Very hard to get into gears

S

Stoned

For a long time i've had a problem which comes and goes. Basically at times it's very hard for me to get into gears, especially first and third.

This is quite random though, other times it slides into gear without any problem at all. Unfortunately the problem came back yesterday and with Trax comming up on Sunday the timing could not be worse

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be. My mechanic thought it might be the clutch release plate or something. I got him to fit a braided clutch hose not long back to fix the low pedal on the system. It's still very low mind you.

S

Stoned

No one :?

Does it help if I also point out the clutch often smells?

A

AJ4

I've got the same problem ( without the smell ). I just put it down to worn synchros / tired box. I have to put in 1st gear while I'm rolling before I stop, or its a bit of a bitch to get it in. Third gear is a bit temperamental, got to aim it just right, always goes in but takes a second longer to find. Probably doesn't help I have a B&M quickshift though... :(

stugtir

i had this problem a while back, and the reason for it was lots of slack in the gear linkage rod.

basically the bush had worn out so the gearlinkage wasnt engaging the gears properly!! :roll:

just got a second hand linkage for 40 quid that had no wear, popped it in and bobs your uncle :wink: :wink:

stu

S

Stoned

Is that a gearbox out job?

I dont have a clue as I've never had to do any work yet on the transmission.

stugtir

no its an easy job to do, its just a couple of 12mm bolts, its the rod that goes from the bottom of the gear stick to the gearbox selector,

It will take longer to get the car up on stands than it will to replace the rod :wink:

It would be a good idea to jack her up and just give it a wiggle at each end to see how much play is in the joints at either end. I had around 3-5mm of play on the gearbox end of the rod,

after i replaced it i had no trouble wotsoever :wink:

stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Stu was it the bushes at the box end that had worn out? I think Kev might be able to do these as I got some off him a while back.

S

Stoned

Right i've tried everyone who has been able to get the uprated ones in the past and no one has any spare. I need to get this sorted before Trax this Sunday so Nissan parts will have to do for now.

Which parts do I need to ensure the bushes are all changed from this diagram below they sent me?

Cheers in advance

S

Stoned

Anyone :?

PM me if you know the answer and cant reply, I really need these ASAP and Nissan parts are useless for such answers.

stugtir

basically you have a bush each end as ive pointed out, you need to check for play in these, i cant really make out the part numbers as im blind as a bat!! lol :lol:

but these are usually the culprit for the bad gear selection,

stu

stugtir

Fast Guy said:
Stu was it the bushes at the box end that had worn out? I think Kev might be able to do these as I got some off him a while back.
in my case yes it was the bushes at the gearbox end. i just replaced the whole rod with a second hand unit. but if poly bushes can be bought for it then thatwould be a good idea as it would keep the gear change feeling slick and quick :wink:

stu

S

Stoned

I see...

I cant even see rubber bushes in that pic for that bar :?

I'll give Nissan a call back and see if they can make head or tail of it. Maybe you are meant to buy a whole new link bar. It wouldnt suprise me!

Cheers for the help Stu

S

Stoned

haha yup spot on. You can only buy the bar as a whole from Nissan, plus they want £60 for it ex VAT and better yet i'm not likely to see it until the end of September

Great... Time to post and see if anyone has a spare in good nick!

stugtir

there should be loads of them kicking about mate, theres plenty of cars being broke up at the moment :wink:

i got mine off gary in the end received it the nxt day :wink:

stu

S

Stoned

nismoboy said:
Fast Guy said:
cool are these still available?
Not without a long wait

nismoboy

I guess i`ll have to order the whole rod from nissan then. Is this the part number for the rod? 34103? and it come complete with new bushes pressed in yeah? thanks

S

Stoned

Yes thats right from what I was told today. However he said there was a 3 week wait :?