Totb

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GINGA said:
So only 1 R did the handling last year? and in previous years I can only remember Bruce (pimppulsar) ever having a go, so no one really knows how a well setup R would fair? .
I think Mo Jamil and Jobi both went on the handling last year, not sure about 00sid, I missed him if he did. I did get some footage of them (and pimp from a previous year) in action. Like you say tho, I don't think any of those were properly set up for the handling, so a well set up one would hopefully do alot better. I think Jobi may even have been almost standard supsension wise.

The R does seem to have an advantage with cars upto about 100bhp above it's level, but not sure about 2-400bhp above it tho.

GINGA

Fast Guy said:
The R does seem to have an advantage with cars upto about 100bhp above it's level, but not sure about 2-400bhp above it tho.
The blokes who came 3rd and 5th in the handling both had around 400hp and were on std internals, so power isn't the be all and end all on the handling circuit.

A

a11ova

So, do i get to enter lol. The car is setup brilliantly (corner weighted etc) And i have just about the entire whiteline catalogue bolted to my 'R' along with a fine set off coilovers. Only waiting on my whitleine under brace to arrive and thats it about complete.

Lionel

i think the person that will be running the team will look form cars with power from 350+ with all the handleing set sort etc.

This is just my view on it and i gess is you had a really well set up 300 hp car i can see them letting you run but i gess we will all have to wait and see.

A

a11ova

No worries, well its not my descion at the ned of the day, but if need be i can get the car mapped to run a bit more boost if needed but im not prepared to put it over 1.3 bar as the internals are stil stock. That would put at about 330ish i guess maybe a tad more

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Perhaps it worth having 5 dedicated cars for handling and 5 cars for straight line speed. (also some back-up cars in case of any problems)

I can't see why we cannot offer a strong and competitive team for the handling event. Ok were never going to make ¼ records, but I think it’s certainly worth making a worthwhile attempt at the handling section. As mentioned above, people that have competed have had around 400hp and gave some reasonable times.
I think that with competitive and competent drivers we should really push to get some points in this area.

iirc there was talk of a mini time attack at Knockhill, (£20 in the pot and winner takes all) What’s stopping us from perhaps sorting something out and having people who think that have what it takes prove themselves to win a place for TOTB?
Its ok having all the gear, but if you can’t drive for shit then it’s a futile point of competing when someone else with perhaps a lesser spec’s car could slash 3 seconds off someone else’s time.

A

a11ova

sounds good to me. Would be nice to be given a chance to show how i and my car can perform. I pretty confident in both (not trying to sound big headed) and for the handling i honestly believe that i can push some of the bigger BHP cars thru the twisties. I love track days and spend a lot of time at donnington so i know how my car reacts when on the limit. Who do i need to speak to about whether i can represent our small group?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
fubar andy said:
Perhaps it worth having 5 dedicated cars for handling and 5 cars for straight line speed. (also some back-up cars in case of any problems)
Easier said than done :lol:

MarkTurbo

pulsar_stu said:
As GINGA said.... I prefer to see the handling stage!!! any soft lad can drive a car in a straight line!!! it takes a different class of driver to do a handling circuit!!!

The R was made for a rally not a top end or 1/4 mile run!!!
We all know it wasnt designed for 1/4 miles and top speed runs but your forgetting the handling is shite too ;-) Even with a reallly good suspension set up/semi slicks etc etc a half decent Evo would still come out on top (assuming drivers of equal capabilites) :lol:

I do agree with what your saying though, it would be better to have cars with less bhp and a decent driver that can do some respectable times on the handling course 8) Theres no point just having cars with a lot of power that either dont bother with the handling course (like previous years :roll: ) or arent any good because they're too laggy :der:

Lionel

mark i put ur up for the handling track at totb u seen to sling ur R around the A roads well anuff LOL

MarkTurbo

My car isnt anywhere near good enough ;-) It would be interesting to see what times it would do round a handling course though!

I reckon it would stop better than 90% of other members cars :lol: But i need to get my **** in gear and sort out some decent shocks and springs for it :oops:

MarkTurbo

130,000 mile old standard shocks and springs :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still managed to beat a 400bhp Evo 9 at the haynes sprint last year though :lol:

Lionel

jump on msn mate we could have a chatt.

i rember when we went to pod that time my gear shifter snaped ur where really giveing ur R some thow the round abouts.

i think with the right spring set up etc ur car would do well.

GINGA

MarkTurbo said:
130,000 mile old standard shocks and springs :oops: :oops: :oops:

Still managed to beat a 400bhp Evo 9 at the haynes sprint last year though :lol:
Don't forget the standard brakes and road tyres aswell ;)