Running lean over 4500rpm

Gray

Took my car to Hyper SR today for them to fit a decat, oil change and fit and setup an emanage an map the boost to 1.3 bar also install some 550cc injectors

They did the oil change and the decat even did it so the light went off the dash for the temp sensor
They installed the injectors then installed the emanage then took it to set it up

They came back and said it was runing way lean after 4.5k even on standard boost aswell as 1 bar and 1.3
They thought the injectors i had might be buggered so they put the standard ones back in - same thing was happening
The checked the fuel pressure and it was good, they changed the MAF - still happening
They bypassed the emanage to see if it was that and it was still happening
They checked the ECU for fault codes and there werent any

They spent about 3 or 4 hours trying to figure it out but couldnt they said it seems like it must be being electronically cut after 4,500 rpm but not sure why (but they still dont really know) - so today cost me nearly 500 quid and all i got was an oil change and decat put on which is fair enough for the amount of hours they spent on it

I dont wanna take it back tho for it to cost me anther days labour and them not find the problem - they mentioned testing the injector resistor pack if i brought it back and a few other things - it seems really weird as the car runs fine and you wouldnt even know it was running lean im lucky ive not melted any pistons i guess

Feeling pretty low at the mo cars pissing me off - Any one any ideas about what could be wrong

Last edited:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Check the fuel pump...

Even the wiring may need to be seen to... I've seem them drop voltage due to failed wiring over time...

Rishi

Gray

Does this need doing though even if the fuel pressure was good? Wouldnt it cause to run lean over the whole rev range rather than just a certain point?

Cheers for the help Rishi its another avenue for them to explore, anything else to check?
What about the injector resistor pack that they mentioned?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
What was the fuel pressure...

It should be 45psi / 3bar...

Just make sure thats what it was...

Remember that its the same case with all the injectors and ECU so it points toward the fuel pump... Could just be knackard...?

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to here about your bad luck Gray.

Did your car run at the RR last year and was it okay then?

Is the fuel pump new? Do you have an uprated fuel pump or did the PO just tell you it has?

If they said they checked the fuel pressure, like Rishi says was it across the range?

If its running lean and they are convinced the fueling and MAF is okay then maybe its the TPS that is damaged or miscalibrated?

Keep us informed what's going on as you could always pop round and check a few basics.

Dooie Pop Pop

you calibrate the emanage against the tps if you do it properly. if i were you id renew the live/earth for your fuel pump, replace or borrow another fpr and then get it checked by someone else' s wide band lambda sensor.
take up Campbellju' s kind offer and swap a few parts around. was it mapped on the rollers? were they sure fuel pressure was ok at 4500rpm? how did they check it?

stu

Gray

Not sure what fuel pump it was but I have been told its uprated might just get them to fit a new one see if that cures it but even if its standard it should not run lean on standard boost which it does after 4500 rpm

Not sure how they checked the fuel pressure dont think they checked it at 4500rpm just when the car was off i think

I remember Ian at Hiteq saying I needed a new TPS as it was idling like a twat and it still does but only every now and again it goes upto 1500-1800rpm at idle sometimes - when warm - and wont drop - could this cause it to run lean over 4500rpm tho?

Gray

So far I have the following :-

Check / Replace Fuel Pump
Renew Live & earth to fuel pump
Check Fuel Pump Wiring - Sometimes theres a drop in voltage over time
Check Fuel Pressure - Should be 45 PSI / 3 BAR
Check fuel pressure across rev range
Check / Replace TPS
Check / Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Check Injector Resistor Pack

Things to replace are Fuel Pump, TPS and FPR?

Any other thoughts?
I also at the moment am having electrical props with my alternator not sure if the belts slack or the alternator is on its way out - could this cause leaning out over 4500rpm?

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Well it sounds like a good place to start if it been diagnosed before.

You need to open your throttle up more to get up the rev range and if it reads lower than it is then it will put the ECU on a lower part of the map and run lean.

If it is your TPS then it takes 5 mins to check and or swap....

D

deslynam

Seems like it would be, although if you can wait a little while I should have a brand new unused one for sale without the international shipping hassle ;)

Gray

Ok mate think hmmmm has one too for me I'll let you know.

Update now though - car wont even start now
Didn't think things could get much worse but they have - went to start the car this morning, it started but then it was idling at around 400-500 revs boucning struggling not to stall
I revved it a bit and the revs went up slightly but not as they usually would
So I pulled off about 20 metres down the street but it wouldnt accelerate and the car sounded like a subaru and it was pissing white smoke out the back
managed to get it to the end of the street and turn it round to back outside mine then it stalled and wouldnt start again
It turns over but now doesnt even try to start just keeps turning over
White smoke = not enough fuel?

Thing is it was fine on the way home stopped it outside my grilfriends work then drove back to mine then parked up was left for an hour then went out for something to eat and it was fine again
went in the pub for something to eat come out and it was fine
drove to the cinema and it must of been parked up for about 2 an half hours and it was fine when i got in and started it
then i come to this morning and it wont start - its weird

im a bit fooked now as I cant get the car anywhere for it to be looked at

I feel like crying

paz

White smoke is usually caused by water/coolant IIRC pal, I think it happens when the engine is trying to burn water with fuel in the cylinder - and is usually (at least on my shit fiat uno :( :lol:) a sign of headgasket failure.

Check your coolant levels and oil for signs of gasket failure and then you can cross that off your list one way or another :(

paz

Gray

I don't think its anything to do with coolant or oil
It went into hyper sr yesterday and they were messing all day with the fuelling and now today it wont start

even if it was head gasket it would still start - it wont even try to start

white smoke is either coolant, running lean or turbo on its way out
and considering the amount they were doing on the fuel system yesterday and the fact it wont turn over tells me its deffo the fuel

paz

Gray said:
I don't think its anything to do with coolant or oil
It went into hyper sr yesterday and they were messing all day with the fuelling and now today it wont start

even if it was head gasket it would still start - it wont even try to start

white smoke is either coolant, running lean or turbo on its way out
and considering the amount they were doing on the fuel system yesterday and the fact it wont turn over tells me its deffo the fuel
Blue smoke is usually turbo oil seals, not white ;)

And cars starting when the head gasket has gone isn't guaranteed either pal, trust me on that one - I'm an expert :roll: :cry: :lol:

Like I said, white smoke is usually coolant as far as 'books' tell it, obviously there are always exceptions. Like I said, just check it (if you haven't already) and you can cross it off your list.

Beyond that, clueless - just wanted to give you a starting point.

paz

Gray

No harm to check I guess but I know its nothing to do with that - i'll have a look on my dinner

Gray

Could it be anything to do with alternator / battery? As my battery light keeps flashing on and off when im driving not sure whether its a slack belt or dodgy alternator.

paz

I suppose if your alternator is ****ed, your battery might not have enough charge to turn the car over :? Have you tried jump starting it?

Paz

Gray

Havent tried jump starting it but it started this morning but was always trying to stall and no power or acceleration and car sounded like a subaru and lots of smoke