Struggling to tickover

Shaun

Hi guy's,i changed my clutch and flywheel the other weekend and for the first 2 days the car seemed fine,but one morning i started the car and it was stuggling to tickover,as if there wasnt any choke.And if i pulled up at a junction the revs would drop to around 600 and then bounce up and down before settling after around 5-10 seconds,it also had a flat spot between 2000 and 3000revs.I monitored it for a couple of days and changed the MAF and Coil with known good ones to no avail.I then noticed that the AFR gauge was very sluggish so put it down to the Lambda sensor which i changed today for a secondhand one and all seemed to be ok until i started it from cold again.The AFR gauge now seems to be working as normal and the flatspots seem to have gone,but its still stuggling to tick over.I've also check the boost and vacum pipes and all the plugs that were disconnected when i had the gearbox out.Any ideas?Oh and it had a new coolant sensor around 6 months ago.

J

jpward

check the vac hoses by way of squeezin the hose that comes out of the rocker cover beside the oil cap filler;

revs rise = leak somewhere and i suspect this will happen!

Shaun

Does the Lambda and MAF give the same fault code 12?When my Lambda was in i got a code 55,so i changed the MAF for my Bro's to see if it made any difference and it didnt,so i disconnected the Lambda to see if that made a difference and it ran better but still struggled to tickover,and we havent had chance to swap the MAF's back over,but i've just done a fault code check and its came up 12(MAF).

hmmm

Have a look at the MAF connection. There are three pins in the plug and sometimes these pins move out of position. This causes a bad connection.

In the plug there are three gold pins. Check to see if these are all in place and have not been pushed in.

Have seen this happen before so it's worth having a look mate ;-).

Shaun

Swapped MAF's back over with my Bro this afternoon and so far things seem ok,it still tries to stall occasionally,would this be due to the lightened flywheel?

cojack

Have you checked the t.p.s fella. Had a similar problem when i cleaned my off with brake clearner. As it was covered in dirt.

Shaun

:-D TPS voltage is fine,but i started the car from cold this morning and it wouldnt tick over :drama: ,had to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it from stalling,its not too bad as soon as it gets warm but its still very lumpy.

hmmm

Try PM'ing Frank (Turbine) on the 'other side' :lol: as I think he had a similar problem in the past.

Shaun

:-D Thanks mate,will do.Just disconnected my SAFC2 just to start ruling things out and it runs a little better,but on boost with my ITC advancing the timing i'm not getting any knock on standard fueling :shock: whereas i used to,which seems to say that its overfuelling for some reason.

hmmm

Blocked Injectors or bad earth to them. Or even the clip that holds the Injectors may have come loose?

Long shots, but worth checking.

Shaun

:-D Keep em coming mate,open to any ideas that might help 8) .Going to change the coolant temp sensor again tomorrow with the old one that was working fine,if that dosent sort it then it looks like i'll have to remove the intake manifold to see whats going on behind there :cry: .I'll see if i can get chance to put my Nissan DataLoggit software onto it aswell 8) .

hmmm

My car was struggling to tick over today as well :lol:.

I looked at the four rubber caps on the Throttle Body that stops air from leaking and one was missing. I replaced it with a spare I had lying around and the car ran perfect. Went for a quick drive and then parked up and the same thing happened again... It struggled to tick over :oops:. So popped open the bonnet and the damn rubber cap had flown off again :evil: :lol:.

Now I am down to the last spare one I have. How do I keep this thing from flying off? :cry: Use tiny hose clamps or something?

Worth checking this as well Shaun ;-).

Last edited: