What is the best Exhaust for a GTI-R???

pete-r

ive never actually driven a car with the mongoose,but i really love my 5zigen.the differences in power gain are not enough to take into consideration,so i look at build quality and looks.my 5zigen has been on the car since it came from japan,at least 3 years ago and there is not one bit of rust on it,its not even tarnished,which is more than can be said for my hks downpipe,4 months and its rusting like its been at the bottom of the sea :wink: .it also looks very japanese,style wise,and also you dont see many about.the down side is the initial outlay for one,they are pretty expensive from japan,new.

pete.

S

Spikey

pete-r said:
ive never actually driven a car with the mongoose,but i really love my 5zigen.the differences in power gain are not enough to take into consideration,so i look at build quality and looks.my 5zigen has been on the car since it came from japan,at least 3 years ago and there is not one bit of rust on it,its not even tarnished,which is more than can be said for my hks downpipe,4 months and its rusting like its been at the bottom of the sea :wink: .it also looks very japanese,style wise,and also you dont see many about.the down side is the initial outlay for one,they are pretty expensive from japan,new.

pete.
mongoose are stainless too! they shouldnt rust :?

pete-r

my hks is stainlees aswell mate,well its supposed to be,but 4 months later...as for the mongoose,youd need to speak to people who have them.i have spoken to some owners who werent impressed with rust that was starting to appear :? but they also come very highly rated.i think its 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other,but id pay the extra and go for 5zigen :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

too pissed to go into details but htere' s a fair difference between an oe exhaust and a mongoose and same again when you go up to 3". downside of the 3" is the noise if that kinda thing bothers you, and it limits trackday use :(

Pardon for hijacking the thread.
Just want to ask what's your opinion on responsive performance especially low and and midrange if say i was to run a complete straight flow exhaust system all the way. Say run 2 inch tube with NO muffler....
I know it's illegal from where u guys are but what do u think in term of streetable performance?

Dooie Pop Pop

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Pardon for hijacking the thread.
Just want to ask what's your opinion on responsive performance especially low and and midrange if say i was to run a complete straight flow exhaust system all the way. Say run 2 inch tube with NO muffler....
I know it's illegal from where u guys are but what do u think in term of streetable performance?
as far as turbo' d cars go id have thought a 3inch scaffold pipe' d be just right :wink: 2 inch' d be to restrictive :wink:

MarkTurbo

Spikey said:
mongoose are stainless too! they shouldnt rust :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The flanges rust and the quality of the welding isnt up to much :wink: But saying that i've still got one and they are a pretty good exhaust for the money.

nigeblueflame has a couple of 'gooses on ebay atm - click here - ending in a few mins - grab a bargain. For anyone who doesn't know (newbs) blueflame & mongoose are the same system.

There is also this one with a buy it now option for 310 quid.

I got my goose from this guy, but I only paid 250 ;) He must have put his prices up.

GTIR1000

i have a hks competion one on mine sounds different to anything i have heard not seen it anywhere though for sale it isnt the supper dragger one either. its got a metal plack on the fron section and back saying hks competion it has a 4 inch tail with no back box not as loud as the goose though

L

leeboy

Mine is a hyper medalion?, i think, all stainless, apart from the hks rusty as crap front pipe. The hks front pipe did make a difference when i put it on as well as the decat. The hyper is a jasma noise one from japan is not that quiet though. It sounds similar to the scorpion. Price wise i dont know it came with the car. Dont go to one of these stainless exhaust places who will make one up for you, pile of crap.

J

Jonny_gti-r

Anyone got a Magnex exhaust???????

Had one on my last car and was very pleased with it. Not too loud on tick over but nice n meaty roar when you give it some!!!!!

Not sure what exhaust to put on my R cos i leave for work at 6am every morning and the neighbours might not be too happy if i get a goose and wake em all at that time everyday!!!!!!

I had a full system Magnex on a Rover 220 Turbo a couple of years ago. Sounded the mutts when you pressed the loud pedal, but was quite sedate round town.

T

Trev-R

Had a goose on my R for over a year now. A bit puzzled about the rust thing though, as i've got nowt. :? If after time it does, i'd get another their great! :D

B

blugtirboy

i've had a kakimoto racing cat back for a couple of years now ,nice sound not loud on idle,not to bad under load either :D

youngsyp

Get down to Hayward and Scott in Essex. They're hand build you one, including a new, much better flowing elbow. It will last longer than the car and I'm 200% you'll be knocked out by the performance increase. Only problem is, it costs about 2 1/2 times as much as the Mongoose. However, you'll never have to change, no matter what mods you do, as it will flow enough gas for any mods and it really will last forever ! Mines been on for about 2 years and looks like it was put on yesterday !!

Cheers

Paul

A

Anonymous

youngsyp said:
Get down to Hayward and Scott in Essex. They're hand build you one, including a new, much better flowing elbow. It will last longer than the car and I'm 200% you'll be knocked out by the performance increase. Only problem is, it costs about 2 1/2 times as much as the Mongoose. However, you'll never have to change, no matter what mods you do, as it will flow enough gas for any mods and it really will last forever ! Mines been on for about 2 years and looks like it was put on yesterday !!
now this is good advice :wink: :D