T2860(disco potato) vs T2871

Trip

What was the difference between both dyno runs apart from turbo ?

Boost seems 3 psi less,
Did you have same turbo elbow, down pipe, ecu tune etc.. ?

Do you have a torque graph too ?

There is around 65bhp difference between the two which in my opinion there should be not more then 40bhp

frit

What was the difference between both dyno runs apart from turbo ?

Boost seems 3 psi less,
Did you have same turbo elbow, down pipe, ecu tune etc.. ?

Do you have a torque graph too ?

There is around 65bhp difference between the two which in my opinion there should be not more then 40bhp
Yeah your right sorry i forgot to mention the boost was higher as seen on the graph i was just giving an example of how long it took to get to the same pressure (1.2ish) and as you can see it was an extra 500rpm.
In answer to what else was different i think it was only turbo elbow and turbo that differed, in which case that means if i had only changed the turbo it probably would have been more than 500rpm different.
I have separate torque graphs but not on the same page.

Trip

If the 2860 had an uprated elbow, it would have spooled even even faster and yield more power. Probably 800 to 1000Rpm faster then the 2871

We aren't comparing apples with apples here.

How did it shat itself, a loose hose or maybe age ?

frit

Well in that case i certainly wouldnt be installing anything above a 2860 without an uprated elbow. I knew the oem elbow could have been improved but i was unaware it would make as much difference to spool up as you're saying it will.
Im assuming the turbo went due to increased boost pressure and milage, everything else was fine (pipes etc.)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
True. I've just got round to fitting my CES split dumppipe and the car feels so much stronger low down it's unreal.
I got my first puff of smoke on sunday, so I'm guessing my already tired old turbo is going to die not long after fitting my downpipe.:doh::lol:

John

Im needing an uprated elbow badly, but where exactly can you get one since most tuners dont bother with R's?

I

iomegalinux

so many R owner need a new turbo and a new elbow ;) would sound like a good group buy hehe
but thank frit for the dyno sheet.

Jon Olds

Sorry if this redirects the thread a bit, but I need an aftermarket elbow to fit a roller bearing big wheel T28 using std manifold casting and mongoose. What do I buy?
Regards,
Jon
(the lag out of chicanes is killing any benefits I get with the bigger turbines: tarmac rally)

Trip

Sorry if this redirects the thread a bit, but I need an aftermarket elbow to fit a roller bearing big wheel T28 using std manifold casting and mongoose. What do I buy?
Regards,
Jon
(the lag out of chicanes is killing any benefits I get with the bigger turbines: tarmac rally)
At what RPM do you exit the chicanes ? Here locally, chicanes are mainly placed in the middle of a long strech to limit top speed. After seeing lots of footage it is evident that other drivers put in first gear to keep rpm's high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJbiE_tOFk
this is one of the chicanes i am talking about. scroll to 0:50sec and you see me. On exiting you can hear the engine is at low RPM (in second gear), i blipped the clutch (00:57sec) to gain a little more rpm. To say everything, my car wasn't at its best there and had already signs of problems and boost was coming late (12psi at 4800rpm). For this reason (chicanes) i am heavily considering downsizing to a GT2860RS.

I am using an AM elbow and downpipe which in my opinion is not the best out there. It is not 3" diameter end to end. Fast Guy posted above he just installed a CES split dumppipe http://www.cesracing.com.au/index.htm .