think I've blown her up!!!

rossdj1983

also in my limited experience it always seems that thats the cylinder to go pop(nearest the dizzy) on 2 of my mates pulsars theyve blown up.

get shopping mate

P

pulsarboby

engine out time fella!
shame for you that you didnt take me up on my bet that it was no 3!

id have been wrong, and i was gonna bet you a nice newly built forged engine aswell:faint: would have then been a bad day for me:lol: :lol:

rossdj1983

bugger

anyway boby, i would of turned you down on that-your forged engine bein fu<ked and all, i wouldnt have the space for another one lol

P

pulsarboby

only coz you know otherwise;-)
but whos to say that ive not had a cunning plan, and built another monster lump:lol: :lol:

G

GTIROC_HELPME

jpward said:
I bought one for about £30 handy thing to have

PS did you take the rocker cover off to check you had not flicked a rocker off i know a couple of guys who have done this, 1 got away with 2 new shims plus labour of course look for anyhting not tight up there it only takes you 15 mins to check and you only need a 12& 10mm socket surlely you have them :p
would this cause it to smoke? thanx

rossdj1983

if your plug was covered in oil id be pretty sure you done a ring in, as the other chap said by a compression tester or borrow one

rx jamie

yeah id agree. dropping from 3rd to 2nd on the over run, wont really have any effect on the turbocharger unless bits of your internals rupture and exit via it lol. its definately piston ring related.

G

GTIROC_HELPME

hi-ho hi-ho engine out here I go!

someone has warned me of a knock sensor behind the inlet manifold that you have to be careful not to desturb when taking the engine out, is he right and what would it look like.

why oh why did I buy a GTI---------------ARGHHHHHHH

G

GTIROC_HELPME

abyss said:
probably bent valve's if your changed down which has over rev'd the engine.
That's what I thought to start with but lots of people seem to say piston rings, suppose only one way to find out. gonna strip the head off tonight n have a good look.

G

GTIROC_HELPME

rossdj1983 said:
if your plug was covered in oil id be pretty sure you done a ring in, as the other chap said by a compression tester or borrow one
but if valve is bent surely compression will be low anyway!

P

pulsarboby

yep compression will be zero if a valves bent as there wont be any compression on that cylinder at all.

its possible it could be both! if the valve has hit the piston it may have put a hole in it.

you wont know that till you have the little critter stripped down.

G

GTIROC_HELPME

Thank you everyone that has replied on my thread, will post the outcome when I know more myself. she'll be back on the tarmac before long!

why oh why did I buy a GTI-----------ARGHHHHHH

marcymarc

GTIROC_HELPME said:
Thank you everyone that has replied on my thread, will post the outcome when I know more myself. she'll be back on the tarmac before long!

why oh why did I buy a GTI-----------ARGHHHHHH

Now get your membership paid sunshine!!:thumbsup:

S

sR20DET

i did a similar thing a little while ago, lots of smoke and running on 2/3. took the rocker cover off and lucklly all i had done was thrown a cam follower. hope you are as lucky.

rx jamie

do some research on the engine and its ancilleries first mate if you arent really that clued yup on the r. no point just diving straight in !

gtir_pimp

hi mate, i done a similar thing in my pulsar a while ago. i went well past 9000rpm and the car screamed, made a bang, smoke poured out the exhaust and it felt like it was only firing on 1 cylinder! i broke the shimms (i think thats what they are called). take off the rocker cover and look in the head and you should see they sit on top of the valves and under the cams. you will soon know if you broke 1 just by looking.they are sort of V shaped, my mate owned my pulsar before me and went from 4th to 3rd gear and broke 1, but i managed to smash about 5 of them! lucky not to bend the valves! not a major job and the parts arent expensive, about £20 each i think. im not a mechanic but hope this helps