White smoke (after fitting new turbo)

GTIR1000

Just fitted new turbo on my mates car and now on idle plooms of white smoke come out the exhaust amd when revved, and it seems the coolant system has a block in as only one pipe is getting hot temp on the engine is fine though. Also steam/smoke is coming from round the manifold and turbo. Now could the cooling system blockage be the cause of this or have i got the turbo hoses mixed up some how. I have a water pipe come from the front of the turbo around to the right of the engine another water pipe from back of turbo to block and an oil pipe from top of turbo to block, we changed them to braided hoses which seem also to be very long in comparison to the originals. He is also getting fault code 34 now

any suggestions would be great

lakeview

you sure everything is tightened up ok?can smoke when you swap turbo's over until all the oil grease ect has burnt off it.

rob

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would have thought that white smoke indicated you were getting water into the exhaust; I'd be checking that you haven't got a couple of the pipes swapped around.
Hopefully no harm done, but you might find the oil is now mayonnaise and needs to be changed. - That might be worth checking.

GTIR1000

which pipes could be wrong though i have the front water pipe ging to the right hand side of the engine and the back water pipe going to the block im sure thats right and oil seems fine. Does anyone have a pic or diagram of where the turbo pipes go just so im absolutely sure

GTIR1000

yeh they seem on all right so what could it be im stumped, could it be to do with the coolant blockage

Last edited:

lakeview

did you do it in a garage or outside?i changed my manifold last week well tried to when it wasnt raining everything got so wet it was steaming all the way to work on monday

rob

lakeview

depends how heavy the rain was.loads of it got into the downpipe of mine when it was off.why did you have to replace the turbo in the 1st place

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What was wrong with the car before? How long has it stood?

Check the thermostat is working, that can cause just one hot hose and also how sure are you it's a good turbo you've fitted?

GTIR1000

the reason for replacement was that the seals had gone on the other turbo, this one is a fresh rebuild. The car had stood for along time but its not condensation as the smoke lingers

PulsarLee

why would the thermostat cause it to smoke. We replaced the turbo cause the seals had gone

I would deffinately take the thermostat out and run the car for 5 mins. especially if the water dosent appear to be circulating. also if the car has been stood, it is common for a stat to stick closed. For the sake of a 2 min check, could save you a whole lot of shit. Its all about a process of elimination, starting with the easy things first.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
why would the thermostat cause it to smoke. We replaced the turbo cause the seals had gone
It wouldn't. You said you had one hot and one cold hose. It could cause that if it isn't working. Possibly you didn't give it chance to get up to temperature before you felt them.