T2860(disco potato) vs T2871

projectgtir

Thinking of upgrading soon to either of these .Running 1.2 on standard unit and im still on factory internals and want to keep it that way for a while .
Looking to run around 350-370ish purely because of the g/box.

I know the disco potato(t2860 can run 360bhp) and has a rep for spooling fast and the 2871 can run upto 400 with a selected trim .

So which would be the best turbo in terms of everything ,power delivery,torque ,spool up and reliabily.

Trip

If 370bhp is all you are after, go for the fast spooling turbo. In my opinion its useless going for a bigger turbo slightly increasing spool time and not using its full potential. For daily use the fast spooler should be better too.

Don't forget you would still need bigger injectors, maf and a tune.

davey red.r

i know a lad that went through 2 disco turbos in 4 month on his track r running 350 bhp if it was my choice it would be 2871 all day

davey red.r

havnt a clue stu,was steve ferguson who races them,he said they were shite, after a couple of laps at croft it shat itself then he replaced it for the same to happen again:roll: he would enlighten you more mate as to the reason why?

I

iomegalinux

any one have dyno sheet for those 2 turbo, they come back often has a question for poeple (and me ;) .
which rpm they get full boost, which pressure they work best.
the 3071 seem to be the main choice, but i can't understand if i want to get only 350hp why this turbo would be great for me.

stumo

A 3071 is only used if you want 400+hp, if you're after 350-360 then a disco potato (2860rs) is the one to get.

I

iomegalinux

and versus a 2871 ? and i forget wheel/trim size ?
if i want it to push until 7k rpm ?

Trip

You cannot have all the cake and eat it. If you want to make power up top, you will need a bigger trim turbo, which will make you suffer down low. I believe a GT3071R with a 0.82A/R will not be restiricted up to 7Krpm. A GT2860RS with 0.82A/R will most likely start falling at 6K/6.5K rpm. I am sure others with first hand experience can correct me on this.

Now ask yourself, in a whole drive to the pub, how many seconds are you at 7K rpm and above ?

I

iomegalinux

it's why i ask other people, i want to find the best to match my need and have real need for a turbo for my R.
has i want great response i know i'll loose some high rev boost but it dosen't matter at a point, like you say, currently i don't really often rev up to 7k rpm, but the boost come at 4k rpm,

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Have you fitted a 3" elbow yet? This is proven by many people to make good results whatever turbo you are running. It will help it to breath more easily. Typically would take the spool down 500rpm from the OE elbow..

I was using a 3071 .64a/r turbo that was very responsive but is designed for>400hp. In terms of response it would be similar to a 2871 with .82a/r.

My 3071 with the correct supporting mods was generating .7bar boost from around 2.7K so the biggest of the turbo's is still a whole league ahead of the OEM setup.

I heard Dan's 2860RS is doing similar from 2K.

If you've already changed your exhaust, given you are running standard internals and gearbox I'd go for a 2860RS.

projectgtir

Yeah i already have a custom ebow and downpipe . I suppose the disco potato seems the more sensible and safe for the engine and box. Its just temptation for the bigger turbo as they are similar in price.

Braveheart

There's a number of people on here looking for an uprated fast spooling turbo so you will have no problem shifting it if you were to change your plans later on down the line.

projectgtir

Yeah thats quite a good price with the actuator. usually its not included. Its strange using search engine I cant find no where as many 2860s for sale as the 2871.

frit

I got the dyno man to put the two graphs of mine on one page, one turbo being the 2860 (quite old at the time, had done 40000+ miles, but it gives you an idea) the other being my current 2871:

As you can see it takes the bigger turbo about an extra 500rpm to reach the same pressure as the 2860 which in my opinion is definately noticable, from driving one then the other. The 2871 has 0.82 a/r, not sure about the 2860 but you can also see the smaller turbo drops off about 6000rpm whereas the 2871 stays strong right to redline.

frit

Well its a tough call, dont get me wrong i love the power that the 2871 gives but as everyone says the limit really for these cars unless you can afford the constant required maintence for 400+hp is around what im running and even then im wary. I managed a 12.8 sec 1/4 mile on the 2860 at the above power (298bhp), went back with the 2871 running 60+ more hp and couldnt get better than a 12.9. I have no idea what the problem was, could have been my driving or the wind i dont know but if the turbo went again (touching wood all around me) i think i would go for a 2860 and run around 330-350hp and gain a bit of responsiveness for b roads and trackdays. That saying, im definately not dissappointed with the way it is at the moment.