Troubles after fitting FMIC + raising the boost..

E

Eric Yellow

After fitting an EVO6 intercooler nicely at the front I decided to up the boost a bit.
Took it for a spin and at the point where the boost got to 1.4 bar I suddenly got smashed against the windscreen..well...almost...
Tried it again and same result...
It just feels like the iginition completely falls out at that point...
Not running on 3 cilinders, but completely goes dead...
Could it be the plugs not doing anything at that boost pressure??
I'm getting my Iridium plugs this week, so hopefully it will be solved then.
If anybody has other ideas, please let me know.

Thanx,

Eric.

E

Eric Yellow

Nope, no detting and fuelling is controlled by Apexi SAFC.
It's just like the ignition totally shuts down...
Or the plugs failing all 4 together...
Had it before and made the plug gap smaller, set them at 0,7 mm, was 0,9 mm, worked fine then but now it's doing just the same...

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Is it cutting at a specific RPM...

What do you mean when you say the ignition goes dead...? Does the whole car switch off...?

Could be the ECU's Boost Cut coming into play... HKS Boost/Fuel cut Defencer sorts that one out...

Rishi

A

Anonymous

I had something similar when the strainer fell out of mu fuel pump and it sucked in a plastic bit in the fuel tank (dont ask me how it got there), anyways the intake of the pump as still able to suck fuel but not as much. So when driving it was fine until it hit around 5psi then the car suddenly lost power and i would jolt forward. Luckily i have an air/fuel gauge and next time when i starting hitting boost i looked at it, and surely enought it was leaning out. took the fuel pump out, removed plastic, hooked up strainer again, put it back, bingo all worked fine

I'd get it checked out make sure its not leaning out

Gino

Ps is the SAFC set up correctly at that boost level, injectors dirty, bigger fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter clogged up...... just a few things you can check

N

N1SMO

i had this same problem a few years ago. does it take 5 to 10 seconds for the ecu to come back online.

E

Eric Yellow

@N1SMO: nope, ECU is right back online, when I put my foot down again, it's the same story..1.4 Bar and Bang, I hit the windscreen again with my head..;)
I notice nothing different like holding back or something..

@PSI70Y: It's not the fuel filter that's clogged (it's brandnew) or fuel pump shutting down, also brand new Walbro and if I watch my AFR gauge it's still nice and rich..
SAFC is set up correctly btw..

@RishiGTiR: It's not cutting out at a specific rpm, but at a specific amount of boost..at 1.4 bar it just looks like the ignition is cut off.
So not the whole car, but only the ignition..
ECU boost cut ??
Can't think of the ECU cutting the boost, specially when there is nothing electrical anymore that can reduce the boost level.
It's all mechanical now.
If it was a boost cut, then boost would be reduced and the car would accelerate slower, but in my case it just cuts off...

I received my new plugs today so I'm going to fit them later, let's see if that makes any difference...

E

Eric Yellow

Sorry but my english is not so good, specially technical english...
If by wastegate actuator solonoid you mean the valve (with 2 wires connected to it) that is fitted in the hose to the wastegate, then Yes, it is bypassed.

E

Eric Yellow

No backfires or strange noises, just holds back VERY abruptly once and if I keep the throttle down instead of backing off, it just accelerates on after holding back.
Boost is a little lower then, it peaks at 1.4 bar, then drops to about 1.3
Just looks like the ECU somehow reads boost pressure and then shuts down the ignition or something.
If boost then drops to 1.3 it's all ok.
Set boost at 1.3 for now, will try to find out what the problem is.
Plugs didn't work, had high hopes for them being the problem, but sadly it wasn't... :cry:

B

bean

Sounds to me like fuel cut, I've never experienced it in my R but I have in other turbo cars. Like a violent cut which nearly throws you through the windscreen.

J

jasegould

Sounds to me like fuel cut, I've never experienced it in my R but I have in other turbo cars. Like a violent cut which nearly throws you through the windscreen.
I agree, my mates Starlet does exactly the same thing. Altho I didnt think R's had a fuel cut Ive have seen them for sale specifically for the R

MarkTurbo

jasegould2002 said:
I agree, my mates Starlet does exactly the same thing. Altho I didnt think R's had a fuel cut Ive have seen them for sale specifically for the R
I'm pretty sure the R dosen't have a fuel cut (not fitted as standard anyway). I've run 1.4 bar on my car, accidently cos i forgot to connect the actuator pipe back on to the i'cooler bracket :oops:

With the pipe left off it just hit 1.4 bar and held that boost. No fuel cut or anything.

Sounds similar to the overboost switch on renault 5 turbo's. That cuts the spark totally and is quite violent

E

Eric Yellow

I'm going to fit a timing lamp to my ignition tomorow so I can see what happens to the spark when the car cuts out..
If the spark is gone at the time I get smashed against the windscreen, then I'm about 99% sure the R has got a fuel/boost cut, if not I'll have to search further....

E

Eric Yellow

F*CK, looks like I might have a fuel cut...
Tried the strobo lamp on the ignition and even when I get the "cut" the ignition is giving sparks like hell.
So I think I'm having some kind of fuel cut.
The only way it can measure how much boost I'm running is by the signal of the MAF.
Now how do I get rid of this fuel cut ???
Please help me !!!

N

N1SMO

Is this any help

Fuel Cut Defencer Electronics Technology
Vehicles Produced between. 90/8~94/12
Engine Type. SR20DET
Part No. 4501-RN003
Model No. RNN14

Type H

Fuel Cut Defencer
The HKS FCD is an electronic device developed to appropriately raise the factory fuel cut level on factory turbo charged vehicles. The factory fuel delivery cut off can often be activated by modifications such as the Super Power Flow Kit and Super Drager exhaust systems, these kind of products are designed to optimise engine performance. As a result of this kind of performance optimisation the factory fuel cut can often be triggered by higher boost levels. The vehicles standard factory ECU will activate a fuel delivery cut of as a failsafe, designed to prevent engine damage. Symptoms of fuel cut can be hesitation, bogging and/or illumination of diagnostic indicators. The electronic signal from the FCD will raise the fuel cut level to accommodate for additional boost without triggering fuel cut and/or engine diagnostic light. The FCD is designed to interface with the factory ECU harness.

*Important: Due to the nature of this product, higher than recommended boost levels may be attained by the installation and use of the FCD. This could result is severe failure to your vehicles engine or associated parts. HKS Europe Ltd. Strongly advise that this product should only be fitted and set up by an experienced technician.

[/url]http://www.hkseurope.com/