roll cages info : ) pls

chrisyleigh

Already had a spaxo thanks no crome cage tho , and start the thread for advice and to see if people have done it, and mark yes I was thinking all the whiteline kit ect and strut braces. However bit fucked if the car rolls don't think some nice new poly bushes would help ha , and I can understand its usualy one or the otherbut I was thinking surely it must of been done maybe a custom cage ? Like the cusco one maybe thicker? , I'm basicly a newby asking for peoples advice and experiance. Thanks for the comments tho lads , ps.. Vss irvine , I know someone with a spaxo with a crome cage you want his number, come on you know you've always wanted one haha

chrisyleigh

And mark ( washington) I never new they did centre ones never seen them ever but thanks , and what's your set up? Cheers again

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
And mark ( washington) I never new they did centre ones never seen them ever but thanks , and what's your set up? Cheers again
I still say that's of debatable use. Surely the B-pillar is already the strongest (and thereby stiffest) part of the monocoque; I don't see how a small piece of chromed steel across the floor makes any difference at the point where the upright sections meet the floor pan.

Those ones that sit higher up to allow you to mount a harness bar make more sense, but they make no claim about ridgidity; that's just about having your harness at the correct angle to keep you in the seat.

Anyway, as I said that the begining; anything is possible if you're prepared to throw money at it, but the main problem seems to be that for it to be a strong cage it needs to have appropriate bracing... which takes up the space where your interior would have been (or at the very least makes it almost impossible to access it).

chopper

Just a thought......
why dont you have a full cage made up without the diagonal bar and mount 1 bucket seat in the middle in the back. I have seen people do this before (not in a R) when they have lots of ice in the car. this way you will still be able to have one person in the back and your roll cage! dont know how you would go about it being legal for MOT reasons but theory is there. in the last year i have only had 1 person in the back for 1 20min journey. if i didnt want to keep it standard looking then i wouldn't think twice about ditching the back seats.

chrisyleigh

How about. a cusco style cage with a removeable diagnole cross? Or something like that so I can take it out when on road and that but on track days can bolt it it and I have rear passengers maybe 3times a week, a full car... Cheers and good thinking on the idea off a removable thing ha

johnsy

sounds like a lot of if ands buts, is it really worth the agro

you'd be better off spending the money on better brakes and/or suspension

Tim

When considering fitting a rollcage into any car, here is the first question you ask yourself..

Do I need to carry more than one passenger at any one time? If the answer is Yes, don't fit a roll cage.

williams

sounds like a lot of if ands buts, is it really worth the agro

you'd be better off spending the money on better brakes and/or suspension
are you really in theright frame of mind at the minute to be giving modifying advice? lol

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I had a safety devices cage in my car that allowed you to keep the rear seats but you lost the cover for the boot and you lost the rear seat belts. I did trackdays but took it out as cages are MORE dangerous on the road if you're not wearing a helmet and a harness. I missed the extra rigidity it gave so have considered a half cage.

As you want to take passengers in the back then this is not an option for you. I've never really understood a show cage and for the good it would do you may as well fabricate your own from some UPVC 2" waste-piping, at least that would be light weight :)

Seriously, don't bother and put the money into some professional tuition on track so you don't crash in the first place. I would recommend harnesses on track to keep you in your seat and stop you having to think about falling out all the time. Decent seats help with this as well. I had removable harnesses that could be clipped in and out. Not FIA approved but did the job of holding me in the seat.

Jim

Jon Olds

You should be able to pick up up good belts cheap. The stupid MSA rules force us to change them (datestamped) every few years, regardless of how much use they have had

MarkTurbo

You should be able to pick up up good belts cheap. The stupid MSA rules force us to change them (datestamped) every few years, regardless of how much use they have had
I got my Sabelt 3" 4 point harnesses for peanuts compared to what they cost new just because they were only dated upto 2010. The stupid thing is I can use them in my sprint/hillclimb car as we don't have the same stupid rules as rallying.

I'm sure the person in the msa that brought that rule in must have shares in all the seat and harness manufacturing company's :der:

Spikey

On a daily Diver a Roll cage is nothing but a pain. There are lots of other bracing options that you can benefit from.
Before of going thru the hassle of a roll Cage.