Running lean over 4500rpm

hmmm

Mate have a look to see if you MAF connection is on properly.Sometimes the pins in the plug can work their way out of position. Just unplug it, look at the pins (should be 3 gold coloured ones) make sure htye haven't gone in and then re-connect it.

People have had similar problems and this has sometimes cured it. Worth a try mate ;-).

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The two problems might not be related.

If someone has been fiddling around in the engine bay then a connector might not be on correctly. I had an intermittent fault on mine where an injector connector was not quite clipped on solidly so occsaionaly it would move off and fire on 3 cylinders (Subaru sound), next time no problem. Only found it by physically pulling on all the plugs

Paz is spot on that White smoke is coolant related though could the white smoke just have been the moisture in the exhaust you always get for the first 5 minutes when left over night rather than a gasket failure?

Check all your connections, sparks, MAF, HT leads, injectors, TPS etc.

Gray

Is that with the non starting problem or the +4500 revs problem hmmm? lol

Last edited:

Gray

ill pull off the injector plugs and refit on my lunch and ill check my maf

Just need to sort out the non starting problem at the mo

Ive asked the guys who fitted the emanage how to bypass it aswell to go back to standard ecu but heard nothign back yet, anyone know?

hmmm

The MAF may possibly related with both, although I would say it's more likely to be the starting problem.

Gray

They swapped the MAF over to check the 4,500rpm starting prob and it wasnt that so could be starting problem ill check the connection on the maf and injectors on my lunch

anything else i can check while im there

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Gray said:
ill pull off the injector plugs and refit on my lunch and ill check my maf
QUOTE]

I shouldn't bother pulling em off, just give them a good pull and push and anything else in the engine bay related to firing, fueling or MAF.

Gray

Ok will do, find it really strange that everything was ok until it was left overnight and now it wont start
id say from the way the car felt and how it sounded it was runing on 2 or 3 cylinders

The injectors seem to be a bit wibbly as in the can spin left and right a bit - is this normal? how do you take the injectors out as I have the 550s in there at te mo might put the 444's back in

J

justin666

If your Alternator is dying you will see the ABS light start to flicker on and off aswell. Mite be worth just checking all the connections and earths to it just to make just they are attached correctly. I assume you re-attached that tensioner that came off a few weeks ago.????

As Paz Says, White smoke is usually a sign of water mixing in the cyliners and the head gasket on the way out. It would well just be a coincidence that this has happened now after ther car was worked on the other day. Its could also explain why it was leaning out if water was gettin pumped into the cyliners :(

J.

Gray

its never ever white smoke before now and it was only white smoking as something was stopping it from running right

i have not yet reattached the tensioner im still waiting for nissan to get it in
the battery light keeps flashing - my abs was removed so that doesnt flash
my lights dim when it flashes and interior light dims etc

I really dont think its head gasket as the oil is better than fine and im not losing coolant and coolant looks fine

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Gray said:
Ok will do, find it really strange that everything was ok until it was left overnight and now it wont start
id say from the way the car felt and how it sounded it was runing on 2 or 3 cylinders

The injectors seem to be a bit wibbly as in the can spin left and right a bit - is this normal? how do you take the injectors out as I have the 550s in there at te mo might put the 444's back in
That's normal as long as they are not too "wibbly" ;-)

You need to remove the fuel rail to swap them but you would also need to re-configure your e-manage. Unless the E-manage has been reset overnight and lost all its memory, this sounds like the wrong tree to be barking up.

I wouldn't go there until you've checked all your basics first.

J

justin666

I know we have said this before but ya really shouldnt drive the car without that tensioner on !!! Did you establish if it was the alternator or power steering tensioner that came off. If it was the alternator one that could explain a few things!!! If the belt starts to slip even a little bit it could possibley cause voltages to drop including the one to the fuel pump. That would certainly lean things out :(

Gray

Well the power steering one was the one that fell off
So the alternator was having probs anyway even witht he bolt on
So I went to tighten the alternator bolt and it snapped

But the bolt was only screwed into the little block about an inch - on fast guys picture of his - his is screwed nearly all the way up the bolt

if the bolt doesnt cure it im going to need a new alternator by the sounds of it
bye bye another 300 quid

so you think this could be the cause of some of the problems? not sure it will be the cause of the non starting though, need some jump leads

Gray

campbellju said:
That's normal as long as they are not too "wibbly" ;-)

You need to remove the fuel rail to swap them but you would also need to re-configure your e-manage. Unless the E-manage has been reset overnight and lost all its memory, this sounds like the wrong tree to be barking up.

I wouldn't go there until you've checked all your basics first.
I'm wondering whether to unplug the emanage would this help?

Gray

I spoke to hyper SR just now and they said I might have fuel on the plugs and to try and start it and keep it revving and take it for a good drive and it should be ok

im not too sure that it will be that i wish it was that simple - would that cause the white smoke though aswell?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
OK i've had my car sound like a Subaru, run lean and lots of white smoke before...

Check out your injector resistor pack... its a silver think the size of a Mars bar... It runs a connection to the injectors... When this gets wet it will corrode and affect the voltage to the injectors...

Depending on how bad the corrosion is it will affect the fueling to the cylinders... In my case i had one cylinder running completely lean due to one of the injectors not getting voltage...

Check it out as it sounds like a likely culprit esp after the reacent winter days... Make sure you give it a good look underneath and where the connections are soldered in...

Rishi

Gray

Ah right yeah ill have a look at that
It seems strange that its decided to go now after ive had work done on it and it was fine last night

seems like that might be a good thing to check though

so rishi you had the subaru noise, running lean and white smoke and then got a new injector resistor pack and it was ok again?
How much are these from Nissan and are they easy to replace?

Gray

Pulsar is back up and running after Hiteq looking at it for only an hour.
It was overfuelling so much that it wouldn't spark up, there was a problem with the emanage settings. All the did was bypass the emanage and put the stock 444cc injectors back in and it fired straight up.

So now they are going to fit my other alternator as I think mine is knackered, alternator tensioner bolt, new throttle position sensor, new walbro fuel pump and new fuel filter

Then theyre going to try and figure out why its leaning out over 4,500 rpm I reckon its either the fuel pump I had was on its way out, the wiring of the fuel pump is goosed or it was cos my alternator is shot.

Once they have figured out the leaning problem and set up the 550cc injectors and emanage - 340bhp here we come.

Gray

Cheers Jim, thanks for all your offers of help they were much appreciated. Hopefully those 550cc's will be running sweet soon.