Turbo upgrades??

J

jord369!

Hi guys im after upgrading my turbo(again!!) i currently have a gt2871r and have kinda got the jist that the obvious turbo is the 3071r, but i was wondering if there were any internally wastegated turbo's that could produce more power than the 3071r and still retain similar size?? i just basically want a kick ass turbo!! any ideas?? cheers

Fazz

3071 is best suited to GTI-R's for Internal Wastegate Turbo's.

There is a larger 3076R which comes in internal wastegate form but is said to need higher boost and has more lag so not as useable.
Still a nice turbo, on a par with a HKS 3037s or thereabouts. AKA capable of over 500bhp.

Realistically though, you would need an External wastegate at this level.
400-450bhp seems to be pushing the limit and is commonly done with the 3071.

Whats wrong with your 2871r ? What power are you running at what boost?

Stevepudney here went from a 2871 to a 3071 and seems happy with the improvements.

3071 copes well on retaining low lag, whislt still generating high power. seems to be the best at what it does. Above this you're into external wastegate and a bit of lag territory.

HKS GTRS should also get a mention, not sure if its as good as 3071 though, don't know enough on it. I do know Jobi Joba went from a GTRS to 3071 too though..

J

jord369!

basically i want to know if i spend the money to upgrade from current turbo am i realy going to "feel" the difference?? at the minute its running 1.4 bar and has produced 296 atw, im just craving after more power!! its very tempting to buy one of the 3071r's because i could change it in a day no problem, but theres another part of me that says do something a little more drastic??!!

Keira

Fazz said:
Realistically though, you would need an External wastegate at this level.
400-450bhp seems to be pushing the limit and is commonly done with the 3071.
why would you ?

J

jord369!

also ive had a look on the ATP site and to be honest im a little confused?? which 3071r do i get? theres one that says .86 with 90 trim and one that says .64 with 72 im lost??

Fazz

diesel weasel said:
why would you ?
I know I don't need to tell you this but.
External wastegate controls boost better at higher levels.

So to run 500bhp you're prob gonna have either:
A - a big turbo that doesn't come in internal wastegate form or
B - be running high boost on an internally wastegated turbo which may not be able to expel the gases well enough and hence not control boost enough. which is when an external wastegate and screamer could let out enough gases to control the boost.

Is this wrong?
Do you know anyone running 500bhp on internal wastegate and sufficiently controlling boost?

Or is it simply that bigger turbo's don't have enough room for internal wastegates hence are mostly external?

Fazz

jord369! said:
also ive had a look on the ATP site and to be honest im a little confused?? which 3071r do i get? theres one that says .86 with 90 trim and one that says .64 with 72 im lost??
.64 will give quicker spool up but lose out slightly on top end.
.86 seems best all rounder
1.04 gives bit more lag but better top end.

Fusion Ed

Scoobies get about 490 with 3076 internally gated. You really are pushing it trying to get more (still under control, but with ported housings) 3076 externally gated they get over 500 with allot less effort.

Ed

Keira

Ed what the fook has a subaru got to do with anything ? :lol:

Correct me if im wrong but both the 3071 and 3076 use completely different flanged housings with the internal and external gated versions so one will make more power anyways with everything else being equal....i.e t2 and t3, one flows alot more efficiently than the other to start with so is not a good comparisson.

fazz states that 400-450bhp is the limit on an internal gate....this is far from the truth, there are off the shelf options of the gt35 that will do 600bhp on an internal gate and you can go bigger than that on some manufacturers turbos.

a bigger external gate is better at controlling low boost on big turbos as it will allow more exhaust to bypass the turbine, hence why sometimes you can get creep on a smaller internal gated turbo when high up the revs. An internal gate is restricted by its size due to the fact its built into the housing where as an external gate can be as big as you want it to be aslong as its manufactured.

If you were running an internally gated turbo (example 3071) in its higher range, absolutely flat out everwhere all of the time you would probably never have an issue with it being internally gated, if you were poodling about at .9 of a bar all of the time at higher revs you're more than likely to get some sort of issue, either creep or spikes due to the small waste gate not allowing enough gas to exit before the turbine wheel.

the same thing happens if you were to undersize an external gate, if it cant flow enough gas to bypass the turbine boost levels would creep.

Last edited:
A

a11ova

Im planning on using a 3071 with a 1.2 bar actuator and blitz boost controler to get about 450bhp

Keira

good for you...

im planning on taking a dump in about 5mins but didn't feel the need to tell the world about it...doh, just did :lol:

J

jord369!

thanks for all the help guys, just one more thing?? with the 3071r do you HAVE to have some kinda spacer to kick the turbo away from the block/gearbox or will it fit with a standard manifold??

MORF114

2.75 compressor inlet will be fine on std manifold if you opt for the 4" housing then youll have to think about kicking the turbo out away from the gearbox somehow.

J

jord369!

Whats the difference between the two?? will the 2.75 housing generate less power/be more laggy?? surely theres a down side to having the smaller housing?

A

a11ova

diesel weasel said:
good for you...

im planning on taking a dump in about 5mins but didn't feel the need to tell the world about it...doh, just did :lol:
oh the humour........hope u made it to the toilet as your post suggests you did it whilst at the computer.....think of the stains lol

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
diesel weasel said:
good for you...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P

pearl 476.5bhp

diesel weasel said:
good for you...

thats funny8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

G

Geo3

gt3071r

Help needed bit confused in motions of re-building my pulsar and want a gt3071r an want 450bhp. Need to no wether i need i can get this on internal wastgate not sure what boost im going to run yet. Friend is also in 2 minds for his s14a. Any help would be great as coming to end of build he he