whats peoples opinions

Thinking of buying this. It looks very tidy, I've never had a pulsar before so thought i would ask if anyone knows about this

nissan pulsar 20l gtir 4x4 | United Kingdom | Gumtree

it said it had an engine rebuild and new turbo 1500 miles ago, messaged the owner and he said the following

"New piston rings, seals, big main end bearings replaced, crank reground, all parts that shown sign of wear were replaced, new turbo, new coil plugs and dizzy, new alternator."

Bit worried about buying a car that only had engine rebuild 1500 miles ago....

whats peoples thoughts, if any one knows its history please say as if all good would like to buy this week.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Ask for receipts as to who did the work? And I would ask for pictures of the problem rust areas, where it was bought from etc...you never know it might be an honest car.

he said he's got receipts for rebuild, turbo is out of warranty though but not worried about that, turbos are cheap enough to get hold of but an engine isn't.

Dangerous Dave

The engine should be ok by now, but if I was you I would treat it as tho it's a fresh rebuild simply because you don't know how it's been run in.

Got a picture of the receipt and rust, I've attached the two pictures so you can see. I think if thats the only thing wrong with it then its go...

Dangerous Dave

Hand written invoice only number 24 looks above board to me?!?

I don't want to put you off mate but that invoice does look shit! Best thing you can do is go look at it drive it am see what it's like, look at the arches make sure it doesn't smoke rattle ect... Hold the car at 3kish when warm an listen very hard to see if you can hear any knocks.

Did he do the rebuild or was it a company?? I rang up the company on my engine rebuild invoice I got with mine (dated 2008 ) and they confirmed it was legit after a day of the accountant hunting for their copy! As Doc says, it could be an honest car!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't that an odd spot to have rust? - I don't think mine is rusting there, but my arches are pretty shot.

Thanks for your input guys, Yer i did ask him about receipt for rebuild but waiting on it.

this is the turbo clinic website that did the turbo. Really trying to make sure I'm 100% before travelling 205 miles to collect it.

dynamiclogin

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'd get some good close up shots of the rust on the arches before you go anywhere.

It looks like it's kept in a garage which is a good thing.

If you get any more photos, upload them here so we can see and advise whether to view or walk away.

Empty Pockets

My only advice would be, if in doubt, hold out. We've all been guilty of buying the first pretty one we see, doesn't normally go too well.

Have you enquired about importing one, would probably have to save an extra grand or two, but would probably be 10 times better than anything that's been over here a while, i think nows the time that paying a bit extra for a genuinely clean, un repaired one will pay off, if you can keep it tip top for a few years you'd probably make a few uid on it when you'd had enough.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's the door poobody....
I was talking about the rust half way up the A-pillar that looks like the metal has split. - I've had both my doors off in the last year and didn't see any corrosion there; that's why I was asking if it wasn't an odd spot to rust.

Dangerous Dave

I was talking about the rust half way up the A-pillar that looks like the metal has split. - I've had both my doors off in the last year and didn't see any corrosion there; that's why I was asking if it wasn't an odd spot to rust.

I see, I thought you was been simple.... It could be a shit photo I know I'm no good at taking photos.

BMCC

The rust is on a seam between two bits of metal so it's a place that can rust as it will be a weak point. There are a few of those points on the car, rear just below the lights is another one. Common/uncommon I couldn't say but it is a weak point so it's not unsurprising.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Fair enough. - I had a look at mine, and can see the seam (but no obvious corrosion).

shroom

Yep I have seen it too on a few GTiRs its probably the best bit on your car then George haha