Upping Boost

J

John Mc

Hello All,

I've checked in the FAQ section but couldn't find the answer :(

What is the easiest way to up the boost from standard to 1 bar? Without using a boost controller!

Thanks in Advance

John

A

Anonymous

John,
just had my boost upped to 1bar well just under to be exact. I had it done at Hiteq in Wigan. You will need a fuel pump upgrade, this stops em running weak at high revs, your old one may well have covered a few miles and may be getting tired. Second on the list is upgraded spark plugs, HKS irridium ones in my case(same price as std Nissan ones) also from hiteq. Thirdly Ian at Hiteq fitted what he describes as a manual bleed off system, how that works I dont know, although it means a change of some of the smaller boost hoses. It is then all set up, ie boost and mixtures, then test driven and away you go. Makes my HKS Blow off valve sound awesome. Do not be tempted to fit a bleed valve! These are ok for your RS turbos and cossies but not GTi-R's. Any confusion speak to Ian or John at Hiteq. Number is in the tuners section.

geetee

Had mine on a bleed valve for over a year now - seems fine.

You only need to uprate the fuel pump if yours is tired - get your fuel pressure checked.

Bear in mind that if you put a higher capacity fuel pump in - u'll probably need a fuel computer to bring the injector duty cycles down to compensate for the increased fuel pressure. Otherwise you'll be overfuelling massively.

You can also adjust the size of the restrictor jet in the boost pipe from the plenum to the wastegate actuator.... I believe it's possible just to solder up the existing hole and drill a slightly smaller one.

How ever you achieve it, it's always wise to get it setup correctly to ensure you have no detonation at the top-end.

A few hundred quid to get a decent boost controller and fuel comp setup professionally - is a whole load less expensive than detonating the hell out of your engine and having to do a full rebuild for several £000's

Having said that, mine's running just under 1 bar on a bleed valve with no fuelling changes and hasn't been setup otherwise at all and seems fine.

I'm going to fit a Greddy Profec B Spec II and get a fuel computer of some sort. Then once I've got the clutch uprated (it slips a lot now!) and uprated the brakes and fitted a bigger fuel pump, I'll up the boost a little more but get it properly setup.

My credit card is hurting already!!

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

Why don't you want to use a boost controler??? The good thing with a boost controler is you don't have to run at 1 bar all the time. I have mine set to standard boost, 0.85 and 1bar. Good for when you just want to pootle to the shops etc. Plus it looks really cool and doesn't need to cost much more than some of the other options. If you want a cheap boost controler give me a PM and I'll see what I can do. IIRC my AVCR (new type) was only around £300.

Dunc

Curtis

You could buy a bleed valve for about £20 and fit yourself.
The biggest plus for a boost controller over a bleed valve is the fact the car will run the set level eg. 1bar all year round.

A car set to 1bar on a cold day will only be running 0.8 ish when the weather improves.
But worst of all is a car set to 1bar on a warm day can be running 1.2bar when the temps cool in winter resulting in det and a blown engine!

A boost controller will adjust to the surroundings and keep the car at a constant pressure.

Having said that many people have used a bleed valve for a long time with no probs... But why risk it?

geetee

Get a decent aftermarket boost gauge.... and use it!

On the bleed valve my boost varies between 13.5 and 16psi depending on the prevailing conditions.

Bit scary really :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jasegould

Do not be tempted to fit a bleed valve! These are ok for your RS turbos and cossies but not GTi-R's.
Whys that then? Ive had a bleed on my car for about 2 years now. TBH me personally Ive never heard of anyone having problems with a properly set up bleed valve (unless you count the countless Renault 5's and RS Turbos whose owners havent got clue and run too much boost) Ive fitted a good quality boost gauge so I can keep an eye on the boost and it never goes over 1 bar. When I put my foot down it will momentarily go to 15 psi but then drop back slightly to just under that. I know elec boost controllers are better but I hear of more problems with them than with bleed valves :?

Keira

Think the problem is with them not being set up properly, my Avcr was spiking all over the place at the first :( Especially with the different front pipe was hitting 1.24 at times.

Once i bothered to adjust the duty cycle its now bang on 1.1 just like it should be 8)

J

JamesB

the thing nobody has mentioned is ebc's bring boost on earlier. All standard wastegates will creap hence letting out precious boost right thru the rev range. EBC's take full control of this by opening wastegates when desired boost is hit. Bleed valves only tak on a couple psi extra then whaty they run normally. BTW the hole size in the actuator after soldering it up is 1.2mm giving a perfect 1 bar.

geetee

I don't think the hole is in the actuator is it?

I thought you altered the restrictor jet in the pipe from the plenum (i.e. the one that plugs to the underside of the intercooler frame).

I've also heard of hole's being drilled in the actuator solenoid... presumably on the boost side. Dunno what size hole to drill.

As mentioned above though an EBC will prevent wastegate creep as it holds all the pressure from the actuator until it's time to open it - then it just pings it open. This should mean the boost comes on harder and faster.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

John Mc

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't want to use a boost controller as I'm a bit skint right now :cry: I've just spent a lot on wheels, brakes, brake lines, steering wheel, Gear knob, Gaitor, Defi D Boost Guage :wink: (MattyGTiR) etc etc. So I was looking for an inexpensive way of doing it.
I was going to get a boost controller but my wife and baby need some money to buy food :lol:
I can get hold of a boost controller for a decent price anyway but thought just restricting the flow with a soldered hole as mentioned by somebody would be much cheaper :!:

I don't know what to do now :?

I'll think long and hard before I do it. I'm getting a service done and the timing checked/ wheels aligned before I up the boost.

I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is OK as I'm really running rich.

So what is the general consesus then, as there are a lot of people with different views??

Regards

John

A

Anonymous

Geetee has got a very good point. A service is very quick and easy. A DIY job that can be done in an hour with the guide on the main page.

Dunc

A

AJ4

geetee said:
Bear in mind that if you put a higher capacity fuel pump in - u'll probably need a fuel computer to bring the injector duty cycles down to compensate for the increased fuel pressure. Otherwise you'll be overfuelling massively.
Sorry to be picky, but thats not true. If you increase the pump pressure by fitting a higher powered pump then all that will happen is the fuel pressure regulator will pass more fuel back to the tank, keeping the fuel pressure at the injectors the same as what it always was. Just incase anybody is tempted to buy an uprated fuel pump ( good idea ) but thinks they will need some kind of fuel computer to go with it ;)

My 'R had a 1.2mm hole drilled in the side of the solenoid in Japan and held exactly 1 bar day in day out for over a year with no spiking at all. At first we thought it was a 1 bar actuator until I took the solenoid off once day and saw the hole drilled in it :oops: Seemed to work quite well.

Better getting a cheap EBC, as mentioned above, goes to near full boost first before opening wastegate, makes it a bit faster.

J

John Mc

Matty :lol: I haven't heard yet, fingers crossed though :!:

Good points raised but a mate who works for Mitsubishi is doing the service so it won't cost much at all, only some parts and a beer for doing it. He has got most of the parts already at the garage he can borrow a few for me :D

I was on the lookout for a second hand Profec B for around the £100 mark but wasn't having much luck :( Maybe I need to raise my estimate??

Cheers

John

mattygti-r

yeah raise ur estimate mate, wouldnt really trust second hand stuff esp boost controllers but think ud be very lucky to get one for that money.

A

Anonymous

As I say £300 gets you a new AVRC. Cheaper items may be less but I've always used the Apexi stuff. They do come up 2nd hand but make sure you se it working (I took someones word for it once and got a dud unit) Check the buying and selling section and Rays for sale pages.

Dunc

geetee

Greddy Profec B's from the States about £185

As long as Customs don't spot them coming in of course - then u get the 17.5% extra.

Not that I could possibly endorse importing stuff and not paying the duty. :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee
8)

A

Anonymous

If you've got a house in the states you can make sure they don't spot it! :wink: :D :wink:

Dunc