Wideband Sensor / Kit

youngsyp

jpward said:
De-Cats too far down wind to be of any real use, you want it as close to the turbo as you can get away with considering the heat of the turbo but, front pipe is were you should fit the bung (AEM Kit comes with the correct bung needed) and remember it needs to cant at a shallow angle.
You're getting confused with the EGT sensor. ;-)

A good location for the wideband O2 sensor to go is just before the cat/decat pipe. Although, anywhere between the turbo and cat/decat will be OK, the sensor needs to be at least 16" from the turbo or, the excess heat will damage it.

The position of the sensor in the exhaust pipe should be between 10 and 12 oclock too.

If you can't be arsed to permanently mount the sensor, you could even temporarily mount it on an exhaust clamp and still get accurate readings on a non catalyst equipped car. The gas mix will still be exactly the same along the whole of the exhaust pipe !

You need to be aware that a wideband sensor has to be powered when the car is running so, it will have to run all the time. If it isn't, it will be damaged by the hot exhaust gas.

Paul

olliecast

youngsyp said:

A good location for the wideband O2 sensor to go is just before the cat/decat pipe. Although, anywhere between the turbo and cat/decat will be OK, the sensor needs to be at least 16" from the turbo or, the excess heat will damage it.

The position of the sensor in the exhaust pipe should be between 10 and 12 oclock too.

If you can't be arsed to permanently mount the sensor, you could even temporarily mount it on an exhaust clamp and still get accurate readings on a non catalyst equipped car. The gas mix will still be exactly the same along the whole of the exhaust pipe !

You need to be aware that a wideband sensor has to be powered when the car is running so, it will have to run all the time. If it isn't, it will be damaged by the hot exhaust gas.

Paul
spot on mate, i`m thinknig of welding it onto my decat pipe due to it clamping on via flanges on mine (i.e. can just remove this section), surely mounting it on this will not cause a problem?

now i need an egt sensor aswell!

J

jpward

youngsyp said:

Paul
:der: No paul Dont think I was there!

You also talking out of your **** the gas mix is NOT the same for the entire exhaust length and hence why "Dyno Sniffer" boxes as i call them have a long pipe that run deep into the exhaust as the closer to the tail pipe you get a more diluted mixture due to pulse reversions!

You therefore always want to get the Wideband as close the the exhaust port as you can but for sensor life this needs to be downstream enough so that enough heat has disapated usually around 36" on a turbo engine (Remember thats from the valve all the way through manifold and turbo too) and hence why nissan decided to place the o2 sensor in the turbo elbow and not closer to the cat! Again the angle recomended for instalation is roughly 10 degrees of the horizontal with connection end higher but this is mainly due to cold start issues.

AEM recomend NOT to fit UEGO after Cat as this will display inaccurate readings! (This obviously includes the tail pipe)

;-)

GTIR-LOZ

but for arguments sake the downpipe will be fine as long as its before the cat, i have ordered the uego for 139 del and the connector for the emanage ultimate should be fun lol

youngsyp

jpward said:
:der: No paul Dont think I was there!

You also talking out of your **** the gas mix is NOT the same for the entire exhaust length and hence why "Dyno Sniffer" boxes as i call them have a long pipe that run deep into the exhaust as the closer to the tail pipe you get a more diluted mixture due to pulse reversions!

You therefore always want to get the Wideband as close the the exhaust port as you can but for sensor life this needs to be downstream enough so that enough heat has disapated usually around 36" on a turbo engine (Remember thats from the valve all the way through manifold and turbo too) and hence why nissan decided to place the o2 sensor in the turbo elbow and not closer to the cat! Again the angle recomended for instalation is roughly 10 degrees of the horizontal with connection end higher but this is mainly due to cold start issues.

AEM recomend NOT to fit UEGO after Cat as this will display inaccurate readings! (This obviously includes the tail pipe)
:lol: Well I'll go and cut some holes in my 'A' pillars, to lighten the car on your recommendation then ! :roll:

You may want to have a look at Innovative Motorsport and Zeitronix recommendations and reassess your recommendations. ;-)

By your own omission, it should be around 36" from the exhaust port.... That's 3 feet/90cm's.... a long way from the turbo ! Not that I've heard that before.

Narrowband sensors are designed differently and so are hardier than wideband sensors, hence why they can be placed closer to the turbo. They also worked in a very different way.

And you also failed to mention that due to the pressures the turbo makes on the exhaust gas, placing the sensor too close will give spurious readings...

And why would the sensor need to be mounted at 10 degrees to the horitontal ?! There is no specific angle that it needs to be mounted at. The recommendation of between 10 and 12 oclock is simply to keep it away from any condensation build up. As long as the sensor is perpendicular to the exhaust flow, it will have no problems in measuring the gas content.

All this simple information can be found using Google.

Paul

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
:lol: Well I'll go and cut some holes in my 'A' pillars, to lighten the car on your recommendation then ! :roll:

You may want to have a look at Innovative Motorsport and Zeitronix recommendations and reassess your recommendations. ;-)

By your own omission, it should be around 36" from the exhaust port.... That's 3 feet/90cm's.... a long way from the turbo ! Not that I've heard that before.

Narrowband sensors are designed differently and so are hardier than wideband sensors, hence why they can be placed closer to the turbo. They also worked in a very different way.

And you also failed to mention that due to the pressures the turbo makes on the exhaust gas, placing the sensor too close will give spurious readings...

And why would the sensor need to be mounted at 10 degrees to the horitontal ?! There is no specific angle that it needs to be mounted at. The recommendation of between 10 and 12 oclock is simply to keep it away from any condensation build up. As long as the sensor is perpendicular to the exhaust flow, it will have no problems in measuring the gas content.

All this simple information can be found using Google.

Paul
Maybe you should have tried reading it then dumb ass (and not something some boyracer wrote) :lol:

1 its 36" from exhaust valve not turbo and angle is set so condensation does not form between sensor outer head and inner during starting and thus taking longer for the unit to warm up and give accurite readings :doh:

2 When too close to the turbo you will get problems from over heating before you will from pressure differentation.

All my research is via AEM, Dynojet or Alamo Autosports

If you say they have got it wrong then fair enough :p

youngsyp

jpward said:
Maybe you should have tried reading it then dumb ass (and not something some boyracer wrote) :lol:
:lol: Dumb ass ?! Good one ! :doh:

jpward said:
1 its 36" from exhaust valve not turbo and angle is set so condensation does not form between sensor outer head and inner during starting and thus taking longer for the unit to warm up and give accurite readings :doh:
Do you even understand how a wideband lambda probe is constructed ? :roll: All modern wideband sensors have inbuilt heaters. That's why they need to be powered whenever the engine is running !
The condensation most probably short the sensor out, more than anything else.

jpward said:
2 When too close to the turbo you will get problems from over heating before you will from pressure differentation.
No it won't. Only at temps exceeding 800 degrees C or so will the sensor start to fail. That would be at sustained WOT runs.
It will give erroneous readings, on part throttle, from the turbulence caused by the turbo before then.

jpward said:
All my research is via AEM, Dynojet or Alamo Autosports

If you say they have got it wrong then fair enough :p
You might want to add reading to your list too. Taken from the Dynojet website:

"Turbocharged vehicles have rather high exhaust
gas temperatures and pressures. In these applications,
it is best to install the weld boss in the
down pipe as far away from the exhaust turbine
as possible. Never install the sensor in the
exhaust manifold between the cylinder head and
the turbo."

:roll: Another post to add to your golden quotes list ! :lol:

Paul

J

jpward

youngsyp said:
Do you even understand how a wideband lambda probe is constructed ? Taken from the Dynojet website:

"Turbocharged vehicles have rather high exhaust
gas temperatures and pressures. In these applications,
it is best to install the weld boss in the
down pipe as far away from the exhaust turbine
as possible. Never install the sensor in the
exhaust manifold between the cylinder head and
the turbo."

Paul
yada yada Paul Try printing the whole Dynojet page including the part about mounting sensor at 10o and that mounting the sensor in any other position could lead to shorter sensor life as water/liquid will damage the sensor :lol:

and to answer your question yes i do know how a sensor is manufactored and its components.

Your such a looser why do assume you know better than everyone else including the people producing the wideband units :lol:

Stop spaming this guys thread he's ordered the part he was after and is probably going to install it just like AEM recomends and not the fool harted way you "Think" it should be done.

:amen:

steve963

mine is installed in decat pipe (for ease of fittment and instruction say 3foot away from turbo), and pointing slightly upwards to stop water running into it (as per instructions!), seems to work fine, used to read 14.7 or abouts on tickover, as the closed loop system 'hunted', now it seems to run 16 or above at tickover, im wondering if my rich fueling (over 10) has clogged gauge.
other than this seems to work fine at part or full throttle...

olliecast

well i`ve ended up getting the innovate kit now as the other guy couldn` t get back to us. ordered it and he`s interested in doing some kits via a group buy for us. he`s offering some resonable discounts to.
i`ve asked if he could give us some prices for egt kits (probes and gauges) to so i`ll have to see what everyone thinks.....POST YOUR THOUGHTS AND WE CAN GO AHEAD IF POSITIVE

in reply to these last few comments, my wideband probe is going in my decat pipe. Its away from the hot gasflow and before the cat (as there isn`t one), so i can`t see any other benefits to having it further toward the turbo.

my egt i think will be a different story. the heat of the gas is going to cool as is gets transferred into the exaust down pipe material so the nearer i can egt it to the ignition source the better, its just which pot to go for is the question. which is the pot furthers away from the inlet side of the fuel rail?

J

jpward

olliecast said:
well i`ve ended up getting the innovate kit now as the other guy couldn` t get back to us. ordered it and he`s interested in doing some kits via a group buy for us. he`s offering some resonable discounts to.
i`ve asked if he could give us some prices for egt kits (probes and gauges) to so i`ll have to see what everyone thinks.....POST YOUR THOUGHTS AND WE CAN GO AHEAD IF POSITIVE

in reply to these last few comments, my wideband probe is going in my decat pipe. Its away from the hot gasflow and before the cat (as there isn`t one), so i can`t see any other benefits to having it further toward the turbo.

my egt i think will be a different story. the heat of the gas is going to cool as is gets transferred into the exaust down pipe material so the nearer i can egt it to the ignition source the better, its just which pot to go for is the question. which is the pot furthers away from the inlet side of the fuel rail?
Pot 1 someone wrote up before and i think there are pics some were of a manifold with the Probe and bung on the Header position 1 ;-)

youngsyp

jpward said:
yada yada Paul Try printing the whole Dynojet page including the part about mounting sensor at 10o and that mounting the sensor in any other position could lead to shorter sensor life as water/liquid will damage the sensor :lol:

and to answer your question yes i do know how a sensor is manufactored and its components.

Your such a looser why do assume you know better than everyone else including the people producing the wideband units :lol:

Stop spaming this guys thread he's ordered the part he was after and is probably going to install it just like AEM recomends and not the fool harted way you "Think" it should be done.

:amen:
I give up. It's completely pointless trying to communicate with you.
The section I printed was from a company you mentioned. As it looks like you're too ignorant to see why I did that, I'll spell it out for you... It was to show that you were again, talking rubbish and that they state you can mount the sensor anywhere in the exhaust run.
I have no issue acknowledging the rest of the section as a recommendation from Dynojet but, nothing more than that. And you clearly missed (is there a pattern forming) that they state 10 degrees as a minimum. Mounting the sensor at anywhere between the 10 and 2 oclock position seems to be the norm, depending on space around the pipe.

And, again you seem not to have noticed but, the two companies I mentioned originally i.e. Innovate Motorsport and Zietronix both produce wideband controllers and have done for many years. They also have a very good reputation in the tuning world.

So, that's 3 expert companies that actually make the products that we're discussing, that say the same thing and all you can come up with is AEM and one of their retailers i.e. Alamo Autosports ????!!!!
You might want to look at Bosch's website, they actually make the sensors all these companies use. ;-)
Here's some more reading for you:

http://wbo2.com/lsu/position.htm
http://www.performancetrends.com/wide_band_uego.htm

I've already stated that all this info was found through google. Again it would seem you missed that and that I've not once claimed to know anything about wideband sensors and their mounting locations.
I am able to find information though and have the intelligence to understand it once read. Unlike you it would seem ?!
And I've actually named the places where I got the information from so, people can go and sheck it out for themselves

There's no spam in my comments. It's all fact as anyone can see for themselves.

And you still insist on personal insults (the last of which, you didn't even spell correctly :doh: ). However, all they are at best, is very ironic, coming from the person who's making them.....

To cap this post off, I don't care if anyone listens/reads and takes in what I put up. I do it to help them out, not myself. That's what this forum is for I thought ?!
The only thing I would say to do is do some reading yourselves. The answers are out there and very easy to find.

Oh, and I'll remind people again that JPWard was the one who was adamant that cutting holes in structural parts of the car was a good idea ! ;-) :lol:

Paul

Last edited:

youngsyp

Animaldaz said:
There is only one way to solve this dispute

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
:roll: Another one who thinks this is a school playground or the stone age!

We're not 12 anymore bud. Plus a stretch inside and a criminal record would make my life difficult.

Paul

Last edited:

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
:roll: Another one who thinks this is a school playground or the stone age!

We're not 12 anymore bud. Plus a stretch inside and a criminal record would make my life difficult.

Paul

He was meaning a fight on Street Fighter 2 Turbo edition!

Geez Paul get with the times! :roll: :lol:

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
He was meaning a fight on Street Fighter 2 Turbo edition!

Geez Paul get with the times! :roll: :lol:
Street Fighter has never been my kind of game.
If JP has an Xbox 360, we can have a couple of goes on COD4 instead !

Better still, I say we race for 'slips' instead..... :lol:

Paul