Which Stroker Kit

D

dpmc21

Hi guys,
Am gona rebuild my engine over the winter and I'm tempted to use a stoker kit, so I thought I'd get some opinions on them from u lot.
1. Do you think its worth while using one.
2. Which one of the available kits (Jun, Tomei, HKS, JWT) do you think will be the best (reliability, price, performance)
Thanks for any help.

Dom

www.justinks.co.uk

O

Odin

Talk to peter robinson he can get you a good deal on stroker's :wink:

rob

D

dpmc21

Thanks Rob, but, who's peter robinson? I've only just started using the forum so I don't really know anyone on here.

Dom

Nad

No I dont think its worth it. Just stick to a normal crank and 350-380bhp on a standard sized turbo. Will save u so much money in the long run.

Nad

D

dpmc21

I can see where your coming from Nad, but I have a big turbo setup already (TD-06 + external wastegate) and I am building the car to do some proper quarter mile times (some may ask why I know, well because I want a 10sec GTi-R mainly, so why not!) I know its gona cost alot but the brakes and suspension etc have already been sorted, got a quaiffe box to go in it, OS Gikken twin plate's already in there, so I need to get the internals sorted and a good ecu to get me a bit closer to my goal (I'm thinking motec personaly).

Dom

E

Edd

I wouldn't bother with the stroker kit :roll:

save your money........

also have you decided what you want from the car and how your going to drive the car.......

I think (well i hope) that the stroker kit will only really come into its own when you strap a huge turbo on and run 2 bar :roll: :oops: :lol:

stick 2.0 and rev the t*ts off it :twisted:

O

Odin

Good man I have a motec m48 pro 8) :wink: and a quaife and 4 pot Ap's.......

I think you will plenty of power to get into the 10's, I'll be happy with mid 11's myself :D .

rob

E

Edd

Ok i didn't read ur post as it took me 10 mins to write that one whilst doing work :p

i'd still stick 2 litre though really, and use the big turbo and rev it high with high lift cams.

I think you need to do a lot of work to get the stroker to work

im still running standard turbo and 0-70 the car is unreal :shock: (running 0.9 bar) but once into 3rd and 4th its sh*t as it doesnt want to rev over 5.5k :cry:

but big turbo is the way ofr the stroker but to get most gains you'll need extensive headwork

D

dpmc21

m48 pro is the one I've looking at rob, its a proper piece of kit!! :lol:

What u say Edd is what I have heard from a few people, hence why I wan't to sure about them, however I don't know how well the bottom end will hold up (am sure someone will know) at the sort of power I think I'll need to get my times. The other dilema I have is that at the moment I have a perfectly even compression ratio across all 4 cylinders and Steve (thats steve ferguson some of u might know him, he's the guy who'll be building my car) reckons I won't get that again once its been bored out, don't know what difference it will make tbh.

Dom

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
2.2 is the way to go if you're strapping on a huge turbo and building an all out drag car...

Me personally, I'm sticking with a 2.0 with a T3.5 tubby for some good drag runs but also decent track use......

Rishi

E

Edd

Unless your prepared to thrwo 10k at the engine alone then don't bother as i am finding out the stroker kit is a good piece of kit but it needs a lot of other components and custom development to make the most of it

the thing just needs so much f*cking air it's not funny :shock: :lol:

i''m maxing out the std maf and injectors running less than 0.9 bar :oops:

D

dpmc21

well thats given me somethinking to dwell on I guess. Thing is which ever way I go I plan to do it properly, head work etc. I've spent probably like most countless hours translating jap pages to c wot they have done and reading up on other peoples specs and not many seem to do much to the head etc, is there any particular reasoning behind this or is it just a cost versus gain thing?

Dom

JU5TY

dpmc21, what are you doing to your head which not many others have done?

Edd what do you plan to do now to get the most out of your 2.2?

E

Edd

Half the problem with the stroker i think is people just fit hks 264 cams and don't do any proper headwork :roll:

next year if i can afford to i will be redoing the head on mine to shift some serious air, spec is a secret but won't be too hard to guess what it consists of, but i'm looking at about £3-4k just on the head if i go down that route :shock:

O

Odin

Head work isn't as important on a boosted motor as the air's getting forced in anyway, But I do plan to get my spare head ported a little and get the ports and valves coated against the heat build up :wink:

rob

E

Edd

Headwork is very imoprtant on a stroker kit as you need to get out all the air it demands :wink:

D

dpmc21

ju5ty, I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing different and am not saying that it will be, but its just when u read most specs most people tend to just put a set of cams in them and thats about it. I'm not a technical guru so I could be wrong by miles or just misunderstanding what I have read and heard, but as far as I know there is a hell of a lot out there in terms of parts for the gti-r head and as with any car (maybe less so on a blown one) decent gains can be had by concentrating some time and effort on that part of the engine, alot of people may have already done this, I just haven't seen it listed thats all.

3-4K on the head is similar to what I have expected I might need to spend on it alone, and I'm just trying to decide wether the power gains I'll get will justify it in the long run.

Dom

E

Edd

JU5TY said:
Edd what do you plan to do now to get the most out of your 2.2?
It kind of depends really, the head restricts the stroker as it can't get the air out quick enough.
Going down the lines or oversized valves, high lift cams, headwork and manifold work to get the gasses out as quick as possible, fully rebuilt head, valve springs, rocket stopper.
Basically enough so can rev to 8500 and get the air out quick.

IT depends how laggy the 3037 is really and also whether i ditch it for a biger turbo

Nad

U will find not many ppl touch the heads as they are very well designed as it is. U wont be able to fit a much bigger valve in there as it is. U can play with the throats and get rid of some of the casting marks. Smaller valves increase velocity though. Too big a valve and the air just hangs around. As usual everything needs to be matched to each other and one aim otherwise compromises have to be made.

Nad