on this site 6 months ago :( if you search for it.
I agree running 17's shoudlnt cause any real problems

personally i run 15' compomotives :D to match the rally look.[/quote]

Mr GTiR

i was the same thing when i got my R.

2 1/2 year later the box and wheel bearings are fine (touch wood). Like someone said you don't know how the car has benn treated while in Japan, etc.

Just stick the 17" on. If it was going to break it would have done it by now.

My car was running 300bhp and i don't take it easy in mine :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The biggest problem you'll get with bigger wheels is if they're the wrong offset or alot bigger overall daimmetre with tyres than normal.
Those could cause rubbing problems, extra leverage on the wheel bearings which will reduce their life and the speedo will be out abit.
Unless you have massive grip over standard and launch it every time, your gearbox shouldn't have a problem. (At least no more problems that normal :p )

A

antilag

its not really size that matters more the weight factor but ginga has standard box ap clutch and the heavyest 17's out there and he has no problems

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I've had 17's on my car for 2 1/2 years with no problems.... However it lasted 4 days when running 1.4bar... Managed to strip 5th gear... :cry:

Getting the Quaiffe Box now...

J

J-GTi-R

Bad driving will break the box much quicker than any set of 17s.

A while back people were saying the stress of 17s will bugger the box, but they also said the standard pistons or turbo couldn't take more than 1 bar (Memski has nicely completely disproven that).

The key thing with the 'R is that if you abuse it, you will break it. Build it right and treat it right, and it'll take lots more than some people will have you think.

J

jasegould

It all to do with leverage :wink: The larger the wheel the more leverage acting against the box...I think

jameswrx2

I'd say any clutch would give up in gear far quicker than the box.

If you think about it, say you're running 17's and a lightly modded R 1 bar boost etc...

you're in gear WOT coming on peak boost, surely this is where the 'strain' would take place?. If so, do you seriously think the gearbox is just gonna self destruct because you're running 17's?, I'd say the clutch is more likely gonna slip waaaaay before you're in gear and manage to blow a box apart.

What physically are we talking about braking?, I presume stripping of the teeth?, if so I still reckon you've got more chance of a clutch letting go first.

In my opinion you gotta have serious power to strip gears.

I wouldn't be suprised if it started with someone with a tired box (few graunchy racing down changes in it's life) which had worn down teeth, then they stuck 17's on it and finished it off. Thats my guess.